PDA

View Full Version : Authenticator Question

Maligance
05-14-2013, 05:05 AM
How much will an Authenticator cost? I know that for Blizzard games it's only a couple of bucks and was hoping it would be about the same here. Or will they go out as a perk for any KS backers?

d00dz
05-14-2013, 05:06 AM
I asked this question when I talked with Corey yesterday and he said that they are looking into SMS and/or mobile app authentication.

Devaux
05-14-2013, 06:57 AM
So then you won't be able to get a token?

cross09
05-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Probably not. It will probably all be digital Devaux.

Devaux
05-14-2013, 06:59 AM
great. So I'm gonna have to buy an iPhone?

cross09
05-14-2013, 07:02 AM
SMS feature, if possible, would be via text messaging so as long as you have a phone capable of text messaging that would work. I am sure that they would have apps for iOS and Android though as well. We will have to wait and see what they decide to do.

Mushroom_C1oud
05-14-2013, 07:04 AM
It is possible they could make an app for all smart phones, but I think they are avoiding any physical products because of manufacturing, shipping, and customs costs.

Xenavire
05-14-2013, 07:04 AM
There are a large number of smartphones out there, and I am sure they wont limit it so much anyway (that is a kind of elitism fans wont want, and they listen to fans.)

If it goes that way, find a cheap smartphone on a semi-decent plan - I did and got a really good phone out of it.

cross09
05-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Worst case if they make it for iOS only (which I doubt they will) is just buy a used iPod Touch and it will work perfectly.

Xenavire
05-14-2013, 07:14 AM
If they only make it for iOS a TON of people will be upset (an authenticator is account security - much more important than a portable version of the game.)

Quite simply, they can't ignore android. If they make for one, they HAVE to make for both.

Daer
05-14-2013, 07:15 AM
I'd like at least the option to purchase a physical authenticator from them.

Kami
05-14-2013, 07:15 AM
I'd rather not have a separate token. I already have one for Square-Enix, a few for various banks, and even one for PayPal. Having that many fobs is annoying.

I'd prefer mobile app over SMS (due to cost in some countries for sending AND receiving) and I'd be able to have it all in one place on my device.

Rapkannibale
05-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Pretty sure it will be an iOS and Android app. They can probably just outsource that work as there are many of these apps already out there and it would pretty much just need a reskin.

(I'm not a coder so it may actually be a ton of work to make one)

karmacappa
05-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Even if you don't have an android/iOS device, you can always just use Bluestacks to create an android environment on your computer.

Vengus
05-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Even if you don't have an android/iOS device, you can always just use Bluestacks to create an android environment on your computer.
Hmm that sounds like an interesting option. I have never heard of it but it looks like a nice solution to me if said authenticator apps work on the PC. The only issue with it is that it could be susceptible to viruses.

Boojum
05-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Yeah, the whole point of an authenticator is having something that won't be compromised if the computer gets a virus or keylogger, so putting the authenticator on the computer seems counterproductive. Though I suppose that that sort of emulation-based solution will probably be rare enough that thieves might not bother targeting it, so it's still better than nothing.

Devaux
05-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Yeah, the whole point of an authenticator is having something that won't be compromised if the computer gets a virus or keylogger, so putting the authenticator on the computer seems counterproductive. Though I suppose that that sort of emulation-based solution will probably be rare enough that thieves might not bother targeting it, so it's still better than nothing.

But not as good as being able to get a token.

karmacappa
05-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Nope, not really subject to viruses or keyloggers. It would be subject to problems if others have physical access to your computer though.
Essentially, even if you install the authenticator in Bluestacks, it operates under a different principle than a password. Passwords are "something you know". Therefore, if you allow someone else to "know" your password, you're in trouble. Authenticators are "something you own" and are unique to the device they're on. Someone else would have to have physical access to your computer, as the chances of some random intrusion on your PC being able to clone your Bluestacks environment flawlessly are probably less than your chance of being hit by random pieces of space debris.

Cailin_Coilleach
05-15-2013, 06:38 AM
Honestly, there's no need for a custom application.

