PDA

View Full Version : Finally a game why digital TCG make sense.

MugenMusou
05-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Compared to many of you here, my trading card experience is rather slim. Merely 5-6 years on and off. When I started it never made sense for me to pay for digital copy of a card but also I did not have people who play TCG around me. So despite my interest in the TCG for long time, the first game I played was called Eye of Judgment. This was a TCG that used technology of physical card scanned into digital world (PS3). Despite rather simple game play, the first experience of TCG for me confirmed I indeed loved TCG. Then I played some Magic Online, little bit of Yu Gi Oh (PSP), Shadow Era, and now playing Infinity Wars.

Though at this point I am somewhat used to with the concept of digital TCG, and paying for it, I still keep hoping the technology used in Eye of Judgment will come back again because it truly integrated physical and digital world i.e. satisfaction of physical card collection with ease of digital play.

This feeling kept coming back because I could not separate physical/paper cards from the digital card games I played because those games seem to play the same on paper, and digital version just takes care of the tedious calculations, and gives easier access to opponents.

However, HEX said they made this game from ground up with digital exclusive in mind. Seeing card like Replicator's Gambit and now stretch goal reward Spectral Assassin make total sense. These cards only work in digital environment. That's why this is digital TCG!!

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/SpectralAssassin_Gear_Web.png

I know some people may still feel paying for digital card is ridiculous, but with HEX it may make sense as this game is only possible with digital technology. Anyone feel the same way?

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 06:35 PM
I do - but I felt like that on day one, I didnt need more proof. This game has some genuises behind the wheel, and I can't wait to see what they do.

nearlysober
05-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Stuff like this, which is only truly possible in digital format is awesome.

Another example (which i think will be PVP eligible) is inserting "traps" into your opponents deck... would be impossible to do with live cards.

And then all the small things... like counters/bonuses tracked on the card... no need for "tokens" (this tiny piece of paper with 2/2 written on it is an orc!). No mixing your DoTs/constants into your buddies deck by accident after a game :)

MugenMusou
05-13-2013, 06:42 PM
@Xenavire

Damn. You are six days ahead of me. (Assuming you did not know HEX before kickstarter).

@nearlysober

Yeah you are right. Inserting card into opponent's deck is another great example you can hardly try in physical card. Imagine some precious card collector has his card inserted into opponent's players deck, and whenever he shuffles the deck.

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Stuff like this, which is only truly possible in digital format is awesome.

Another example (which i think will be PVP eligible) is inserting "traps" into your opponents deck... would be impossible to do with live cards.

And then all the small things... like counters/bonuses tracked on the card... no need for "tokens" (this tiny piece of paper with 2/2 written on it is an orc!). No mixing your DoTs/constants into your buddies deck by accident after a game :)

Oh god, this reminds me of this one guy that played at my hobby shop - we would play huge multiplayer MTG games, and this guy would play crazy, awesome decks (one was even over a thousand cards, and could still win).

Well, my favourite memory of him was this: he combo'd infinitely, stole every card on the board, and killed everyone in a single turn. Epic. And he had class about it - he went through every single card and said 'This is mine. This is mine. This is mine.'

Just amazing, and tons of fun.

ShaolinRaven
05-13-2013, 06:53 PM
I love how they are using the digital space for more then just ease of keeping counters and tokens tracked. The types of cards and combos they can create with this is just amazing because card effects aren't limited to what can feasibly be kept up with in a physical card game.

Tyrfang
05-13-2013, 07:07 PM
There is one other benefit to all-digital...
Although, there can be bugs, it isn't possible to have a rules argument mid-game.

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Maybe there will be a chance to contest rulings for those out-there scenarios (one in a million chances) but I see that as tournament only features anyway (I mean the real big tournaments for big money).