PDA

View Full Version : Spectator Mode?

Deadpool319
05-14-2013, 08:30 AM
I have a question I haven't seen asked or answered (though that doesn't mean I didn't just miss it): Are there currently plans for a spectator mode? Those familiar with MTGO will know where I'm coming from. Sometimes, if I can't commit the time for a full match, or sometimes just for fun I like to watch matches being played in spectator mode. I get to see interesting new decks battling it out, and witness interesting card interactions. Also, if I'm a GM and want to host an inter-guild tournament for some packs or something, I would like to be able to spectate the games for fun.

Thanks for your time,

~Deadpool

Priest
05-14-2013, 08:49 AM
They said that spectating is already in the works

Kami
05-14-2013, 08:53 AM
It's unclear how far they'll develop this.

I'm hoping live-streaming with blinders, ghost decks (i.e. playing against play-styles/decks of other players used), live in-game spectator view, and a 'channel' system are implemented.

Deadpool319
05-14-2013, 08:54 AM
They said that spectating is already in the works

Thanks for this, I figured I'd just missed it somewhere.

Deadpool319
05-14-2013, 08:55 AM
It's unclear how far they'll develop this.

I'm hoping live-streaming with blinders, ghost decks (i.e. playing against play-styles/decks of other players used), live in-game spectator view, and a 'channel' system are implemented.

Those are great ideas. I'd be very pleased to see those as well.

Fireblast
05-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Not sure about "live" tho, but replays being available as soon as the game is finished is good

~

yourlocalsavior
06-03-2013, 10:57 PM
They could always do "live" with a 2 round delay or something. I think spectating is very important. Seeing how others play and watching their decks in action is always fun. They should recruit some good casters, too. It'd be fun to hear tourney commentators.

Gwaer
06-03-2013, 11:01 PM
The issue others have brought up is that sometimes people will draw a super secret bomb of doom that they are much more likely to win if it's kept quiet, or something. So even a 2 round delay wouldn't be anywhere near long enough. That's the idea anyway, not sure that I buy it. I suppose it could just be entirely delayed, you can only watch them after the whole shebang is over.

grey0one
06-03-2013, 11:06 PM
From the Angry Joe video, Corey talks about ESports and how he wants to really support that. The impression I got from it was they were willing to do post-game playbacks, no issues. They were more nebulous on live streams. I think that will equate to playbacks for all games, but limited live streams for tourneys (so players can't look at each other's hand while playing).

Gwaer
06-03-2013, 11:08 PM
I suppose tournament streams could just have a 1 game delay, and have the actual games start earlier than the "tournament start time" as far as streamers are concerned. Have your commentators and such in the dark as well, etc.

KingBlackstone
06-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Spectator mode: confirmed for Brawl.

Gen91
06-04-2013, 02:07 AM
I think a 2 round or 3 minute delay is ok.
Additionally, if you can see the hand of a player, cards he didn't use till the live gameplay should be blackened.

Fireblast
06-04-2013, 02:09 AM
Round delay is bad when people are trying to storm the tournament with an unknown deck.
They'd get spoiled.

~

yourlocalsavior
06-05-2013, 08:51 PM
So I guess the only way to stream a game at the same time as its being played is to just display the playing field and face-down cards to indicate hand sizes. It would be neat if, as a spectator, I could flip through the cards in the graveyard and things like that. Maybe have a list handy of someone's deck that I could browse through as they're playing.

