PDA

View Full Version : Draft Cost...

Lidralyn
05-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Will there be an in game currency for PvP kind of like MTGO tickets? So we can trade booster packs for whatever that currency is and use those to play more drafts? Or will each draft cost $1+3 packs, no exceptions?

houjix
05-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Platinum will be the premium currency that you buy with real money. That is most likely going to be your "tickets" equivalent.

Lidralyn
05-13-2013, 09:04 AM
But will Platinum be tradeable? so I can trade pack winnings to someone else for Platinum and then continue drafting?

Devaux
05-13-2013, 09:06 AM
But will Platinum be tradeable? so I can trade pack winnings to someone else for Platinum and then continue drafting?

Yeah you can use Platinum in trades.

Blare731
05-13-2013, 09:32 AM

There will be a Platinum AH so you can sell your winnings and keep playing.

Fireblast
05-13-2013, 09:38 AM
They never said boosters will be available to be sold in the AH.
Since they sell them too, they shouldn't.

What they should do is you queue your booster and they sell it for you when people buy boosters for $2.
(God i'm so smart sometimes)

~

Digital_Aether
05-13-2013, 09:50 AM
They only sell them for Platinum. The players should be able to sell the boosters for gold, and be able to make game money off free players who want PvP cards. It's a market that pay players would want, to obtain larger amounts of gold than the platinum to gold exchange. It also encourages free players to stick around, as they have hopes of getting into PvP for free. This is good because it consumes more boosters, and odds are they'll eventually be paying customers if they're getting that in to the PvP. Plus I'm sure the market value of boosters would be higher than the Platinum -> Gold exchange will offer, because that's going to be the price floor that the AH would need to beat.

Fireblast
05-13-2013, 09:57 AM
I was talking about selling boosters for plat.

If people can sell the boosters for $1.80, CZE loses, and the whole value or the game deflates.
I think boosters from KS, soft-sub and maybe even prize support have to be bound

~

Digital_Aether
05-13-2013, 10:01 AM
CZE looses nothing if they sell them for $1.80... Only CZE can give them out. The only way people can obtain boosters without paying $2 originally is to win them. The entry fee is used to pay for the winnings on tournaments, so there's no loss there either. Since you aren't going to be buying a $2 pack and selling it back for $1.80 (and if you do, CZE doesn't lose, you are), they can't game the system.

Edit: Boosters from the KS are already paid for. Soft sub ones are paid for as well, though at less than $2. That's going to be a limited amount of cards though, and they've all been paid for, even if at a discount. That's not going to be so many cards as to destabilize the game economy.

Blare731
05-13-2013, 10:02 AM
I was talking about selling boosters for plat.

If people can sell the boosters for $1.80, CZE loses, and the whole value or the game deflates.
I think boosters from KS, soft-sub and maybe even prize support have to be bound

~

I doubt it because at the very least you should be able to sell for gold. That way someone who primarily plays PvP and wins can sell their extra packs for the gold they are not going to be farming and it benefits a PvE player by allowing them to buy packs without having to spend money.

And if people can buy things with gold, like cards or equip, then turn around to sell them. Then they can just buy packs with gold anyway but it would be easier to just be able to sell packs for gold.

Fireblast
05-13-2013, 10:05 AM
CZE looses nothing if they sell them for $1.80... Only CZE can give them out. The only way people can obtain boosters without paying $2 originally is to win them. The entry fee is used to pay for the winnings on tournaments, so there's no loss there either. Since you aren't going to be buying a $2 pack and selling it back for $1.80 (and if you do, CZE doesn't lose, you are), they can't game the system.

Edit: Boosters from the KS are already paid for. Soft sub ones are paid for as well, though at less than $2. That's going to be a limited amount of cards though, and they've all been paid for, even if at a discount. That's not going to be so many cards as to destabilize the game economy.

Draft entry is $1 so $8 for I guess 8 boosters
6-2/5-3 for hardcore
4-2-1-1 for casual

There will be too many "cheap" booster in the game if they are not bound meaning buying $2 from CZE shop feels like a rip-off, which it shouldn't

~

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 10:06 AM
You forget the get an AH cut too, so actually they profit even more if people sell them again.

Also, count up how many boosters used to enter - 3x8 = 24. 24 boosters leave circulation for an estimated 8. Seems like crazy good turnover for them.

Erebus
05-13-2013, 10:07 AM
I really hope they don't bound Booster packs.

A lot of people are already thinking of using extra booster packs to give to friends they want to entice to play the game.

And Digital_Aether is right, if you sell your boosters for 1.80, then in the end, it's still one person up a booster and down 1.80, you down a .20 and CZE up $2.00 and down a booster. One Booster = 2 for CZE, that's all that matters. And as long as the game is thriving, there will be a higher demand for boosters then available supply.

