PDA

View Full Version : Starter Decks

SteelSaxon
05-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Has anyone heard anything about what the Starter Decks will contain exactly? I am curious about the play styles of each deck as it seems that race does not exactly define the play style too much. I'd imagine they are designed to give a flavor of the race, but I would like to know if they are geared towards a specific play style or are more made to be a stepping stone you can use to go any route

JoonYoungK
05-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Cards!

Xenavire
05-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Yeah, they have been pretty vague about it. I wouldn't expect much for a while, I think they are keeping it quiet about sets and decks.

Sajo
05-14-2013, 08:13 PM
I don't think they want to spoil everything just yet, sadly haha

Bahsha
05-14-2013, 08:21 PM
An excerpt from http://hextcg.com/gerryt-enters-entrath/

"Naturally, I was fairly proud of myself for going undefeated in my first draft. After that, it was time to play some Constructed. Blood/Diamond control, Blood/Ruby aggro, mono-Sapphire artifacts, and the aforementioned Wild/Blood shin’hare decks all looked pretty good."

As much as I might like to think these are the starter decks, the heavy weight towards blood type (3 out of the 4 decks) makes this unlikely.

slipperyjoe
05-14-2013, 08:30 PM
If there's an orc one, you can bet your ass i'll be picking it.

Sajo
05-14-2013, 08:44 PM
@Slipperyjoe,

How do you feel about this 'ol gal?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/942103_278977128906519_362263632_n.png
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/942802_278977165573182_1090089614_n.jpg

alpha5099
05-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Based on what we've seen spoiled for the four Set 1 races, we can probably make some reasonable guesses on what, broadly, the starter decks will look like. Most of the races seem to be sticking to only a couple of shards so far.

Orc should be Ruby/Blood. Shin'hare will be Wild/Blood. Dwarf will be Sapphire/Ruby, with a fair number of neutral artifacts. Human seems to be the most diverse, with cards spoiled for all three of the high magic shards. I'm not sure if they'll go for a tricolor deck as one of the starters; one of the shards will definitely be Diamond, as that's what we've seen the most of and the only other race with spoiled Diamond cards are the Coyotle (sidebar: Ozawa is my favorite art in the game so far.) The other shard will probably be Sapphire, to balance the numbers a bit better, otherwise three of the four decks are running Ruby.

Of course, the spoiled cards aren't necessarily from the starter decks, but I do think we're getting a sense of what the magical flavors of the races are, so I expect that's roughly what we'll see.

As for the other races, harder to say. I seem to recall someone from CZE saying that the Elves would be mono-Wild, which fits what we know about them. We've seen Diamond and Sappire Coyotle cards so far. And I think Blood's the only thing we've seen from the Necrotic; their lore has them having Diamonds socketed into their eyes, so that's a likely shard for them as well. And no idea for the Vennen, I don't think we've seen anything for them yet.

Erebus
05-14-2013, 10:08 PM
There will be only 4 starters at release (Orc, Human, Shin'hare, Dwarf).

Socks4615
05-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Vennen could be mono-Blood; they are heavily involved with Blood Magic, so whether they're mono or not, Blood's gotta be in there.

alpha5099
05-14-2013, 10:23 PM

I know, I was just speculating on what the other races could be like, once we get Starter Decks for them in a later set.

Vennen could be mono-Blood; they are heavily involved with Blood Magic, so whether they're mono or not, Blood's gotta be in there.

That's a good point, though Blood already seems a bit crowded, with the Orcs and Shin'hare and (maybe) the Necrotic. Shrug, no idea, hopefully they'll spoil a Vennen card soon.

Socks4615
05-14-2013, 10:31 PM
http://hextcg.com/story/vennen/ - "The vennen are masters of Blood Magic" it says, which is why I assume they're probably going to be mono-Blood the same way the Elves are mono-Wild, especially since those are the two Old/Original forms of magic before the Hex meteor blew in (and because it makes a nice balance: one mono-shard race per faction; maybe that's just me). The Blood page lists Vennen, Orcs, Necrotic and Shin'hare, so I suppose they're okay with it being spread around a bit. They list four races for Sapphire, too (Humans, Coyotle, Dwarves and Necrotic - so more of an even split between the factions than Blood, which is Underworld-heavy), so Blood's not any more crowded than that.