LordRaven
06-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Since this is digital a true "spectator mode" would be simple... just program it so you get to watch the match as it happens with no access to view anything both players don't already know (i.e. hands, decks). The ability to review decks after the match/tourney is done would be nice, but the potential for cheating would be incredibly high and hard to control during play (friends passing info via Ventrilo on what was sideboarded in or remaining in the deck)

Alzorath
06-15-2013, 10:39 AM
I know this is digging up an old thread... but as a hobby commentator - I would like to throw in what I would like to see (and what I would hate to see) as a commentator, via a wishlist:

Wishlist:

- Live Spectator Mode (All Match Types & Tournaments)

Hands Face-down.
Ability to interact with 'revealed cards' (look at graveyard, look at board positions, see voided cards)
Turn Log ( Card Cast & Target listed as text, able to highlight card name to make card visible in top right) - this would replace the Action Bar on the right for spectators. (bottom 2/3 would be 'turn log', top 1/3 would be card visual)
Card Zoom (Ability to click a card and either pull it up to the "card highlight" slot, or make it larger in the center of the screen)
Card Library (Ability to search for a card from Hex's card library, and display it in the "card highlight" slot)
Minimal Delay (There is no need to 'delay' footage if hands are hidden, as caster is speculating)
"Screen Draw" toggle, marks only visible to person drawing it ( 4 color choices minimum: White, Blue, Green, and Red - and of course an "eraser" and an "erase all" function)
"Silent Spectators" - Spectators cannot comment in text-chat in-game. (While I would love to chat with players in a game - other people watching and chatting can ruin casting and frustrate a game) - at the very least have a chat-tab system, where there's "game chat" (players only), "spectator chat" (spectators only), etc.
:: Tournament Mode Only: Match Score listing (for example if they're 1-0, display next to the player's name would be awesome, showing how many wins/losses they have in that pairing)

- Replay Mode (All Match Types)

Hands Face-Down.
Interaction with 'revealed cards'
Turn Log
Card Zoom
Screen Draw Toggle
"Action Mode" / "Real-Time Mode" - Action Mode is sped up gameplay, without pauses. Real-Time Mode is replayed at pace with original game (even 'pause for thought' moments)
Play/Fast Forward/Rewind/Pause functionality.

- Replay Mode (Tournaments)

Post-Tournament "Hands Face-Up" (optional), During Tournament "Hands Face-Down" (Able to be toggled on/off by tournament organizer at creation - hands only "face up" after tournament has ended)
Deck Lists (optional) - Tournament Organizer Option at creation, whether to make deck lists available for viewing post-tournament. This would be great for post-tournament analysis videos (kind of a post-game show covering the strategy, not just the games proper)
Tournament Game List (Visible via a Bracket System is ideal - Click on bracket, see game list, in chronological order)
Interaction with 'revealed cards'
Turn Log
Card Zoom
Screen Draw Toggle
"Action Mode" / "Real-Time Mode" - Action Mode is sped up gameplay, without pauses. Real-Time Mode is replayed at pace with original game (even 'pause for thought' moments)
Play/FF/Rewind/Pause functionality.

Just the thoughts off the top of my head... I could probably include more later, but yea... really interested in commentating matches of Hex.

ossuary
06-15-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm pretty sure the big TV in Muzu's NACC coverage youtube video was showing Hex in some form of spectator mode... the big TV had the playfield, but neither player's hand was visible. And CZE has said before that they want to make Hex an eSports thing... so it's pretty obvious there is going to be SOME kind of spectator mode, at some point (even if it's not quite ready for initial beta or launch - gotta shine it up real nice first!).

It still remains to be seen exactly what the spectator mode would entail. It would be great if it had built in support to allow the spectator to sift through the graveyards and stuff like that, so they can review plays that have been completed and get a better idea for how the game stands at any given time.

ossuary
06-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Alzorath, all very detailed and good ideas. +1 to that. :)

Royal_Assassin17
06-15-2013, 11:38 AM
if they are adding a spectator mode, its best to only show the cards that are in play and not the cards in hand to make sure cheating doesn't happen... where the spectator can help out someone by seeing the opponents hand

ossuary
06-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Yes, that has been said many times and is very obvious.

Alzorath
06-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Kinda tempted to repost my 'wishlist' as its own thread... so it's not buried off on the 2nd page of this thread and get shuffled off :)

Thanks for the +1 Ossuary :)

(and yes, not showing hands in a live match is a 'duh' situation - the only exception would be in very specific tournament situations - and even then, we likely won't see those in Hex often, if at all - as it would need to be something like a live event where the players are physically there)