PDA

View Full Version : Longevity and the future of Hex

cross09
05-14-2013, 06:58 AM
I am a supporter of Hex and I am very excited to get into this game. The Kickstarter is continuing to plunge ahead into further stretch goals and we are all happy with this game that we will get to play soon.

After viewing today's Penny Arcarde comic, "Realness" (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic), it did bring up a very troubling point. What happens 5 years or 10 years down the road when Hex is no longer new? Will Hex have continued support from Cryptozoic? What happens at the time in the future if Cryptozoic (or possible parent company, if they get bought) decides that Hex is not making as much money as it did before and wants to close the game down?
Without any physical cards, if the servers shut down everything is lost and everyone loses.

I hope that this never happens. It is scary though because of the amount of money that is being put into this game by players in this Kickstarter and via purchases post-launch.

I would very much like to hear something from Cryptozoic about this to help calm fears.

Thanks

Mushroom_C1oud
05-14-2013, 07:02 AM
It is inevitable that HEX will shut down someday. It could be 5 years, it could be 50 years. I will always keep that in mind when deciding just how much I want to spend on cards.

Devaux
Honestly them saying something about this is just setting themselves up to eat their words.

Their enthusiasm speaks for itself and there's no doubt in my mind that they're going to support HEX as long as is physically possible.

Every time I've seen a company try to make some sort of promise so early on it always comes back to bite them is some way.

And I saw the Penny-Arcade too. Did you read Tycho's write-up about the comic?

Xenavire
MTG is going fine after colse to 20 years, WoW fine after around 10-ish.

If the game is good enough people will stay for the long haul.

cross09
05-14-2013, 07:05 AM
It is inevitable that HEX will shut down someday. It could be 5 years, it could be 50 years. I will always keep that in mind when deciding just how much I want to spend on cards.

Yeah. Let's hope its closer to 50 then 5 =P

Mushroom_C1oud
05-14-2013, 07:07 AM
MTG is going fine after colse to 20 years, WoW fine after around 10-ish.

If the game is good enough people will stay for the long haul.

With MTG and WoWTCG you can still play even if they close their doors. Will it be possible to continue to play HEX if they shut down the servers?

Xenavire
05-14-2013, 07:10 AM
I meant WoW the MMO, and thats a better comparison - I think as long as they earn money, they can pay to keep the servers up. And we might get a Hex 2 (hopefully everyones progress will be carried over, and it is only created because they want to expand more.)

It will be a wait and see thing, but considering things generally improve over time with this sort of game, we should have a decent amount of time before they even consider closing their doors.

Kami
05-14-2013, 07:12 AM
I expect this game to last at least a decade if not more. The upkeep for a game like this isn't significant, most of it will be R&D, graphical work, and community management. I don't think the servers themselves will ever be a significant issue in terms of cost.

Considering CZE's track history, ten years would already be considered average. And also considering this is potentially a ground-breaking title (i.e. first of its kind), they will have a rather large jump on any future competitors - especially considering the initial investment most players will make.

Even if several years down the line they decide to upgrade the client, add more features, or even retire Hex 1.0 as long as they support the original Hex players... they'll have a game franchise that will stand the test of time as far as digital TCGs go.

Tinuvas
05-14-2013, 07:18 AM
That is also a fairly large concern of mine, but less so about the servers going down and more that the game goes stagnant because not enough $ is made by Cryptozoic to justify further resources going towards it. That is why I hope they have created a robust revenue structure (for themselves) and an open game (trading, market, and tourneys...for US) so that the game grows, leading to a premier aura around the game, attracting further talent and resources, keeping the game moving and fresh, etc. etc. That's the best that we can hope for I think.

The biggest reason that I am willing to plunk down my hard earned cash is that from what I can see, the crew at Cryptozoic get it. While I could be wrong, they seem to have their heads on straight enough to see what needs to happen to make this an enduring, lasting game. This doesn't seem like a venture just for the sake of the Cryptozoic employees making something incredible (though that is a large part of it I'm sure).

Finally, there is no way any of us can truly see what will happen 5-10 years from now...except that I can expect that at least one of my daughters will be married, hopefully to someone I can put up with :p. If this game is the home that I have been looking for in a game, one that is dynamic and changing, one that remains fresh and fun and new through the years, I will be ecstatic. If not, it will be sad, but that is the nature of our capitalistic society. I guarantee that any Cryptozoic employee worth his salt will agree that they will do all that they can to make your fears groundless. Let's do our part and spread the word about this amazing new genre of game, one that promises such potential as I haven't seen in a game in awhile. Good luck with your investment, and may you always have the resources to play your infinite combos!

Fireblast
05-14-2013, 07:20 AM
@cross09 : You'll most likely quit before the game dies

˜

houjix
05-14-2013, 07:24 AM
It last as long as it lasts. Sure a physical game allows you to play it long after it is "dead", but at least I won't have to look at the leftovers of that game with deep longing every time I open my closet until a few years later when I get fed up and throw it all out. Very few physical TCGs ever make it past that couple of year later mark for me when they go away. I loved Star Wars CCG to death, but it all went bye-bye. LotR, Wars, Magic(not dead, but I quit), all gone. My WoW will probably be that way too if I can't get it sold in the next 6 months or so. I still have some Deadlands decks that aren't going anyway but that's because they only occupy 1 long box and they are just so stinking cool.

If we get 5+ years out of Hex, I'll be content with my investment and probably won't shed more than a couple tears on the money I've spent when it goes away. There's plenty of activities in my life where I've spent money with no tangible assets to speak of.

