PDA

View Full Version : Advertising the Kickstarter to maintain Momentum

syphonhail
05-14-2013, 10:31 AM
The high volume of pledges during the initial few days are fantastic and I hope they continue, but I suspect part of the initial campaign was driven by the Forbes article and the Penny Arcade blog post. As someone who backed the campaign and a desire to see this game succeed (my collection only has value as long as the community is alive), where else can we or cryptozoic spread the word to boost sales? English speaking news sites have not had anything new since May 10th (link). (https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&q=cryptozoic+hex&oq=cryptozoic+hex&gs_l=news-cc.3..43j43i53.816.4513.0.4632.14.5.0.9.9.0.202.54 8.3j1j1.5.0...0.0...1ac.1.qfEoqZnULzo) The glut of the blog posts about this occurred at launch as well (link). (https://www.google.com/search?tbm=blg&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1440&bih=695&q=hex+cryptozoic&gbv=2&oq=hex+cryptozoic&gs_l=blog-hp.3..0i8.1516.4811.0.4955.16.15.1.0.0.0.160.1526. 9j6.15.0...0.0...1ac.1.12.blog-hp.W0c4t-hmlrg) This is to be expected given that the launch was news five days ago, but today it is not.

So, how does Cryptozoic (or those of us who want to promote the game) maintain buzz and draw new potential subscribers in?

houjix
05-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Share the facebook posts everyday. Tweet about it. Talk to people IRL about it. I know I texted my regular game group plus some others as we missed our normal date last week. Some people will eventually get interested enough to click on the link to check it out.

Hell, I may have missed the initial annoucement if I wasn't playing the DC deckbuilding game and just happened to come back to the forums to check something. I rarely post on the WoW forums anymore so Crypto's other products kept my line to them open.

Rieper
05-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Youtube gameplay with guys like totalbiscuit(Only one i could remeber that might like it) would be a very good start. This could spread it a bit more, give people that all important gameplay that could help sell the game even better.

Digital_Aether
05-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Having been a backer for Camelot Unchained, I'd like to say make sure you don't go crazy yelling at news, youtubers, etc. CU got some real negative press over the intensity by which the backers had gone after media groups. I'm sure CZE has good people looking after those major avenues. I would think the best way for people to contribute would be talking to people they know, friends and family who'd be interested, posting on forums you're a part of, or talking about it on any social media you're a part of. If you're a regular in a gamer group or go to card shops a lot, mention it to folks you think would like it.

Formal coverage is a big deal, but I think they're better able to handle that. As a big improvement over most other game kickstarters, they have what seems to be a fully playable PvP mode. They can get youtubers and livestream folks to play the game along with them, show off what makes it unique, and that will be able to bring in a lot of traffic for both their channels and the kickstarter. People like Angry Joe or Totalbiscuit are best approached with an opportunity to make a video, unfortunately so many fans talk about kickstarters to them that they filter out the noise. They just recently posted a group match of Guns of Icarus, which is kickstarting it's expansion right now. They played the game with the devs and got content for their channel. Good for everyone involved that way. I'm sure they've both heard of it by now, as they usually keep up on kickstarters.

Edit: If you had a TGS (the gamer station) draft tournament, that would be sweet. Get 8 of them (TB, Angry Joe, Dodger, Jesse Cox, Wowcrendor, etc. whoever wants to join) and let them record and show the tournament. They tend to do a lot of games together, and that would be interesting to watch.

Rieper
05-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Edit: If you had a TGS (the gamer station) draft tournament, that would be sweet. Get 8 of them (TB, Angry Joe, Dodger, Jesse Cox, Wowcrendor, etc. whoever wants to join) and let them record and show the tournament.

I would actually almost pay to see TB vs Jesse! :P

Digital_Aether
05-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Those two are hilarious when they compete. The Guns of Icarus video was awesome, and in tournament format they could do a video series for each match or something. It's a decent amount of content without a lot of time invested on their part, and a great showing of fun stuff in this MMOTCG.

Glothr
05-14-2013, 12:27 PM
I too would love to see TGS do a HEX tournament like the Blood Bowl or Guns of Icarus videos. Getting them to play HEX would get it huge amounts of exposure and they do really good content. I don't know how much it would cost CZE though.

Showsni
05-14-2013, 12:41 PM
The problem is giving away too many details - you don't want to spoil the entire card set this far before release, and giving 8 people the chance to draft and upload their videos could reveal a large chunk of the set. So far the articles we've had from people who've been invited to draft have avoided spoiling anything but two or three cards from their picks.

Fireblast
05-14-2013, 12:45 PM
How is spoiling cards too fast any bad when the game doesn't already exist?
Except if they're afraid their cards are bad!

~

Digital_Aether
05-14-2013, 12:47 PM
True. They could give them pre-mades with smaller than normal decks to pick from or something, but it would still reveal a bunch of cards. It very well could be worth it though for the amount of press it would generate. It would make me eagerly watch the videos to figure out what all the cards they had were, which would be a definite boon for the youtubers.

Tyrfang
05-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Doesn't matter much, there's still all the PvE cards and equipment.
Maybe they just want to finalize all the art so it looks polished.

Rapkannibale
05-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Force on YouTube also loves TCGs and has a lot of subscribers. He recently did a video for Infinity Wars with one of the developers. I think it would be really smart of CZE to get some YouTube personalities on board early. Of course the game needs to be robust enough that they can show some good stuff.

cross09
05-14-2013, 02:20 PM
New post on Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/article/hex-shards-of-fate-surpasses-kickstarter-goal-without-slowing-down