Would like to see some more Vennen cards though. (Hell, always up for seeing more of *any* type of card!)

Barov
05-14-2013, 10:38 PM
I bet the Shin'hare and Orc decks we saw in the How to Play video were the starters. Not that we saw too much of those decks.

Kalius
05-14-2013, 11:11 PM
I bet the Shin'hare and Orc decks we saw in the How to Play video were the starters. Not that we saw too much of those decks.

strong possibility, and I bet all 4 starters are mono-color, since that would be the easiest for new players to learn with.

slipperyjoe
05-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Necrotic looks like it'll be Blood and Diamond.

Heh, blood diamonds.

@Slipperyjoe,

How do you feel about this 'ol gal?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/942103_278977128906519_362263632_n.png
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/942802_278977165573182_1090089614_n.jpg

With any luck she'll be in the starter deck. She seems like a nice young lady.

alpha5099
05-14-2013, 11:29 PM
http://hextcg.com/story/vennen/ - "The vennen are masters of Blood Magic" it says, which is why I assume they're probably going to be mono-Blood the same way the Elves are mono-Wild, especially since those are the two Old/Original forms of magic before the Hex meteor blew in (and because it makes a nice balance: one mono-shard race per faction; maybe that's just me). The Blood page lists Vennen, Orcs, Necrotic and Shin'hare, so I suppose they're okay with it being spread around a bit. They list four races for Sapphire, too (Humans, Coyotle, Dwarves and Necrotic - so more of an even split between the factions than Blood, which is Underworld-heavy), so Blood's not any more crowded than that.

Would like to see some more Vennen cards though. (Hell, always up for seeing more of *any* type of card!)

I'd forgotten the pages on the shards listed the races. That simplifies matters greatly then. Blood and Sapphire have four representative races, while Ruby, Wild, and Diamond look like they'll have three.

Xenavire
05-15-2013, 03:50 AM
strong possibility, and I bet all 4 starters are mono-color, since that would be the easiest for new players to learn with.

What colour will be left out if they are mono colour? I see them most likely being mostly one colour with a splash of another, or people will feel like they cant choose that last colour.

I think all the decks will be multi- colour, probably with an overlap of cards.

Cailin_Coilleach
05-15-2013, 04:50 AM

Do you mean at the beta release? Or at the full release?

Starts for four of the ten races seems a bit of a meek start if it's about the commercial release.

A source would be nice, as I'm rather new to this forum and the news stream regarding Hex.

Gridian
05-15-2013, 05:17 AM
At the moment it looks like the game will launch with 4 races. There seem to be a total of 4 starter packs - so it seems logical to assume that each race will have its starter pack put together by Cryptozonic to give it the feel of the respective race and its gameplay.

To me this makes sense :-)

mauvebutterfly
05-15-2013, 05:22 AM
What colour will be left out if they are mono colour? I see them most likely being mostly one colour with a splash of another, or people will feel like they cant choose that last colour.

I think all the decks will be multi- colour, probably with an overlap of cards.

I think blood would be left out if they were all mono-colour.
Shin'hare = wild
Orc = ruby (these first two assume the demo decks were the starters)
Dwarf = sapphire (or ruby, but I doubt they'd double up)
Human = diamond (since sapphire and ruby are taken)

Xenavire
05-15-2013, 08:20 AM
That is true, blood doesn't have a supported race yet, but I would expect Shin'hare to be Blood/Wild, and Dwarf at least could easily go Ruby/Sapphire. Human I think would avoid blood, but I think it could go Ruby or Sapphire mixed with Diamond, and Orc could go with Wild reasonably well.

I expect mono-colour would be simpler, but dual colour is not hard to learn so I wouldn't be surprised if they went that direction.
(I started in Ravnica in MTG, everything was multi-colour there, and it was simple to learn, although a little harder to balance when you craft your own deck.)

ShaolinRaven
05-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Dual coloring will be a bit simpler in Hex though, cause all your casting costs are colorless and your just worrying about Threshold. So if something is a Wild card with 3 Threshold but costs 7 it doesn't matter how many blood resources you've played as long as you also have 3 Wild threshold.