JMFD
05-14-2013, 07:25 AM
With any game whether it be physical, digital, etc. there is always a lifespan associated with it. The fear of a digital card game shutting down and you losing your investment is and should be a very real thing.

In this case I see digital card games being the next "in" thing, with HEX being the first of its kind. I think that alone will secure a strong playerbase in the beginning, and even if something better comes along the amount of money people have sunk here will keep them playing, and therefor keep the economy going. While I don't see HEX being around forever, I don't see it going anywhere for several several years.

Kami
05-14-2013, 07:29 AM
At the very least, if it were to happen, I'm hoping they can at least convert the online game into a peer-to-peer system and have the PvE portion akin to the old offline Magic Planeswalker game.

Fleckenwhatever
05-14-2013, 07:34 AM
6 days old and we're getting this thread? Ho boy.

Vengus
05-14-2013, 07:35 AM
I am not too worried looking at the amount of money that is being pledged. The only thing Cryptozoic needs to keep an eye on is that tournaments stay accessible for most players, because while they are cheap, those few dollars per tourney can quickly add up. Most players will probably only do a few tourneys a week at most, and with the amount of available tournaments the players might get spread out too much resulting in large queues.

Overal even if the game only lasts a year I'll have my investment back, but I expect the game to last a lot longer than that unless they really really screw up.

houjix
05-14-2013, 07:41 AM
I am not too worried looking at the amount of money that is being pledged. The only thing Cryptozoic needs to keep an eye on is that tournaments stay accessible for most players, because while they are cheap, those few dollars per tourney can quickly add up. Most players will probably only do a few tourneys a week at most, and with the amount of available tournaments the players might get spread out too much resulting in large queues.

Overal even if the game only lasts a year I'll have my investment back, but I expect the game to last a lot longer than that unless they really really screw up.

As with anything, spend responsibly. The 24-7 access will making it easy for someone to go over board, but that's the beauty of the PVE part of the game. You can still be playing while not spending money.

rodan
05-14-2013, 07:45 AM
If the game shuts down some day I won't look at the money I spent as a lost investment, but rather as the price I paid for the entertainment and fun I had playing the game.

Rapkannibale
05-14-2013, 07:52 AM
If they add cash prizes for big tournaments this game will live a long an prosperous life. As soon as players see the opportunity of getting some money out of their investment, they will stick with it for a long time. Of course the game needs to be fun as well, but I trust the guys at CZE that it will be fun. :)

JMFD
05-14-2013, 08:07 AM

Now thats funny!

WWKnight
05-14-2013, 08:11 AM
ANY f2p game or web-based game has this problem. This includes WoW, Diablo 3, SimCity, all the facebook games people play. This isnt a new concept at all. I think it was just tycho's time of the month.

Devaux
05-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Did nobody read Tycho's write up? The text of the comic is not representative of how he feels about the topic.

EDIT: http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/05/13/realness

swigmonkey
05-14-2013, 08:22 AM
I do not understand why people would be concerned about this. Take Vs System for example, I have a ton of cards lying around why? No one is bothered to play it. I snatched up boxes up G.I.Joe from Wizards for 10 a pop on ebay because the wife enjoyed it and invested roughly $100.00 into it so it was a solid amount if you view it as a deckbuilder game. I bought boxes of Hecatomb for $15 a pop to complete my sets and make about 8 different decks because I personally LOVE the game, but no one else enjoys it greatly that I play with regularly.

So in short if you've played one of the dead card games, you know that MTG is the only staple game around or will be around, and look how long it took for a great casual format to be figured out that many enjoy (Commander)

cross09
05-14-2013, 08:53 AM
If they add cash prizes for big tournaments this game will live a long an prosperous life. As soon as players see the opportunity of getting some money out of their investment, they will stick with it for a long time. Of course the game needs to be fun as well, but I trust the guys at CZE that it will be fun. :)

I think Rapkannible gets it right here.

syphonhail
05-14-2013, 09:02 AM

Bane posting on a thread about not letting something die seems apt.

Blare731
05-14-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm really surprised this is on your minds. I don't know what is going to happen obviously but MTG has been around for a long time and I don't see that going anywhere. With the features this has, the free to play PvE side, I don't see any reason for it to be dying prematurely, or even in the close future of 5 to 10 years.

cronedog
05-14-2013, 10:01 AM
It last as long as it lasts. Sure a physical game allows you to play it long after it is "dead", but at least I won't have to look at the leftovers of that game with deep longing every time I open my closet until a few years later when I get fed up and throw it all out. Very few physical TCGs ever make it past that couple of year later mark for me when they go away. I loved Star Wars CCG to death, but it all went bye-bye. LotR, Wars, Magic(not dead, but I quit), all gone. My WoW will probably be that way too if I can't get it sold in the next 6 months or so. I still have some Deadlands decks that aren't going anyway but that's because they only occupy 1 long box and they are just so stinking cool.

If we get 5+ years out of Hex, I'll be content with my investment and probably won't shed more than a couple tears on the money I've spent when it goes away. There's plenty of activities in my life where I've spent money with no tangible assets to speak of.

I agree. I played a ton of lord of the rings tcg online, and some of my buddies gave me hell for wasting money on "fake cards". But the paper that the real game is printed on wasn't worth anything. The playerbase makes the game. I bought a starter deck and only ever spent extra money to do tournaments winning a collection as I went. My paper version of the game sits on a shelf at my parents house, getting as much use as the digital ones. Mind you Sony online supported LOTR long after the game started getting bad and the playerbase started dwindling. If I can pump 200-300 bucks into Hex and have 3 or 4 years years of gameplay, I'll not feel like it was money wated.