Google Authenticator is a standardized and open platform which works exactly like the tokens or custom apps people are talking about. Benefits: it is free, it is open, it is cross-platform, it already exists and it is well documented.

SMS would be an option for those without smartphones.

JMFD
05-15-2013, 06:46 AM
I didn't think people existed that didn't have smart phones anymore. Especially considering this is an MMO/TCG, shouldn't we all be nerds here?

Certainly the concept of choosing whether we want an app or a fob isn't far fetched. I would prefer an app but have a tendency to break phones every once in a while, would hate to be stuck at home with no phone and no way to play my new favorite game lol.

Vengus
05-15-2013, 06:49 AM
I didn't think people existed that didn't have smart phones anymore. Especially considering this is an MMO/TCG, shouldn't we all be nerds here?

Certainly the concept of choosing whether we want an app or a fob isn't far fetched. I would prefer an app but have a tendency to break phones every once in a while, would hate to be stuck at home with no phone and no way to play my new favorite game lol.
I live in mom's basement, what would I need a phone for?

Devaux
05-15-2013, 06:50 AM

I have WP7 which is never supported by Android/iOS apps.

And that's what I'm saying. Even if I had a phone that could run these apps I'd still rather have a token. I take it that authenticators aren't something you can buy from a third party and register to your respective service? (I know veeeeeeeery little about how authenticators work.)

JMFD
05-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Out of you two responses I am not sure whch would be worse.

Living in my mother's basement ... or owning a Windows Phone.

Devaux
05-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Out of you two responses I am not sure whch would be worse.

Living in my mother's basement ... or owning a Windows Phone.

Thanks...

Good to know that my choice of phone is a bad response in a discussion about accessibility of authenticators.

JMFD
05-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks...

Good to know that my choice of phone is a bad response in a discussion about accessibility of authenticators.

Be cool man, I was making a joke.

But that reason is why I think there should be a choice between getting an app or a fob. I personally don't want to carry a fob, but I can understand that not everyoen is going to have access to a smartphone, and security is something every player should have easy access too.

Devaux
05-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Be cool man, I was making a joke.

But that reason is why I think there should be a choice between getting an app or a fob. I personally don't want to carry a fob, but I can understand that not everyoen is going to have access to a smartphone, and security is something every player should have easy access too.

Oh ok cool. People get pretty opinionated about their phones. We're cool.

Also, I had an authenticator on my phone once and had to go a week without a charger. That was rough.

JMFD
05-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Oh ok cool. People get pretty opinionated about their phones. We're cool.

Also, I had an authenticator on my phone once and had to go a week without a charger. That was rough.

Yeah, I think I mentioned earlier I seem to break phones often. If I had to sit home with no phone and no way to play a game I was addicted to I would go nuts lol.

judas42
05-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Perhaps they could just use Google Authenticator. It's available on all major mobile platforms and we wouldn't need yet another authenticator app. There are Java-implementations, too, in case you don't have your phone ready ;)

And I think an authenticator should be a requirement for everything related to real money.

Stok3d
05-15-2013, 07:48 AM
How much will an Authenticator cost? I know that for Blizzard games it's only a couple of bucks and was hoping it would be about the same here. Or will they go out as a perk for any KS backers?

Authenticator should cost exactly what they have into it if they go for a physical device. Let blizzard's lawsuit help realize that answer: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/10/blizzard-sued-over-battlenet-authentication

I'm a big fan of the phone authenicator though.

Cailin_Coilleach
05-15-2013, 08:05 AM
When it comes to Windows Phone, apparently this app is compatible with Google Authenticator.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/authenticator/e7994dbc-2336-4950-91ba-ca22d653759b

And as Judas implies, there are ways of getting it on the desktop as well.

Xenavire
05-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Hey, I don't care if I need to sped $10 for extra security - people do that for their houses, why not for a game? I could jsut use the keys, but someone could get a copy.

So I hope they have the keychain type as well as the phone type, just so people can choose. You shouldn't be punished for not having a phone, and despite my mentioning it is easy enough to get one these days, $10 is a lot cheaper, for the same (or better) security.

Just my thoughts, as someone who owns a smartphone and a blizzard authenticator.