PDA

View Full Version : 1st edition versiosn of cards?

DanTheMeek
05-13-2013, 07:42 PM
While I am strongly against ever "stopping print" on any set of cards, especially of the pvp variety, I have always liked how some games differentiate the first run of cards from subsequent ones, either with special borders or just a small "1st edition" symbol some where on the card. This system makes even more sense in the digital space, where it makes no sense to stop allowing people to purchase sets, but having even something as small as a special border for 1st edition cards can increase the value of the cards of early adopters. In this way, new comers dont' miss out on anything from a gameplay stand point, the non-first edition cards remain the same as far as use is concerned, just have a slgiht, relatively simple to implement, visual variation. It also allows the game to have increased discounts or even permanent sales on early sets to increase spending on sets that aren't selling well anymore and to help new comers catch up quickly with out devaluing the early adopters cards quite so much.

So all that said, is this something Hex intends to do? Certainly not a big deal if they aren't, but because of how well it would seem to work for a digital game and I haven't heard anything about such a thing being planned, figured I'd check. If it is being done, is the first edition run going to be based on a set number of pack sales, or at a fixed time, where after a certain number of weeks/months after release all cards from the set stop having the "first edition" variant on them?

nearlysober
05-13-2013, 07:45 PM
I dont think they've announced if they will retire previous sets and "stop print". There's a long discussion on it here: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23072

However they have announced that main competitions will follow block formats.