PDA

View Full Version : Stretch goals/IRL swag (IRL swag related, seems like a seperate post)

Vibraxus
05-14-2013, 06:55 PM
I haven't seen any questions, but is there any thought/ideas from the masses of some sort of physical swag? Like a t-shirt (would be some cool advertising for the game), coffee mugs or anything for a kings level or whatnot?

I know the point is to get funding for the game, but the coolness of some swag for KS backers would be awesome, and be advertising when game releases...hell if said swag happens soon enough it could be advertising for it now and garner many more donations.

Just a thought, I know corporations get some serious discounts when ordering branded stuff, and an IRL perk would be cool.

Hibbert
05-14-2013, 07:47 PM
I don't have a problem with the complete lack of physical rewards. I've heard a lot of kickstarters that threw in a few "simple" rewards were floored by how much time and effort they took to package and ship.

TheBlueMagician
05-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Yeah, the fact they're going with all digital rewards is a huge benefit to them. They lose no money trying to fulfill physical promises, and the money "lost" from giving away boosters and whatnot is negligible, at best, assuming you actually consider it money lost.

Although, if there's one physical reward I would want, it would be an actual Spectral Lotus card. I think it'd be a cool collectable, just to have a one-off card of something "rare."

Cailin_Coilleach
05-15-2013, 03:16 AM
I don't have a problem with the complete lack of physical rewards. I've heard a lot of kickstarters that threw in a few "simple" rewards were floored by how much time and effort they took to package and ship.

Case in point: the original "Shadow Era" physical cards pre-order.

It wasn't run on KS.com, but was a Kickstarter-like on their own website. In funding the initial run of the physical cards of their digital CCG, Wulven promised a lot of IRL bonuses: playmat, tokens, card case. These were promised alongside a number of nice digital bonuses.

Unfortunately they never came through on the physicial bonuses due to production issues. They underestimated the challenge of designing and manufacturing all of that stuff. In the end these bonuses were replaced with the promise of a free booster box of the original series, or of the expansion (currently being made).

Thaysula
05-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Although, if there's one physical reward I would want, it would be an actual Spectral Lotus card. I think it'd be a cool collectable, just to have a one-off card of something "rare."

I'd like the Spectral Lotus card sleeves to be real, putting one of my Real World TCG decks into those sleeves would look good.

Vengus
05-15-2013, 03:26 AM
I agree, it's all fun and games until the devs of the companies who did that realise that a lot of backers don't live in America and shipping it to other countries costs more than the item itself.

Xenavire
05-15-2013, 04:07 AM
People could pay their own shipping - they would need to give their address anyway, so it could roll up into one thing.

Digital_Aether
05-15-2013, 04:13 AM
I'd rather they just set up a store for those kinds of things when the game came out rather than rush it for kickstarter. I could totally go for some posters with cards / card art, or something neat like that. Trying to rush into a manufacturing decision just doesn't go well, and honestly as a kickstarter it doesn't contribute much. The money needs to be going for making the game, not the products you're buying. Small margins are fine for a store front, but not on a kickstarter.

Xenavire
05-15-2013, 04:20 AM
I think.the best thing they can do, is IF they open a store, the kickstarters can get things signed as part of their order. Crypto gets more money, and kickatarters get collectibles.

Cailin_Coilleach
05-15-2013, 04:25 AM
I agree, it's all fun and games until the devs of the companies who did that realise that a lot of backers don't live in America and shipping it to other countries costs more than the item itself.

Ah yes, that was the other hitch with the "Shadow Era" pre-order :)

Wulven partnered with Alliance Game Distributors, supposedly one of the biggest parties in the USA. AGD made a big mess of the whole shipping bit.

I can definitely agree with Digital_Aether's suggestion: a webstore for merch. Like Thaysula I wouldn't mind Lotus sleeves for my S-Era cards :)

Rapkannibale
05-15-2013, 04:25 AM
Personally I am also fine with no physical rewards. I have never cared for them, even when buying collector's editions for games and always just pay attention to the digital goods. Physical goods just end up being stores in some drawer or cabinet and left there to collect dust. For me at least.

WWKnight
05-15-2013, 04:40 AM
While im not interested in it personally, I think when it comes to producing and distributing these items, Cryptozoiac may be a little better at it than Shadow Era.

I can see the lure of wanting to sleeve up a deck with unique Hex sleeves.