PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics you'll miss from Physical TCG

Fireblast
05-14-2013, 07:24 AM
After 2 minutes of thinking :
- I'll miss bouncing tokens
- I'll miss exhausting/readying resources (and infinite mana combos)
- I'll miss counters' movement

˜

Kami
05-14-2013, 07:26 AM
I'll miss card throwing and physically shuffling like a card-shark.

Daer
05-14-2013, 07:34 AM
Nothing.

houjix
05-14-2013, 07:34 AM
I'll miss

- turning things sideways
- the tedious tracking of damage and counters on my creatures
- tracking life totals and the arguments that arise when there is a discrepancy
- people that don't know the rules or try the "a judge told me this is how it works" stuff
- The smell of the local game room when the Yu-gi-oh kids are there

For real (not mechanics but)
-meeting up with my friends and end up playing a board game instead of cards
-the looks on opponents faces when you reveal the "I win" card
-the smell of freshly opened packs
-opening packs and slowly sliding cards to see if it is a foil or epic card
-road trips

Xenavire
05-14-2013, 07:42 AM
I gotta say, I was one of those yugioh kids once upon a time - but the people who played the most were fat smelly adults.

Magic was a much cleaner and less mouth-breathy crowd, and I gravitated towards them after a few years.

Seems like Hex is going to be even better in that respect - never again do I have to watch some fatass eating a hamburger and having crud on his shirt and the paranioa about him touching my cards, or the gross smell of his armpits as he leans forward... Ick.

Glad there were very few like that.

Storm_Fireblade
05-14-2013, 07:46 AM
I will miss absolutely nothing. I know that sounds like some nerd living in his cellar (I do socialize a lot in RL, so don't worry :D), but honestly, I always found the mechanics of a TCG in real life very annoying. I love how Hex is going to explore all the options a digital tcg provides and even more I'm thrilled how intuitive and relaxed I can play this game, not having to remember tapping, untapping, counters and what not.

Rapkannibale
05-14-2013, 07:49 AM
I also will miss nothing. The hard truth is that I don't have the time anymore to go out to the local store to play TCGs with other people or participate in tournaments. When I get time to play it is usually after the kids have gone to bed, so digital TCGs, that allow me to play at any time are the way to go for me. Plus my wife will be happy that I don't fill up our bookshelves with boxes of cards anymore. :)

WWKnight
05-14-2013, 07:52 AM
I WONT miss that annoying thing people do when they riffle the cards in their hand while thinking.

I may miss the satisfaction I get from imagining slapping them...

Xenavire
05-14-2013, 07:56 AM
You mean where they move the cards in their hand from the front to the back very quickly, with a big FLICK noise every time, so it sounds like an old man in slippers running down a hallway? I hated that, but did it sometimes myself when really impatient

Tinuvas
05-14-2013, 07:56 AM
I'll miss

-road trips

Wow. Yeah, me too.

Fireblast
05-14-2013, 07:57 AM
The goal is to keep your body busy while you think and to piss off your opponent, apparently it works

Shuffling your hand also helps at not giving infos on what you drew, been stacking, etc...

˜

Xenavire
05-14-2013, 07:59 AM
I gotta say the biggest loss is the smell of a fresh booster - but my G/F collects pokemon cards, so I get that fix now and then.

houjix
05-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Sad part is, I've caught myself doing it when playing anything that has a hand of cards. Board games, cribbage, Uno, you name it. As long as I have two cards, they're going to get shuffled.

clorox
05-14-2013, 08:43 AM
What I'll miss is entirely dependent on how they visualize the booster pack opening. I miss the pop of the foil and the smell and the reveal of the cards as I flip through them.

Hopefully I won't miss it after all...

Storm_Fireblade
05-14-2013, 08:53 AM
As far as I remember there will be two "opening options". One where everything simply "pops up" and one for those prefering the "one by one look carefully at each card"-way :)

Erebus
05-14-2013, 09:29 AM
As far as I remember there will be two "opening options". One where everything simply "pops up" and one for those prefering the "one by one look carefully at each card"-way :)

Every time I see this I remember my brother buying a game off steam called Surgeon Simulator 2013, and he played it over skype. You used the keyboard to control your hand in-game, and then you went off to cut people open. The tutorial was answering the phone, but the first mission was heart surgery. It was hilarious as I watched him basically murder his patient over and over again.

I imagine something similar in this game and laugh at the thought of us bending, folding, spindling, or just generally mutilating our cards as we desperate try to get our packs open. :D

BKCshah
05-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Cheating - oh well, guess I'll have to learn to play honestly.

Tinuvas
05-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Every time I see this I remember my brother buying a game off steam called Surgeon Simulator 2013, and he played it over skype. You used the keyboard to control your hand in-game, and then you went off to cut people open. The tutorial was answering the phone, but the first mission was heart surgery. It was hilarious as I watched him basically murder his patient over and over again.

I imagine something similar in this game and laugh at the thought of us bending, folding, spindling, or just generally mutilating our cards as we desperate try to get our packs open. :D

ROFL. I wonder if we can use our 'mangled' cards as long as we sleeve them up proper lol.

