PDA

View Full Version : Pro Player - Grand King ... please explain me

Shakalaka
05-13-2013, 11:13 AM
As far as i see Pro Player Tier is the best to choose if you want to play mainly PvP.

All the other stuff i see in Grand Kind is PVE only stuff, or did i miss anything?

What shall i do with more dungeon boss loot, what with another hand card?

Really ... PVE content for a really experienced player is allready pretty easy ... why make it even more easy and take the fun out of it?

Any reason for a PVP Player to go for Grand King?

Thx, Shaka

Erebus
05-13-2013, 11:14 AM
If you're not really a collector, there's no reason. Some people have been able to pledge multiple Pro-Tiers by using multiple KS accounts or paypal pledges.

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Grand king is strictly for the people who want more than one reward from the tiers. It isn't meant to be inherently PvP based, or PvE based, it is just an all-in-one.

Blare731
05-13-2013, 11:17 AM
In theory, no there really isn't a good reason for a pure PvP player to go Gk except that with collectors tier you will also be getting 2 of every exclusive alt art card which means u guarantied to have them twice. Other than that, I really can't see a benefit if you don't want to PvE.

But from a PvE perspective, yeah it will make it easier, but you can switch all the stuff off if you want to make it harder at some points. Personally I think that it isn't too much of a gain. For instance, 1 extra card in your hand will help, but not break it. Getting 100% extra loot just means you have to farm less really. 10% exp same reasoning. So it's not really breaking PvE in anyway. The raid leader blessing is probably the only thing that out right is a big help.

Shakalaka
05-13-2013, 11:19 AM
OK, will take a Pro Player it seems ... still $250 dollar for a game we dont even know if its really good.

Blare731
05-13-2013, 11:20 AM
OK, will take a Pro Player it seems ... still $250 dollar for a game we dont even know if its really good.

I keep hearing people say that. Obviously I don't know if it is or not, but to be honest if you ever loved playing card games I feel that this just brings it to a whole new level of play.

Shakalaka
05-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Thats what we hope ... but the official MTG Online was a total fail, at least i really didnt like it (and i played real MTG for years, pretty hardcore).

BKCshah
05-13-2013, 11:28 AM
if by total fail, you mean something that has existed for almost 11 years and 'key' non-redemmable cards have retained value - I'll take it every day of the week and gladly throw my money behind this project in droves. Still yet to support.

Blare731
05-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Thats what we hope ... but the official MTG Online was a total fail, at least i really didnt like it (and i played real MTG for years, pretty hardcore).

But your talking about a game that already has a huge paper based economy and structure. My roommate plays Magic and he even said that if he wasn't so heavily invested in it he would most likely play this.

This is totally knew and therefore no reason for people to choose the paper version over it, and there are so many knew features because it is fully digital. I think to each his own, but I can't see this fail, especially with it being F2P (unlike MTG)

Turtlewing
05-13-2013, 11:29 AM
As far as i see Pro Player Tier is the best to choose if you want to play mainly PvP.

All the other stuff i see in Grand Kind is PVE only stuff, or did i miss anything?

No I don't think you've missed anything, that's about my assessment as well.

Though, you may have missed that approximately 50% of the game is not PvP, and presumably by extension on the order of 25% of players (half of half of all players to take a wild guess) will have no interest in PvP, and thus no use for the pro player perk, but may find the PvE perks attractive.

Shakalaka
05-13-2013, 11:30 AM
The interesting PVP part is far from f2p :)

Blare731
05-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Well f2p not interesting to you, doesn't mean not interesting to the millions of other people.

BKCshah
05-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Did anyone here play Baten Kaitos games? If there's enough story in the PvE to give me a similar feeling to that - I'd be happy.

This is essentially two different platforms. However they share a common element in that they are card based. It's interesting and has a lot of potential. PvE items can also have a ton of value potentially. It's unknown the power that computer decks will hold, rarity drops and various other items that all will influence the experience like any other mmorpg.

Shakalaka
05-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Well, in with Pro Player Tier now :)

Tyrfang
05-13-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm sure as the game matures, there will be unrestricted pve deck battles as well, but I do have a few concerns that the devs will focus either too much on pve content ...or not at all.

JMFD
05-13-2013, 12:22 PM
They are boasting over 100 hours of PvE content pre launch, I would be willing to bet they definitely won't have any shortage of time spent on PvE content in the future. The PvP content is really just providing a steady amount of tournaments, providing balanced cards, and an easy to use smooth interface. A competitive commnunity will handle the rest.

BKCshah
05-13-2013, 12:31 PM
The PvP content is really just providing a steady amount of tournaments, providing balanced cards, and an easy to use smooth interface.

Providing balanced cards. 3 simple words, so seldom achieved.

WSzaboPeter
05-13-2013, 01:11 PM
I think the decision at this point is not about what's good for you, but what's good for the game. It is quite obvious that before the release every penny worth a lot more before the launch than after, from a game developers perspective. So the real question is: how much can you commit to help the game succeed, thus creating the very best TCG ever made. I have chosen Grand King because I felt that I should help the devs with as much as I can afford, since they are turning my dream into reality. (Looking for an MTG replacement since Odessey block.)

Jugan
05-13-2013, 01:16 PM

You clearly don't know what you're talking about... MTGO is so successful that it's actually taking away a significant portion of paper sales, and is actually becoming a problem for WotC because printing costs are increasing, and every year MTGO grows more and more popular.

Kami
05-13-2013, 01:28 PM
MTGO averages 2000-4000 concurrent online players daily. It makes up roughly 30-50% of WoTC's income. I have no idea where you get that it's unsuccessful.

Talreth
05-13-2013, 01:32 PM
I have the feeling that Shaka was talking about the online MTG game that WoTC released that was available on Steam and consoles and stuff. That version had preset decks/cards and was rather limited in what people could do with it, but yes it is very different from MTGO.

Shakalaka
05-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Shaka was indeed talking about MTGO - but i never used the word "unsucessfull" - i said it was a fail for me ... i really dont care if it is a a problem for WoTC or a huge win.

It was (at least while i played it) ugly, SPAMFUL (millions of automated bots) and there wasnt really something like a community.

Erebus
05-13-2013, 09:45 PM
It was a lot better when it first came out, Shakalaka. The graphics weren't great but they weren't too bad. Trading was more player to player and people seemed to be pretty respectful. As I stated in another thread I enjoyed participating in Player ran live auctions that were a ton of fun.

But today is just extremely cluttered and filled with trade bots (not always bad when you just want to find a couple hundred commons to make your pauper deck cheap).

However, saying a similar project was a "total fail" during the Kickstart might not be the wisest thing, especially when it's not apparently obvious to be just opinion. :)