PDA

View Full Version : Drafting with friends?

Dagron
05-15-2013, 08:22 AM
This is something that I'm very interested in. Is it going to be possible to setup a draft with just my friends? Without going through matchmaking? I'm assuming it will be, but I haven't seen anything related to PvP type stuff with just your friends.

Drafting was something my circle of friends did a lot of when we were playing MTG. We'd go out and buy a box and then do a draft tournament for fun. I'd just like to see a similar feature for this.

It'd also be nice if it didn't require the 8 players that are going to be used for the normal PvP matchmaking drafts.

Just my two cents. It looks to be shaping up to be awesome. Keep up the good work.

Deadpool319
05-15-2013, 08:28 AM
This would definitely be interesting but would pose a development challenge. Drafts are done with PvP packs, but they couldn't let you structure your own official PvP draft pool (for World Championship points) because of collusion concerns. So a PvE format would be my first thought, but again, PvP packs... It is a great thought, though and I hope they can bridge the gap between casual and pro and allow for casual "for fun" drafting.

Kami
05-15-2013, 08:30 AM
I think drafting with friends should be implemented but prizes/rewards for winning the draft should not be awarded.

That being said, bring your own boosters, no entry fee, have fun.

Most likely the best solution in this case.

Tyrfang
05-15-2013, 08:41 AM
I hope one of the guild features would be guild-run tournaments.

Phantom drafts (which is the term someone else on the forum appears to have coined) where you don't save the cards afterwards would be great for practice runs.

Rapkannibale
05-15-2013, 08:48 AM
We already unlocked guild tournament support. I'm assuming those would support draft format.

Devaux
05-15-2013, 08:49 AM
We already unlocked guild tournament support. I'm assuming those would support draft format.

Wait. When they say "Guild Tournaments" do they mean tournaments in which guilds compete or tournaments that can be run within guilds?

Tyrfang
05-15-2013, 08:52 AM
I assumed it was inter-guild competitions, not intra-guild gated tournaments.

ShaolinRaven
05-15-2013, 08:53 AM
I think they are planning both Guild internal tourneys and Guild vs Guild tourneys. I would expect for the internal Guild tourneys that the guild leaders/members would be responsible for the prizes though. You set up a private tourney for your guild and supply the boosters/plat/gold whatever for the prize.

Another option for internal guild tourneys would be for practice. Phantom tourneys where there isn't any prizes and if its a draft or sealed then you don't keep the cards and you don't have to buy the packs. Maybe they could include and internal ladder to see where individuals in a guild stand with each other.

Dagron
05-15-2013, 09:25 AM
I assumed the Guild Tournaments was more for Guild v. Guild. But I'd be happy to see an internal Guild Tournament option. And yeah, if you're drafting with friends, I'd assume no external prizes. You buy the boosters, and then you draft them.

Cailin_Coilleach
05-15-2013, 11:58 AM
I originally read it as intra-guild tournaments, but now inter-guild makes more sense. Both would be appreciated though :)

Auriok
05-15-2013, 12:29 PM
or if guild can set own tournaments -> see who is though guy.

Digital_Aether
05-15-2013, 12:47 PM
They already announced casual drafting. There's no prize, no fee, and you can play with your friends. Pretty sure that's in an update somewhere, maybe one of the videos.

Devaux
05-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Do you use packs or is it phantom draft?

Digital_Aether
05-15-2013, 01:12 PM
I thought casual drafting used booster packs, and just got rid of both fees and prizes.

Dagron
05-15-2013, 01:28 PM
I've watched all the videos and read all the updates. And I didn't recall seeing something like that. But I'm happy to hear it. If you happen to find the source for that, I'd like to see it. Thanks for the info. Cheers!

Vibraxus
05-15-2013, 01:28 PM
I thought casual drafting used booster packs, and just got rid of both fees and prizes.

The whole idea of a "ghost" draft is simply amazing. It could be a perk added to the more guild heavy tiers, like DK and above that can only be used within the guild of the DK. Could limit the number of ghost drafts a week for the guild like to maybe 2 or 3. That way the guild can run internal tournies...hell could even limit the number of players to the draft to like 8 (as we know guilds can/will be much larger) or less.

Parallax
05-15-2013, 02:35 PM
The whole idea of a "ghost" draft is simply amazing. It could be a perk added to the more guild heavy tiers, like DK and above that can only be used within the guild of the DK. Could limit the number of ghost drafts a week for the guild like to maybe 2 or 3. That way the guild can run internal tournies...hell could even limit the number of players to the draft to like 8 (as we know guilds can/will be much larger) or less.

I think the Guild Master tier could use these sort of perks. It's currently losing pledges and only has 5.

Jinuyr
05-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Having this feature would be really nice. I don't expect any points towards Worlds but to be able to practice with your guild, much like casual drafting or deck testing is meant more to see how well you could do in a situation like that.

Vibraxus
05-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Bump.

Ghost drafts for guilds?