PDA

View Full Version : Cory's podcast minutes

Fireblast
05-16-2013, 02:03 PM
HEX is a chocolate/peanut butter invention :)

HEX is the game CZE's Team wants to play, and since it didn't exist, they made it!

Cory goes back on his resume, Hardcore TCG and MMO player (UO, WOW, ProTour Player at MtG), worked at Blizzard (Head of Global Licensing) so he knows eSports thru Starcraft, WoWTCG/Raid Decks inventor

CZE knows how to make set rotation, healthy metagame, good OP support (from WoWTCG)

CZE has the best Team : Kevin Jordan and Chris Woods

Hardcore TCG + Single player / Guild / Digital's potential (gems, equipment, mechanics)

Organized Play :
Video to come up about OP's plans
/ eSport exploded and MtG (TCG) was the first eSport so HEX will be huge and is overdue
/ Lots of format
/ Real Cash Prizes even if it's difficult from a legal perspective but they're working actively on it
/ Real Life HEX tournament (ala Starcraft / League of Legends)

Art :
Cory is looking for tons of artists and it's very important to have good art (didn't get much of that part, but their art is great basically :p)

PvE can be looser than PvP so they can give Exclusive and design really fun cards

PvP is about balance and OP

Awesome features to come in 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, Cory has it all planned.
They'll keep on investing in the game to add features as fast as possible and support Organized Play.
Nobody will be able to compare to HEX cause they'll always be ahead of everyone else

Each and every $ from Kickstarter will go into the game

According to Cory backing HEX is the best investment ever :p

Cory was not expecting the game to be funded so fast (initial $300k) that's why they scrambled on stretch goals cause they wanted to hear community's feedback

According to the podcaster, HEX is the right game, by the right people/company at the right time! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpwQQVcW-Us)

~

Tyrfang
05-16-2013, 02:06 PM
"I'm Officer Reeses, what seems to be the problem here?"

Tyrfang
05-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Awesome features to come in 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, Cory has it all planned.
They'll keep on investing in the game to add features as fast as possible and support Organized Play.
Nobody will be able to compare to HEX cause they'll always be ahead of everyone else

Each and every $ from Kickstarter will go into the game

That's always great to hear.

Xenavire
05-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Cory just seems too awesome. I swear to god, he had better have kids just so they can have an awesome dad. If that makes any sense and doesn't sound creepy.

Stupnick
05-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Cory just seems too awesome. I swear to god, he had better have kids just so they can have an awesome dad. If that makes any sense and doesn't sound creepy.

He has a daughter, who actually plays games and has designed games of her own. It is actually pretty awesome, as Cory has printed games his daughter has designed just to play them with her...

CoolGrayAJ
05-16-2013, 02:36 PM
He has a daughter, who actually plays games and has designed games of her own. It is actually pretty awesome, as Cory has printed games his daughter has designed just to play them with her...

Best. Dad. Ever.

Xenavire
05-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Best. Dad. Ever.

Exactly what I expected from him. He is just that kind of awesome.

lordskwid
05-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Organized Play :
Video to come up about OP's plans
/ eSport exploded and MtG (TCG) was the first eSport so HEX will be huge and is overdue
/ Lots of format
/ Real Cash Prizes even if it's difficult from a legal perspective but they're working actively on it
/ Real Life HEX tournament (ala Starcraft / League of Legends)

If Cryptozoic is serious about this, they are going to need to step up production immensely. A spectator mode is absolutely necessary in order to show the audience the game with a decent production. LAN is another thing to consider - nobody wants to see the "waiting for connection" load screen mid-match. It helps that an online TCG is not very intensive in this respect.

The current birds-eye camera in live TCG production just doesn't cut it. It is one-dimensional and boring in my honest opinion.

The in game interface for Hex is a great start, but I think a spectator mode is needed for tournaments; I also believe showing hole cards could be revolutionary - albeit harder to execute due to collusion concerns - and would add a new level to commentary and spectating. Without a decent spectator mode people (specifically spectators) will fail to become engaged with the game and the production.

This is an incredibly exciting prospect and I hope that CZE is currently weighing these possibilities in order to bring the best experience to fans and future fans as development proceeds.

jai151
05-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Spectator mode is rather easy to do, they just mirror the playfield. Showing hole cards, however, would be impossible unless it was a replay of a previously played match from a tournament that is over.

Tyrfang
05-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Rather easy in comparison to...?

It's probably one of the more complicated features to add.

Off the top of my head it requires:

Online, "competitive offline," and replay modes, which has to filter out any potentially skimmable information that players might use to cheat.

UI for pause/fast-forward/reverse, as well as the back-end to support it

The ability to reload at a certain point in the game in case of crashes, or being able to browse based on turn

The ability to change between player viewpoints

The ability to hide both sides hands

That said...it is an essential feature, so it will be implemented anyway.

lordskwid
05-16-2013, 05:33 PM
I was thinking along the same lines Tyrfang. Perhaps just a tournament client seperate from the game client with lan enabled and the features mentioned. Quite exciting.

Digital_Aether
05-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Why an offline mode? Just like an MMO, this game is going to be online only. You send them actions, but they're the ones holding the cards and making the magic happen. If the guy is sitting next to you, just lean over and read his gamer tag. Accounts are free, there's no reason he can't have a unique account that's network connectable. If it's about sharing a card pool, invite him to your guild first. All your cards, stats, damages, achievements, etc. are all on their servers. It would be like trying to lan WoW real quick to duel your buddies in an arena, you'd have no way to get to a server or load your character.