Bernado
05-14-2013, 10:35 AM
I WONT miss that annoying thing people do when they riffle the cards in their hand while thinking.

I may miss the satisfaction I get from imagining slapping them...

... or scratching the cards on the table. I suppose they thought they were WoW loot cards.

And I won't miss the players that need several minutes to decide that they won't play any card on their turn.

Creepshow
05-14-2013, 10:46 AM
The most important thing I will miss is the ability to flip the table when im losing

Vengus
05-14-2013, 10:48 AM
You can always flip your computer. :P

Xenavire
05-14-2013, 10:54 AM
The most important thing I will miss is the ability to flip the table when im losing
I got an item for that in WoW - if I get pissed in Hex I will just log in WoW and go crazy.

Still, it does raise a good point, people losing can sometimes be the most fun part of the game...

SingerOfW
05-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Clicking the "Pass priority" button a thousand times a match and then clicking it on accident when I have a response. Oh, wait.

On a more serious note, online TCGs tend to have less social interaction between the opponents, since you don't have to tell them anything: the system does everything for you. But it's not like I'm quitting Magic, so this is not something I'll "miss": just an unavoidable trait of MMOs.

Tyrfang
05-14-2013, 11:00 AM
I think the guilds and organized PvE will probably change how people act in PvP as well.

Honestly, I never found in-person competitive games very social, although the act of going to an event with a bunch of friends or just playing at home was fun. It'll probably be similar comparing PvP and PvE.

freudinio
05-14-2013, 11:12 AM
I will miss playing shouting out my boomer damage, leroy jenkins etc... I will most likely do it anyway!

Fireblast
05-14-2013, 11:16 AM
I will miss playing shouting out my boomer damage, leroy jenkins etc... I will most likely do it anyway!

Had some fun playing "Headless Helm" (dont know real name) at last DMF Antwerp :D

~

freudinio
05-14-2013, 11:27 AM
MWUHAHAHAHAHA! :p

droth25
05-14-2013, 11:52 AM
I'll just have to settle typing, "Taste my pain, bitch," instead of saying it.

Erebus
05-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Maybe they'll have in game voice chat so that you can continue verbally taunt and abuse your opponents.

MugenMusou
05-14-2013, 12:04 PM
1. Satisfaction of having actual physical collection.
2. Hand move to tap land etc.
- I wonder if they could make optional so that with touch screen you can actual do tap like maneuver like two finger rotation etc.

Fireblast
05-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Maybe they'll have in game voice chat so that you can continue verbally taunt and abuse your opponents.

As long as you can turn it off, I'd use skype with the people I know

~

Barov
05-14-2013, 12:49 PM
I'll miss

Umm.......Have a seat....

Showsni
05-14-2013, 02:06 PM
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/ug/72.jpg

Turtlewing
05-14-2013, 02:11 PM
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/ug/72.jpg

They could code that into HEX (card destroys itself permanently, and a random number of pixels are selected at random and any card who's displayed images contains one of those pixels is destroyed.

Tyrfang
05-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Hah, Chaos confetti was what I first thought of as well. (also, Blacker Lotus.)

boredinbc
05-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Edit. Someone beat me to it!:p

Fireblast
05-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Watching How to Play again I noticed resources don't go to the graveyard so I thought about resources a bit more and I'll miss :
- Fetch Lands
- High Tide effects
- Candelabra effects
- Crucible of worlds effects

~

cuscus
05-15-2013, 03:04 PM
The only thing I'll miss is life counters.

I didn't want a countdown d20 to get mixed in with my "real" dice. It seemed silly to use a pair of d10 when you typically only used 2 numbers on 1 of them and just barely at that. So I grabbed 2d6 (3 if playing white) and counted my life in base-6

Fireblast
05-15-2013, 03:28 PM

I didn't want a countdown d20 to get mixed in with my "real" dice. It seemed silly to use a pair of d10 when you typically only used 2 numbers on 1 of them and just barely at that. So I grabbed 2d6 (3 if playing white) and counted my life in base-6

So much for making sure your opponent and yourself agree on life totals :)

~

Jinuyr
05-15-2013, 03:32 PM
I'll miss

- turning things sideways
- the tedious tracking of damage and counters on my creatures
- tracking life totals and the arguments that arise when there is a discrepancy
- people that don't know the rules or try the "a judge told me this is how it works" stuff

-road trips

I will definitely miss the human element to it. Unfortunately, now that I live in Hawaii, the only thing I can hope for is a game like Hex.

jai151
05-15-2013, 03:50 PM
I'll miss the random, crazy variants my friends and I have played over the years.

Speaking of, PLEASE code in pack wars!! Bar none the BEST way to open boosters with friends. For those unfamiliar, this is a magic variant where each person opens their booster without looking at the cards, removes the promos, and shuffles in three of each basic land (resource). Then you play.

