PDA

View Full Version : so...heartstone vs hex

bafodalho
05-14-2013, 10:51 PM
hi everyone!

glad to see this new wave of new types of mmo's rising up, and im excited to join.

but i do have a tricky question to ask...

has you may know, heartstone is a tcg has well has hex, and spending my time and my money on 2 similar games at their core, seems wasteful and stupid...

i do have some pro's and con's about both games, even when i don't know them very well...while heartstone seems like more user-friendly, and simple, hex seems to have more depth and strategy involved.

i also know blizzard...while some of their game decisions may not be the best, i grew up with wow and starcraft, and no offense, i've never heard of cryptozoic, since im from europe =P

so...whats your take on the matter? from a neutral pov, which community should i join? and please, no fanboy answers, since im really trying to be objective about the matter. thanks for all replies =)

P.s. serious question: in hex, would the game ever forced me to spend money on packs to be competitive? do we have to buy power in this game to support it? or, like on league of legends, paying money is just a easier way to unlock content that is already free, but locked under quests/dungeons/raids?

hacky
05-14-2013, 10:56 PM
P.s. serious question: in hex, would the game ever forced me to spend money on packs to be competitive? do we have to buy power in this game to support it? or, like on league of legends, paying money is just a easier way to unlock content that is already free, but locked under quests/dungeons/raids?

Note: this is entirely for PvP, not PvE!

Let's put it this way, it will probably cost about half as much to be competitive at Hex as it does to be competitive in Magic or WoWTCG. (the booster pack cost is half). But it's not free.

So unfortunately, you'll probably need to spend money to be competitive in this game [for PvP]. It's nothing new for us card players.

You might be able to get away with grinding up an amazing amount of in-game gold for singles (from other players) instead of buying booster packs, but it'll probably cost way too much effort to be worth it.

Hearthstone will probably be similar though, and there is zero trading with other players in that game. It'll probably be more possible to be a free player in that game, though I do not know to what extent. It's just the nature of multiplayer collectible card games.

For PvE though? Should be completely free in both games.

Kalius
05-14-2013, 10:56 PM
you have to spend money to buy PVP packs in Hex, just like any other TCG, so yes you would have to spend money. However, the primary difference between Hearthstone and Hex, is Cryptozoic has FAR more experience with TCGs than blizzard does, so you can expect Hex to be far better balanced, as well as more enjoyable to play and having more options on how to play.

However, blizzard has pretty much said you can get packs just for playing Hearthstone, so why not play both?

bafodalho
05-14-2013, 11:01 PM
you have to spend money to buy PVP packs in Hex, just like any other TCG, so yes you would have to spend money. However, the primary difference between Hearthstone and Hex, is Cryptozoic has FAR more experience with TCGs than blizzard does, so you can expect Hex to be far better balanced, as well as more enjoyable to play and having more options on how to play.

However, blizzard has pretty much said you can get packs just for playing Hearthstone, so why not play both?
time consuming

btw, i haven't resolved this issue yet...is the game free to play? from what i know, Hs is, but idk about hex
i've read about a subscription, and im not willing to spend my income to maintain a subscription on a tcg (don't take me wrong, but i dont like tcg that much to compensate the subscription to me)

Socks4615
05-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Hex's PvE is free to play, and for me, that's the edge up here, is the idea of using TCG mechanics in an MMORPG type environment. But it's all going to depend on what different people want from a game.

TheBlueMagician
05-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Hearthstone is for people looking for a casual TCG experience.

They severely limit you in deck creation, the monsters die quickly and feel like they have no permanence or power, and matches are intended to go fast.

Hex, on the other hand, is fairly deep; it retains a lot of the best parts of Magic, while layering on additional features that don't muddle the core mechanics.

If you want to sit down and play something in front of the TV every evening, grab Hearthstone. If you want to sit down and engage in the psuedo-puzzle of deck creation, and test your ability to manage, maintain, and wield a deck based on a large amount of cards, grab Hex.

Honestly, I think Hex looks far superior for even a casual TCG fan; it has a lot more options available, and the PvE content is sort of the "casual" side of Hex. Hearthstone just looks like watered down Magic you can play on your iPad while you're traveling; good for a relaxing experience before bed, but not for prolonged sessions, or long-term commitment.

Dralon
05-14-2013, 11:29 PM
Playing two games, and spending money on two games, even if similar, is not uncommon, and I am sure many people will play a bit in both, playing more in one or the other as fits their mood and time commitments. Heck in real life I can look in my closet and see multiple card games I have purchased cards for at the same time, and my computer has multiple MMO's I can jump into as my mood sees fit.

There will be those people that will be all in with one and zero with the other, which is fine. The depth of Hex, the lore, the equipment the digital tricks the cards can do all seem amazing. Hearthstone, with the Warcraft character's, quicker gameplay, basis in the WOW TCG rules, simplified, and it's Ipad availability (likely sooner than Hex's Ipad version) will also get played by me. I plan to enjoy both.

WSzaboPeter
05-14-2013, 11:55 PM
I would say that if you are a TCG veteran you will love HEX a lot more than HeartStone. On the other hand if you are looking for some quick casual fun than HS might be the way to go. Then again, as many said before me: why not try both?

Rapkannibale
05-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Not gonna repeat what everyone else said but for me Hearthstone will be a nice filler while I wait for Hex. If they release earlier than Hex beta that is. I may also play it on my iPad here and there but don't think I'll invest money into it.

