PDA

View Full Version : Subscription Tournament Idea

Beastmaster
05-14-2013, 06:24 PM
An idea to prevent people abusing the subscription system and to recreate the feel of playing TCG's when we were young and trading cards on a budget was serious business... ;)

1 Everyone who wants to enter subscribes to a $4 month subscription and has access to any one of the free non tradable starter decks but can change which one at any time.

2 Only cards gained this way (or traded for*) can be used for this tournament.

3 Cards can only be traded at the market value at the time of trade. (no giving yourself extra cards by 'trading')

4 Money for trading can only come from selling booster cards at market value (no buying extra cards with cash)

Players play each week adding new cards from the boosters and trading until the end of the tournament.(likely the end of the block/year)

Prize - entry into a Major Tournament with a Top Tier deck of choice.

This would be a great way to eliminate any question of pay to win and be an awesome option for parents who didnt want their kids playing a game with a cash shop too.

I realise that restricting purchasing is counter to the business interests of Crypto but I think adding a whole new market (kids who cant play games with cash shops and ppl who hate pay to win) along with the goodwill generated by having this as an option would make it viable.

What do you guys think?

Beastmaster
05-14-2013, 07:47 PM
I forgot to add:

The fact that it doesn't require a robust exploit free Auction House means that it could be implemented early in the Beta especially if it was given as a free 3 month subscription starter on Kickstarter. (No one would be able to buy enough of any one card to 'break' the auction house and still have a competitive deck)

If Cards can only be traded between subscribers, then it will be a self balancing system as the more popular starter decks will be harder to get extra cards for and no 'net decks' will be possible as there wont be enough of any one card for everyone to have the same deck - people will have to be creative themselves in order to win.

I guess im sceptical of how long it will take for Crypto to set up a fully functioning auction house given how many other DTCG's struggle to get one going and maybe this would be a way to get on with the competitive play while waiting for the AH to arrive. - it could even be free until the AH is ready if it ends up being delayed like i suspect..

Kalius
05-14-2013, 07:50 PM
This would be a great way to eliminate any question of pay to win and be an awesome option for parents who didnt want their kids playing a game with a cash shop too.

I realise that restricting purchasing is counter to the business interests of Crypto but I think adding a whole new market (kids who cant play games with cash shops and ppl who hate pay to win) along with the goodwill generated by having this as an option would make it viable.

What do you guys think?

I think you really need to double check what a TCG is. By definition they're "Pay to win" and have a "cash shop"

As for the tournament idea, MtG already came up with something like this. you buy X boosters at the start of the month, and each week you can add 1 booster to the pool, and you can only make a deck with these cards. End of the month, the person with the most wins gets a prize, and the points/decks reset at the start of the next month. It would be nice to see Hex have a game mode like this, but don't limit it to just subs(although I don't see why you wouldn't sub).

Beastmaster
05-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Cool - i didnt realise MtG had something like this.

I realise what a TCG is and quite enjoy playing them - there are people however who would like to be able to play in a way that has a capped price so that everyone is equal and their costs are fixed. If it expands the player base and reassures ppl who are concerned about pay to win, why not let them? - we all know they'll be tempted into real PvP in the end like the rest of us :)

THe problem with a cash shop where kids are involved is not that real money is used, its that there is the potential for the kid to overspend digitally which is not possible using cash at a local games store.

Daer
05-14-2013, 08:14 PM
They could add parental controls that would disable the real money AH on an account.

Kalius
05-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Or the parents could just not leave their card where the kid can get access to it without their OK. Usually it's a checked option on whether to leave your card on account, so a parent can just make it so that they have to enter it every time they want to use it.

Ebynfel
05-14-2013, 08:45 PM
M:tG's Leagues were incredibly fun. Some shops still roll them out every now and again as a way to socially play, and keep tabs or keep the cards themselves in shop between play sessions. Leagues worked online at one point years ago, and was a pretty nice feature. Eventually, it got cut from the rolls so a lot of people never knew this exciting and fun format ever existed. It is highly missed by League players, lends itself well to a sub plan, and can definitely give newer, inexperienced players a look at some limited tournament play without breaking the bank.

IMO, it's a win/win for Hex, and since they already plan to do sealed events it should work well with the added booster per week in a sub form. I'd join one.

For M:tG here's how it worked.

Day 1, you get between 4 and 6 packs(This could vary) and build a 'Sealed deck' You then play with said sealed in either a tournament of free play structure and earn points for wins, which will be tracked for later use. In stores, day 1 ended the week. Online, you had a week to play as many league games as you wanted to. Points were often averaged into a 'rating'

Week 2: Rip open a booster pack and tune or rebuild your deck. Your rating carries over from last week, and you continue to play.
Weeks 3-6(or more) worked the same. At the end, the final tally is pulled, and a top X tourney is created, and the league resolves with said Top X(I've been in 32 person Leagues with a top 8, and 8 player leagues with a top 4, being online we could have a 10,000 person league with a big tourney final if that's how they wish to do it). Prizes are handed out, and cards get taken home. Process begins anew next week(day online).

it's really fun, and for a newcomer a great way to play competitively on a budget. Being online with Hex, the digital space could allow for some very great opportunities with a league setup, and I'd love to see one.

Beastmaster
05-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Awesome, Thanks Ebynfel. Doing it like that without trading would also mean that it could be started well before the auction house comes online - perhaps even in the beta. Would love this as a stretch goal even if it was done using BYO/KS boosters

Ebynfel
05-14-2013, 08:53 PM
I think the boosters could come from wherever. But if we have a sub plan that gives you*ahem* a booster a week for 4 bucks a month....I smell League Reinforcement packs myself :)

Kalius
05-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Some other online card based games have a similar structure for league play. All they would have to do is let you "purchase" a league pack which comes with the 4-6 booster packs and they get labeled as a League set, and you can only use those cards for a league deck. then when the league is over or you decide to drop out, the cards are added to your normal collection and can be traded/sold/whatever.

Ebynfel
05-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Yeah, it could be done. Player support to make it happen may be necessary, though I'd love seeing it

Kalius
05-14-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm sure finding support would not be all that hard.

Beastmaster
05-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Im sure there would be a huge amount of support if they said - you can have a league tournament now or just wait until the AH is ready in 6 months at launch for a constructed tournament. Of course Drafting would be possible before the Auction House is ready too..

mauvebutterfly
05-14-2013, 09:54 PM
I've heard of a similar tournament set-up before with one small addition: after each match, you and your opponent could do a single one-for-one trade if you agreed upon it. This way you still used the cards from your boosters that you didn't put into your deck since you could try to find someone else who wanted one of your cards and was willing to give up a card you wanted for it. I think you might have been limited to playing against each opponent only once each week. Any additional games against that player before the next week were for fun and didn't allow trades or provide points on the leaderboard.