What is most likely is that most players will over-charge for boosters, because for some players platinum is more easy to acquire then actual disposable income. It happens in MTG:Online all the time. They use the drafting fee tickets as a sort of soft currency, used to trade back and forth for wanted rares and draft packs.

Digital_Aether
05-13-2013, 10:09 AM
For those 8 $1 boosters, 24 boosters were consumed. That ratio is important, because it means there's a limited proportion of cheap boosters vs paid boosters. Even collecting all the winning boosters, you'd have to come up with 16 more cards at $2 to fill the void, putting the average price at $1.66 per booster. Now, if you combine a soft sub, you might bring down some more, but that assumes people are rarely playing draft because you can only get 1 booster a week that way.

Lidralyn
05-13-2013, 10:45 AM
This may be a dumb question....but I see it everywhere....what is a "soft sub?"

Digital_Aether
05-13-2013, 10:47 AM
It was said that they're planning to offer a "soft subscription" that is $4 a month for one booster a week. So you get one half price booster a week.

Daer
05-13-2013, 10:47 AM
This may be a dumb question....but I see it everywhere....what is a "soft sub?"

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23046&p=206087&viewfull=1#post206087

We will also be offering a soft subscription model that, for a small monthly fee, will get you 1 booster per week. All for the low cost of $4 USD per month. So yea, you get twice the value in just boosters. You don't have to have the subscription, but seems like a good value :-)

syphonhail
05-13-2013, 11:23 AM
It was said that they're planning to offer a "soft subscription" that is $4 a month for one booster a week. So you get one half price booster a week.

It's slightly better than that. You are paying 92.3 cents a booster.

Rapkannibale
05-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Magic the Gathering online allows the selling and trading of booster packs and am pretty sure they are doing alright. :) boosters should not be bound. For example lets say I prefer drafting set 1 and someone else prefers drafting set 2. I happen to have some left over set 2 boosters from the release draft tournament and he/she still has some set one boosters left from
The KS incentives. Wouldn't it be a shame if we couldn't trade?

Also of someone wants to give boosters to friends to entire them to au, what is wrong with that? The more the merrier! :)

Blare731
05-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Magic the Gathering online allows the selling and trading of booster packs and am pretty sure they are doing alright. :) boosters should not be bound. For example lets say I prefer drafting set 1 and someone else prefers drafting set 2. I happen to have some left over set 2 boosters from the release draft tournament and he/she still has some set one boosters left from
The KS incentives. Wouldn't it be a shame if we couldn't trade?

Also of someone wants to give boosters to friends to entire them to au, what is wrong with that? The more the merrier! :)

Actually now that I think about we know that the packs will be tradable. Kyle said that when set 2 comes out you can trade set 1 packs for set 2 if that is what you desired.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23044

nearlysober
05-13-2013, 11:42 AM

Boosters are for sure not bound in at least that you'll be able to trade them, that has been confirmed. Wasn't specified if they could be listed on the AH. I can't find the specific post but the example was trading boosters between sets between players. So I imagine you could also trade for gold or plat.

But yeah... if you want to undercut CZE on a booster they just profit twice since they get a cut of AH sales. Also, if sets go "out of print" in the future (no official response from CZE on this yet) the only way to acquire a sealed booster would be from another player.

Even if old boosters are devalued due to being out of Limited format, having the ability to sell via the AH marketplace would be handy for people who want to buy discounted (feels funny to say discounted when a booster already only costs $2 hehe) boosters.

nearlysober
05-13-2013, 11:43 AM

Boosters are for sure not bound in at least that you'll be able to trade them, that has been confirmed. Wasn't specified if they could be listed on the AH. I can't find the specific post but the example was trading boosters between sets between players. So I imagine you could also trade for gold or plat.

But yeah... if you want to undercut CZE on a booster they just profit twice since they get a cut of AH sales. Yeah we get a lot of "free" ones from the Kickstarter, but we are paying "something for those".

Also, if sets go "out of print" in the future (no official response from CZE on this yet) the only way to acquire a sealed booster would be from another player. Relying only on trade/chat to do this would be inconvenient.

Even if old boosters are devalued due to being out of Limited format, having the ability to sell via the AH marketplace would be handy for people who want to buy discounted (feels funny to say discounted when a booster already only costs $2 hehe) boosters.

Tyrfang
05-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Really considering how many players play limited format, I'm sure boosters will retain their value (although commons/bad uncommons/bad rares might become worthless...)

For the flood of poor cards, they probably would require some sort of card sink to turn them back into boosters or just new cards/foils/alternate art/collector's versions.

Liokae
05-13-2013, 01:55 PM
For the flood of poor cards, they probably would require some sort of card sink

Crafting.

Ebynfel
05-13-2013, 03:53 PM
The only crafting they've announced so far has been for PVE cards, and thus not for cards that will be found in boosters. I'm cool with it, gives me more options for the PVE side I will likely spend much less time on than the PVP side.