PDA

View Full Version : Creating and Gearing Your Character

Shaqattaq
05-15-2013, 11:21 AM
by Kevin Jordan

One aspect every RPG has in common is that you are a character in some fantastic world with a specific look and a set of skills that give you the basis for how you interact with the setting. One goal we had for HEX was to make sure we solidify the connection you have with the character you're playing. We want an immersive experience to complement the deep strategic layer the game offers.

Two of the primary ways that players establish this connection is by creating your character, then equipping them with all the cool loot you find or make. Since I am in charge of the Champion and Equipment systems in HEX, let me tell you a bit about what we have planned.

http://hextcg.com/creating-and-gearing-up-your-character/

Draqoin
05-15-2013, 11:45 AM
So the class talents are the same for each race I'm guessing? I can't wait for the other classes to be revealed so I can see which Coyotle to pick.

LoneRapture
05-15-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm still trying to find out if there is a limit of one champion per player. Do you only level up and use one champion?

Barov
05-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Are talent choices permenate or will there be a way to respec? I would hate to be locked into a choice that didn't turn out to be my playstyle, but at the sametime the ability to change whenever takes away the impact of the choice.

PS. That shrine is INSANE!

Erebus
05-15-2013, 12:18 PM
LoneRapture, it has been stated that you can have any number of champions and you level them up seperatily.

WSzaboPeter
05-15-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm stunned by the shrine, really.
The talent tree is hard to judge. So far it seems ok, something similar to what I was expecting after reading quite a few videos/forum posts. What is a bit odd is parry combined with whirlwind. I think people can simply put everything to armor, give -2/0 and 3dmg, while getting only a bit of dmg to yourself (in some cases maybe even 0) to all troops the opponent control. And if the metagame will be higher power lower toughness creatures, than you can adjust, like -3/0 and 2dmg to the opponent's board.
This starts to look like a one sited sweep that does not require a card, so it is insane card advantage machine by itself. I'm eager to see how the other classes look like.
P.S: Did I mention the shrine? :)

LoneRapture
05-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Ah ok. I had not seen that anywhere. Thanks. Sept. can't come fast enough.

Erebus
05-15-2013, 02:09 PM
WSzaboPeter, don't forget that Equipment is PvE only, except for the occasional PvE tourny (but that might be pve cards only, still no equip). So power level is not too much of a deal.

Twztyd
05-15-2013, 02:29 PM
That shrine is nuts! If your deck doesnt get shuffled for a few turns, and a troop is sitting under it with the gear on it thats gonna be one big dude.

Fireblast
05-15-2013, 02:59 PM
So far the shrine could be the best PvP card we've seen.
Rightly costed with a nice effect, it's powerlevel will depend on how fast paced the game is and how many "Destroy Artifact" will be played.

~

Erebus
05-15-2013, 03:34 PM
I plan on playing Sapphire/Artifact dwarves, so all the better for me :)

alpha5099
05-15-2013, 03:39 PM
I'm curious about the Shrine's effect on resources. I was under the impression that resources always conferred a charge when played. Does the Shrine create a stacking effect, so you get more than one charge?

I'd also like to know how and if respeccing will be in the game.

Maligance
05-15-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm stunned by the shrine, really.
The talent tree is hard to judge. So far it seems ok, something similar to what I was expecting after reading quite a few videos/forum posts. What is a bit odd is parry combined with whirlwind. I think people can simply put everything to armor, give -2/0 and 3dmg, while getting only a bit of dmg to yourself (in some cases maybe even 0) to all troops the opponent control. And if the metagame will be higher power lower toughness creatures, than you can adjust, like -3/0 and 2dmg to the opponent's board.
This starts to look like a one sited sweep that does not require a card, so it is insane card advantage machine by itself. I'm eager to see how the other classes look like.
P.S: Did I mention the shrine? :)

Don't forget that the champion aspect here is only for PvE content. My understanding is that you have generic champions that you can pick for PVP matches, but nowhere near as powerful for the abilities you get (an example is the Orc Mage who makes the 3/1 flame, or the Shinhare champion that makes a shinhare for the charge ability).

Devaux
05-15-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm curious about the Shrine's effect on resources. I was under the impression that resources always conferred a charge when played. Does the Shrine create a stacking effect, so you get more than one charge?

I'd also like to know how and if respeccing will be in the game.

It means the resource will grant 2 charges instead of one. Its a templating oddity.

WaylandX
05-15-2013, 06:03 PM
So far the shrine could be the best PvP card we've seen.
Rightly costed with a nice effect, it's powerlevel will depend on how fast paced the game is and how many "Destroy Artifact" will be played.

~
It also could jest be a PvE card only

alpha5099
05-15-2013, 08:15 PM
The Sheltered Deployment passive uses the phrase "Troop Trauma." What is that? Hex's terminology for summoning sickness?

jtatta
05-15-2013, 08:17 PM

The Shrine is a PvP card. It doesn't have the PvE symbol on it. I also agree that it's the most powerful PvP card shown so far along side Zombie Plague and the Vampire dude.

Fateanomaly
05-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Does the hero system means we have to train a hero everytime we make a deck with a different playstyle?

judas42
05-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Seems we have to collect equipment seperately for each champion, but what about PvE-cards? Is there an account-wide common pool for all champions or does each champion has its own pool? And can I trade equipment and/or PvE-cards between my champions?

Fireblast
05-16-2013, 01:42 AM

It doesn't have the orange mask on the left of the rarity icon, so it's definitely pvp :)

~

houjix
05-16-2013, 06:37 AM
It doesn't have the orange mask on the left of the rarity icon, so it's definitely pvp :)

~

Assuming they have updated all the card images. Still Shrine is a pretty cool card. Might be one of the first chase rares of the game. In PVE it's going to be nuts.

BenStoll
05-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Hey everyone! Just to clarify, Shrine of Prosperity is a PvP card!

C-Drive
05-16-2013, 05:37 PM

Welcome to the boards new junior member! ;)

Gregzilla
05-16-2013, 05:48 PM
What, exactly, is meant by PVP card? That it's only for PVP? That you can only get it in PVP? Or.... nevermind. Answered my own question

CoolGrayAJ
05-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Shrine of Prosperity is definitely my favorite card so far. That and Rot Sniper (http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/VENNEN_2560x1600.jpg)

Vengus
05-17-2013, 04:18 AM
What, exactly, is meant by PVP card? That it's only for PVP? That you can only get it in PVP? Or.... nevermind. Answered my own question
What people mean with PvP card is that it comes from a boosterpack and can be used in PvP. However, every "PvP" card can also be used in PvE.

*Hands Ben Stoll a can of purple paint* Stay with us! :P

Gregzilla
05-17-2013, 12:20 PM
I expect having a few of these out in play would be really insane...

CoolGrayAJ
05-17-2013, 12:37 PM
I expect having a few of these out in play would be really insane...

And fully-equipped, too? Mmm...

WaylandX
05-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the clarification!