PDA

View Full Version : Transformation Nation

Shaqattaq
05-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Now, let me paint a quick picture for you. Imagine, for a moment, that you are playing a TCG. On your side of the board you have a totally innocent dragon egg just hanging out, not bothering anyone. Now imagine that the dragon egg can eventually turn into a dragon, provided it survives long enough to hatch, and nothing would make you happier than to unleash the full fury of said dragon on your opponent.

http://hextcg.com/transformation-nation/

Dekester
05-13-2013, 02:20 PM
So can we assume Steadfast means it doesn't exhaust to attack and spellshield means it is untargetable?

Shaqattaq
05-13-2013, 04:22 PM
You are correct on Steadfast. Spellshield means that the opponent can't target it with opposing actions or troop powers. Anything with 'target.'

Maligance
05-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Looks pretty awesome. I was pleasantly surprised to see cards that give you options of how you want to transform it, and I really like the sheer amount of possibilities you have with this mechanic. Makes me curious just how much we'll see this mechanic in the first set, and if we'll have (m)any cards that can toggle back and forth (similar to Magic's werewolf creatures).

I do have a question in regard to the Soul Marble: Can you pay 1 at any time you have priority to add a counter or only during your turn? Like, can I wait until the end of my opponent's turn to threaten interactions, and then when I don't do anything just dump it all?

Also, with the Ascetic Aspirant: What does the symbol before his tranform mean? I assume this is how you trigger his transform, is it you just exhaust him? If I'm reading this correctly, you can just make sure you have 6 cards and then transform him. Then next turn you get your seventh from him, he transforms again, and then during your draw step you should tutor for anything you want....

mauvebutterfly
05-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Also, with the Ascetic Aspirant: What does the symbol before his tranform mean? I assume this is how you trigger his transform, is it you just exhaust him? If I'm reading this correctly, you can just make sure you have 6 cards and then transform him. Then next turn you get your seventh from him, he transforms again, and then during your draw step you should tutor for anything you want....

Keep in mind that cards are your most valuable resource in most TCGs. If you have 6 cards in your hand because you haven't been playing them and your opponent only has 1 or 2 cards left in their hand, assuming equal skill and deck strength I'd expect your opponent to be in a much better position than you. The Transcended has a really powerful ability, but not playing cards for a couple of turns is a huge cost.

Of course building your deck with a lot of defensive cards and/or card draw effects might help to get you through the transformation safely and quickly. In this case you're devoting a good chunk of your deck towards getting the combo off, so it still has an expense of sorts.

Maligance
05-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Maybe I've just been pouring my resources into Soul Marbles while keeping Extinctions handy if things get out of hand. Then I can just plop down Aspirant, transform him, and dominate the rest of the game. I think we haven't seen enough of the card pool to see just how good rushing cards out every turn may be....

Kitsune
05-13-2013, 08:45 PM
I have to be honest, neither of those outcomes are worth 11 mana. Not even close. If you added, 'At the start of your turn, add 1 sculpture counter.' to the text to give the player a choice between spending mana and waiting for it to gain counters over time, it would be closer to useful, but even then I wouldn't call it an amazing card.

Dragkin
05-13-2013, 08:56 PM
I tend to agree with you on that. Its just not entirely worth the overall cost. However, the way I see it is something that you spend resources on when you have nothing else to spend resources on. At least for me, its not so bad if its seen like that. Still, of all the cards I've seen spoiled - this one is the least interesting so far.

Devaux
05-13-2013, 08:57 PM
The real benefit to this is that you can throw in the bits of left over resources you have over the course of a game and get it eventually. Or you leave up resources for a removal spell and if they play something you want to remove then you cast the spell, If they dont then you just pour the rest into the marble. The card isn't the same as an 11 cost spell.

Though i'm not too optimistic for how useful it will be I am hopeful.

Fireblast
05-14-2013, 05:31 AM
Soul Marble could be the kill in a control deck tho

˜

Devaux
05-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Right. Thats what I was thinking. You could tap out turn 1 and then leave up mana for the rest of the game.

Fireblast
05-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Or tap out turn 6 after Extinction have have a 5/5 by turn 10-12 :D

˜

Boojum
05-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I see it as something you put into a deck with multiple counterspells or other cards you want to play on the opponent's turn, and use it to soak up any mana you don't wind up using. Not especially exciting, but it has a niche.