PDA

View Full Version : Resource Question

Maligance
05-13-2013, 05:14 PM
I was telling one of my friends about this earlier and we came up with a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. When you play a resource it increases your threshold for that resource. Does that threshold get "used" at all during your turn? As an example, if you play a ruby threshold turn 1, then on turn 2 play a wild threshold (giving you 2 resources), could you play two cards that each cost 1 resource with a ruby threshold of 1? Or, since you only have a single ruby, could you only play a single one of those cards?

Also, are there plans for "dual resource" cards that grant multiple threshold (similar to Magic's dual lands)? If the threshold isn't used at all it probably makes sense that they won't be necessary at all, which will make deck building much easier. Dual lands are one of the most annoying aspects of building (and funding) decks in Magic and I would be happy to know that we won't need any of them. Though it also raises the question of will we have cards with multiple thresholds (ruby and diamond on the same card, for example)?

JoonYoungK
05-13-2013, 05:19 PM
I believe once you "breach" the threshold it remains available for all cards. This was a function in Wars TCG card game.

Boojum
05-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Once you have a certain threshold, it's never used up. In your example, you could play both 1R cards.

They've stated that there will be some sort of special sources, but not what form they will take.

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Lets say you have one blue threshold, and five red. You could play any number of 1 cost cards with one blue threshold, or any other card that only needs one blue threshold. But you couldn't play something that needs six red threshold without playing another red resource.

It's pretty dynamic, and very nicely thought out.

Erebus
05-13-2013, 05:27 PM
That Reply to thread button is badly located.

Threshold and Mana are different.

Threshold stays constant, equal to the number of each resource of that color you've played.

Mana is equal to the total number of resources you control and is what is "spent" to play cards.

Erebus
05-13-2013, 05:28 PM
It also allows them to create cards with costs lower then their threshold, to create late game, cheap but powerful cards.

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 05:30 PM
It also allows them to create cards with costs lower then their threshold, to create late game, cheap but powerful cards.

This is a fantastic point. Another layer of depth yet to be seen.

Maligance
05-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Similar to Serra Avenger in Magic, being only 2 mana to cast but it can't be played until turn 4.

I know, Magic references galore, but it's what I know. :)

Erebus
05-13-2013, 06:00 PM
I just learned this today, but I suppose I should share for people who don't read thoroughly like me.

Some cards can be gemmed, and gemming them increases their Threshold requirement.

This is useful for mono-resource decks, but can also be useful for duo or tri-color decks. You can give your Green Beater Rage, or your White defender flight, etc.

This allows you to play with no only your mana curve, but also your threshold curve.

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Gemming increases the threshold requirement? Thats a tasty tidbit that slipped through the cracks. That makes all socketed cards a little less useful overall, as they will mostly be later game plays.

The customisation is worth it though.

EDIT: Just went and scoured the page - no wonder it was so easy to miss, but here it is :

Each gem will enhance the card it is socketed onto in some way, provided that you control at least one of the shard thresholds that is associated with that gem. If you don’t have that threshold, you can still play your card as normal, but that power won’t activate until you obtain the necessary threshold.

So what this means is you can't just dump a blue gem in your red card and get away with playing mono, but in multi colour decks it will be fine, etc. So I see many more decks going super focused mono, or splashing all sorts of fun things.

I like it.

JoonYoungK
05-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Another way to look at this is like this: Threshold is like reputations in wow Once you pass the first you can get everything from their first level. It all depends on how much gold (mana) you have available. Second threshold lets you get more, third allows for everything (or almost everything. Dunno if there's a 4th.) Getting 1 tier with red doesn't let you get any green stuff. but If you threshold 1 green you have access to all their level 1 stuff.

Erebus
05-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Gemming increases the threshold requirement? Thats a tasty tidbit that slipped through the cracks. That makes all socketed cards a little less useful overall, as they will mostly be later game plays.

The customisation is worth it though.

Sorry, I was incorrect, you have to have the threshold available to use the ability the gem is associated with, it doesn't actually increase the threshold requirement to "play" the card.

I.e. if you have a green 2 threshold with 1 blue gem in it (for example Minor: flight). You can play him once you have 2 green threshold, but he won't fly until you actually have at least 1 blue threshold.

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Exactly. It is quite elegant and prevents abuse. I am more impressed with it now than I was before.