Fireblast
05-15-2013, 02:54 AM
To me there are 3 good games coming up, depending on how deep you want your experience to be (and how much you want to invest, be time and/or money) I'd rank them this way :

1 - HEX : fun F2P PvE and Balanced PvP - Dungeons are 4-5h but you can save and come back
2 - Solforge : Fun and 5-10 minutes games either PvP or PvAI - don't have the same depth of mechanics that HEX does
3 - Hearthstone : fun game for casual playing

When all 3 are released I'll play HEX for real and Solforge on the phone during daily travel time to work
Hearthstone if HEX servers are down (not even sure, I might lurk on HEX databases/articles/deckbuilding sites)

~

Patrigan
05-15-2013, 03:22 AM
2 - Solforge : Fun and 5-10 minutes games either PvP or PvAI - don't have the same depth of mechanics that HEX does

Iwouldn't be sure about that, there's still a lot of cards to be previewed.

WWKnight
05-15-2013, 03:42 AM
Yeah, so this is where I mention Infinity Wars.

As far as depth of play is concerned, I think IW blows all these games out of the water. Simultaneous turns, with combat prediction mechanics really rewarding good play.

Im equally on the fence between Hex and IW, cause Hex seems to have more to do. I will probably spend most of my play time in PvE on Hex, but when I want to do PvP, I will head over to Lightmare and play their game instead.

Having said that, I will still be frolicing in the fields of Hex PvP too. Im so happy to have found two very interesting and deep TCG games. :)

Fireblast
05-15-2013, 03:43 AM
Solforge is Tactical, while HEX is Strategical.
Solforge is all about choosing the best 2 out of 5 you can play, and put them in the right lane : it's tactics

HEX is about elaborating a game plan and do your best to have it win : it's strategy

~

WWKnight
05-15-2013, 03:44 AM
Great summary Fireblast. I'll be stealing that :)

BlackRoger
05-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Hearthstone should be nice for a change of pace from time to time, but from what I've seen so far it won't have the depth to keep me interested for long.

Mechanics are too simplified, most decks are just a mishmash of cards with no common tactic/goal, and so many mechanics are random that its hard to actualy plan ahead.

In other words, extremely casual.

Rieper
05-15-2013, 08:10 AM
i will play both. Start my friends of with heartstone if i have to, then slowly pull em over to hex.

But hearthstone do seem like a game that far better for small trips playing on phone, where with massive amount stuff in hex, i will prefer a PC or big tablet.( I do expect there to be some hex decks that just spawns million of small monster)

d00dz
05-15-2013, 08:22 AM
I watched all of the videos of Hearthstone that came out and to be honest, I find the game bland and devoid of depth. Don't get me wrong, I love the Warcraft universe (since WC1) and have been playing WoW since 2003 but coming from a rich MTG background it just doesn't quite appeal to me. I guess newbies will love the game though.

Littlejon24
05-15-2013, 08:25 AM
I can see many people switching to Hex if CZE produces an App for it on Android/iOS. Hearthstone does not captivate a person's imagination as well as Hex does.

Dralon
05-15-2013, 08:35 AM
While to some degree it is unavoidable, I just hope that people don't become too "elitist" about "their" game and spend time and energy denigrating other games and other players. One persons boring is another persons fun diversion.

Tyrfang
05-15-2013, 08:45 AM
I tried Duel of the Champions yesterday, and it doesn't exactly interest me. The power disparity between your starter deck and even a deck of moderate rarity is silly.

Infinity Wars is another TCG that might interest some of the people here. It's slated for beta around the end of this month.

WWKnight
05-15-2013, 09:49 AM
i tried duel of the champions yesterday, and it doesn't exactly interest me. The power disparity between your starter deck and even a deck of moderate rarity is silly.

Infinity wars is another tcg that might interest some of the people here. It's slated for beta around the end of this month.

AN IW PLUG! From someone who isnt me!?! :D :D :D

Boojum
05-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I've been checking out Duel of Champions over the last couple days as a temporary fix, since I'm fairly intrigued by all of the digital TCGs mentioned in this thread and none of them are out yet. I'm enjoying it, but it's clearly a couple orders of magnitude less ambitious than Hex. FYI, Tyrfang, getting your starter deck up to "moderate rarity" is a pretty quick and easy process. I ran through the single-player content (tutorial + 8 duels), played one quick game online, and found a new player thread on their forums with a few codes you can use once per account for some extras. The combination of currency and free packs worked out to about 20+ boosters without putting any money in, which was plenty to substantially customize the starter deck, though it's still a bit short if I wanted to build one for any other faction.

I like the overall mechanics of the game (the use of lane positioning and movement adds a nice tactical element), but I'll agree that the actual card design is kind of spotty. Most of the neutral cards are much worse than their faction equivalents, there are cards that are duplicates in all but name, and some of the uncommons and rares have a large power gap over the commons. Still, while I probably won't put any money in, I'm finding it to scratch the digital TCG itch for the time being.

Barov
05-15-2013, 10:52 AM
I have been trying sol forge and Duel of Champions the last couple of days. The problem I find with these lane based card games is they seem to devolve to mininon spam games. Hearthstone doesn't have lane based, but I feel it still suffers from the lack of instant cards. Being unable to play cards on your opponents turn removes a lot of strategy and can often make it feel like your playing solitaire. The only card game I have enjoyed without instant cards is Netrunner.