So incredibly fun and so incredibly random. And even if it gets coded in, I'll miss the look on my friends' faces when they draw the rare =)

Ebynfel
05-15-2013, 04:46 PM
I think the thing I will miss the most is playing with my hand squared up neatly stacked face down on the table. it always gets on people's nerves when they don't ask how many cards I have in hand, and make a move that my large hand has an answer for. Or they make me discard or something. I have seen so many misplays simply because someone didn't ask for a hand size.

mauvebutterfly
05-15-2013, 04:53 PM

Did you count '6' as a zero or did you add one to the value on each die?

20 in base 6 is 32, but how would you represent 18 (30) on 2 six-sided dice? I'm just asking because I'm curious as to how much more confusing you made it for your opponent. If confusion was your goal, I'd go with 1-6 actually being 0-5, making 20 be 43, 19 be 42, 18 be 41, and 17 be 36 down to 0 at 11.

Maligance
05-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Not going to lie I enjoy going to tournaments for Magic at my local store. I've met a lot of good friends there since I started going, and hopefully I can convince some of them to come play this with me sometimes. The convenient thing for me is this is a game I can play any night of the week that will be much cheaper to invest in than Magic Online, while also being a lot cooler in the number of things you can do.

Plus it'll be loads easier to play while trying to get the baby to go to sleep than League of Legends. I imagine I'll be able to get up and check on my daughter if need be, rather than nonstop clicking for 30-45 minutes.

Vibraxus
05-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Ill miss the idle chitchat with some randome person (and using that as a weapon to distract them).

Ill miss when a jackass rules lawyer does something wrong and I can be all "Nope you took your finger off the card" or whatever and watch him act all butthurt or try to ask for a "oh its just once,let me get away with it" coupled with the reply of "This is a tournament, sorry gotta play by the rules" . Ill only lawyer a lawyer BTW.

Ill miss the look on their face when I get a god draw that turns around a certain death to a victory

Ill miss the smell of napalm in the morning....

WalkTheAgony
05-15-2013, 07:35 PM
-I'll miss shuffling my hand
-IRL competition and overall social that you get when you go on local and bigger tourney like Regional and National.
-Opening Packs
-Waste hours sorting my binders and look up my collection
-Look of people/Emotion of the moment in stressful battle (When Times get called for example, I had someone who completly started shaking and sweating in top 4 of a National and it was hilarious)
-The draw of destiny feel, when you look your deck and you are like I need this card otherwise I am done and you draw the card and flip table!
-New Set Draft/Sneek Peak tournament
-Trophy and Playing Mat from winning/topping tournament

but on the other hand I get a lot of things, there is a reason why I end up my tcg career..

-TIME! Now with Hex I'll be able at any time to queue in for a game or two or even go into bigger event without having to go on a road trip across the board... even if road trip are great I never really had time to go at every bigger tournament and to be able have a chance to hit bigger event with ease is really a huge plus.

-MONEY! I invested more than 2000$ in Yu-Gi-Oh and every set for about 4-5 years I had to buy a set of certain few powerful card that I had to include in my deck to keep up with other player of my level. Now with the Pro Player Pledge I feel like I will be ok by only spending 250$ and with the free draft I'll be able to snipe the remaining cards that I need.

funktion
05-15-2013, 07:36 PM
-Verbal Shortcuts
-Being able to lay all my cards out on the floor

Tyrfang
05-15-2013, 11:11 PM
(╯□)╯︵ sʇuǝʇuoɔ sʇı puɐ ǝןqɐʇ sıɥʇ ʞɔnɟ

Never again.

Aisriyth
05-16-2013, 12:06 AM
They should totally add a virtual table flip as a concede option.

Miss
-Smell of clean booster.

Things I won't.
- dealing with people who insist on bridge shuffling my deck. Enrages me.

cuscus
05-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Did you count '6' as a zero or did you add one to the value on each die?

20 in base 6 is 32, but how would you represent 18 (30) on 2 six-sided dice? I'm just asking because I'm curious as to how much more confusing you made it for your opponent. If confusion was your goal, I'd go with 1-6 actually being 0-5, making 20 be 43, 19 be 42, 18 be 41, and 17 be 36… down to 0 at 11.

Like all bases the 6 in base 6 would be a zero. To make it easier I used d6's with dots rather than numbers as the two rows of 3 do look somewhat like a (numeric) zero. So yes, I'd start a game with the dice showing 32. Confusion was not my goal - just an objection to wasting so many sides of the "10's" d10.

Most opponents caught on to base-6 counting pretty quickly and I was always happy to answer "what's your life anyway" questions. Also I wasn't in the tourney scene at the time so casual play only. There is so much going on in a tourney that I wouldn't do something like this and would probably write my life total on a paper.

CoolGrayAJ
05-16-2013, 03:32 PM
I'll miss this.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1437hn5g31qf47sno1_500.gif

Deciphered
05-16-2013, 03:38 PM
I get my Fresh Pack Smell buying board games nowadays, but road trips, yeah...

Used to do Origins and GenCon with a carload of friends every year, back when I was a serious card gamer. Miss that. :(