Tyrfang
05-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Double post.

Tyrfang
05-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Not an offline mode, a competitive client for in-person, live events. I meant "offline" as in separate from the primary server.

It's to avoid the potential hiccups that might occur if you use the primary client and primary server for competitive events, and to keep people from doing stuff like spamming the players with constant PMs during games.

Vibraxus
05-16-2013, 05:55 PM

Wow.....that choked up a bit. Ive done some crazy awesome stuff for my son, but that just totally raises the bar. As said.

Best. Dad. Ever.

Digital_Aether
05-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Tyrfang, while I agree it would be nice, that involves them giving out server-side code to clients. For security (both from hackers and for their IP), I really doubt they'll give one like that out. They might have a version to run for IRL competitions though.

Tyrfang
05-16-2013, 06:18 PM
...What? Why?

Cryptozoic run live events, run on their PCs.

Plus you can make a competitive-only client that is only up for the online portion of the qualifiers and just has a different IP address to connect to.

Also this has nothing to do with a replay mode.

Digital_Aether
05-16-2013, 06:32 PM
I think that CZE wouldn't want anyone else to have a copy of their server programs, or anything that can host the games. It might be able to be pirated or ripped off. If you could 'host lan' events on your own time, what's to stop someone from hacking it to have all the cards, and just playing on private servers? How about re-skinning it and adding your own cards? How about selling that as a 'new title' in countries with loose IP laws? That kinda stuff does actually happen all the time. Not to mention, if it isn't substantially changed from the actual server side code, it could expose vulnerabilities in the game if it has any. There's going to be a lot of data management keeping track of these cards, and if there was a bug found that could allow for a database attack, it could be financially devastating. If you are playing on LAN, then wouldn't a network problem effect you both? And if CZE runs a tournament, they can protect their IP still because they're the ones supplying the hardware.

Tyrfang
05-16-2013, 06:34 PM
I meant "Why would you need to give out server info?"

I think you seriously misunderstood my definition of competition client and "LAN" mode.

Digital_Aether
05-16-2013, 06:37 PM
If you're talking about playing in an "offline" mode, someone has to be playing server. Who does damage calculations? In the normal game, I bet that's server side. In order to have a peer to peer game, that peer to peer has to have some sort of ability to replace those server features. That's what I mean by "give out server info".

Tyrfang
05-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Yes, you greatly misunderstood what I meant by "offline" mode.

I meant off the main server, run on a sub-server, with a separate client install using a different main server IP address and different server parameters.

e.g. all cards unlocked, no drafts unless invited, and not open for the general player population.

Still run by Cryptozoic and still requires a connection, just "offline" in the sense that your progress doesn't matter in anyway and it is completely cordoned off from the MMO-Hex server.

Edit: This sort of system is used for competitive League of Legends play.

Vibraxus
05-16-2013, 06:47 PM
So set up seperate servers for individuals to run their own tournies? Seems a wee bit of a crazy goal...This just sounds like another play mode that could be offered....Invite only tournies, or something for guilds and to be added to the Guild Master tier and be a guild only internal thing.

Maybe even a guild V guild thing...

Tyrfang
05-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Man. I don't know what I have to say to make this clear.

This is for Cryptozoic-run events, not player-run events...

Digital_Aether
05-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Do you just mean a way to flag yourself as "offline" so the social features don't pester you mid match?

caffn8d
05-16-2013, 06:49 PM
He's talking about client/server considerations for serious e-sports broadcasts. Not just run of the mill tournaments.

Digital_Aether
05-16-2013, 06:52 PM
I think I get what he means. Just a version of the client to be used in in-person tournaments that are hosted by CZE.

Ebynfel
05-16-2013, 07:25 PM
I think I get what he means. Just a version of the client to be used in in-person tournaments that are hosted by CZE.
That's what I got out of it

Fireblast
05-16-2013, 11:17 PM
A tournament being in a live place doesn't mean it cannot be on the real servers.
How do you get your trophies on your cards if you play on some offline version

~

nearlysober
05-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Spectator mode will be essential (maybe not fully "LIVE" [to prevent info leaking])... but any major eSport/major Tourney based gaming has some sort of spectating mode.

All I know is... if I'm not playing in HEX Worlds... i want to be able to watch games & view things as the tourney goes.

nearlysober
05-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Listening to the link in the original post... @ 40:19 while they're interviewing Corey... They're making an Archer board game?! I love this company!!!

Mesquite
05-17-2013, 01:14 AM
Yes, you greatly misunderstood what I meant by "offline" mode.

I meant off the main server, run on a sub-server, with a separate client install using a different main server IP address and different server parameters.

e.g. all cards unlocked, no drafts unless invited, and not open for the general player population.

Still run by Cryptozoic and still requires a connection, just "offline" in the sense that your progress doesn't matter in anyway and it is completely cordoned off from the MMO-Hex server.

Edit: This sort of system is used for competitive League of Legends play.

I understood what you meant earlier. I don't think you need to address this personally. Cryptozoic will likely implement this themselves for their first world tournaments, if they are going the route of actually flying people to a central location. Or, they will wait until there is a disaster at one of the larger tournaments, and implement a LAN or tourney specific client then. (As an aside, I don't even remember, but did LoL have a tourney client for their first world championships?)

I also made the suggestions of spectator modes and streaming modes earlier. They will have to have a built in delay (perhaps even delayed until end of game) or some kind of blinder on to protect against ghosting, of course. They could stick with the simple: if an item is visible to all players, then it is visible to spectators for live spectating.