PDA

View Full Version : Beta and drafting

Creepshow
05-14-2013, 11:48 AM
I remember reading somewhere that durring the beta, all PvP options will be available. Does this mean that we will be able to participate in drafting and other tournaments, or are these things going to be hashed out as we get closer to the release date? If so I wonder if they will allready have the schedule somewhat in place like, for instance, the tournament every four hours on the hour.

Erebus
05-14-2013, 11:54 AM
MTG does a system that as soon as 8 people sign up for a draft, that draft starts.

They only have scheduled tourney for sealed deck events and the like.

I'd prefer sit n go approach to scheduled tournaments. That means I can log on at any time, play a tourney and get off when it's done.

Devaux
05-14-2013, 01:17 PM
MTG does a system that as soon as 8 people sign up for a draft, that draft starts.

They only have scheduled tourney for sealed deck events and the like.

I'd prefer sit n go approach to scheduled tournaments. That means I can log on at any time, play a tourney and get off when it's done.

Well they'll have both so yey.

Tyrfang
05-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Depends on whether or not there's enough players to support all the tournament modes, but...

What I'd like is possible is the ability to play a draft or sealed deck tournament (or similar limited format) without giving up packs.

Obviously not possible with real cards...but this format should still have an entrance fee.

Payout could be something along these lines:
Winners keep their own deck with an option to swap their deck for 3 boosters
Runners up can either keep their deck or swap for 2 boosters.
Losers get some tokens that you can cash in for a booster after a few losses.

WSzaboPeter
05-14-2013, 02:31 PM
„What I'd like is possible is the ability to play a draft or sealed deck tournament (or similar limited format) without giving up packs.”
Very expensive constructed playable cards will be first picked in normal drafts by most players in non-tournament drafts. Obviously that is not the case in WMCQ (when there was a draft involved in WMCQ) or REL PRO drafts. But if it's an ad-hoc 8 man draft, and you open a Planeswalker in booster 3 you will most likely first pick it, even if it's not splashable into your deck. Now that creates diversity in drafts and diversity is good. So I think a no-card draft would ruin the fun. Not to mention, that if you don't buy displays those drafts are the best options to get 4x each standard playable common and uncommon.

Tyrfang
05-14-2013, 02:41 PM
But if it's an ad-hoc 8 man draft, and you open a Planeswalker in booster 3 you will most likely first pick it, even if it's not splashable into your deck. Now that creates diversity in drafts and diversity is good. So I think a no-card draft would ruin the fun.

I'm not sure I understand your viewpoint. In my suggested format, if you win, you can still keep your deck, it's your prize. That wouldn't fully discourage people from drafting a good rare because A) it prevents someone else from building it into their deck and B) you still have an opportunity to win it.