PDA

View Full Version : Gnolls

Tarsen
05-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Reading through the lore for the minor races, I noticed that the gnolls are led by a king and his sons. Hyenas are actually matriarchal, with the females both bigger and meaner than the males. Since there are already two all male races, the dwarves and the vennen, and most of the races seem to be led by a variety of kings and emperors, I think it might be cool to make the gnolls matrilineal. It would be a spin on it different from most fantasy games, which tend to ignore this aspect of the gnoll's real world inspiration, and I love the idea of running a deck based around a big, brutish, foul gnoll matriarch mercenary. Just a thought I had.

Loregoyle
05-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Hyenas are actually matriarchal, with the females both bigger and meaner than the males.

Is that common knowledge and I am just an idiot that I didn't know that? :o

Tarsen
05-16-2013, 04:52 PM
I watched a lot of discovery channel growing up, and I'd say its common knowledge amongst the people I know, but I wouldn't feel bad. Sexual dimorphism in favor of the female isn't that common. :P

alpha5099
05-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Please, please make the gnolls a matriarchal society. That'd be awesome. (I say this as someone who knew that hyenas were matriarchal, though I didn't consider it while reading about the gnolls.)

Thanisse
05-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Is that common knowledge and I am just an idiot that I didn't know that? :o

it's common knowledge if you like zoology or watch a lot of animal planet :P
not so much if the only aproach on animals you have is slaying a dragon in some game .

depends very much on your point of view ... there are a lot of weird facts about animals that even would be zoologists (hope I am spelling this right ) don't know .

Cailin_Coilleach
05-17-2013, 04:06 AM
Please, please make the gnolls a matriarchal society. That'd be awesome.
Upvote. +1. Like.

Or whatever it takes here :)

Kelthrax
05-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Upvote. +1. Like.

Or whatever it takes here :)

Ditto.

ShaolinRaven
05-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Yeah actually the Vennen would also make more sense as a matriarchy, their Primal is female, and female arachnids tend to also be more aggressive then the males. And if they are half orc and orcs seem to be ruled by a council that doesn't care about gender, it makes more sense to either be a matriarchy or a ruling council... or a ruling council of only females if you want to mix the approach.

Omegahugger
05-18-2013, 12:05 AM
But having a country of male spider-people would be a nice change of pace. Especially since they're the closest we have to dark elves (... Dark Orcs?), who're often matriarchal.

On the other hand, I fully endorse the upcoming gnoll matriarchy. Not that I'd likely be able to tell the difference between a male and female gnoll. ^^'

ShaolinRaven
05-18-2013, 12:21 AM
I was just pointing it out. Though making the Vennen matriarchal would make 3/4 underworld races matriarchal since the Shen'hare seem to also be more that way with the Concubunnies. And yeah I couldn't help but think orc driders???? when I first read about the Vennen.

alpha5099
05-18-2013, 06:15 PM
I was just pointing it out. Though making the Vennen matriarchal would make 3/4 underworld races matriarchal since the Shen'hare seem to also be more that way with the Concubunnies. And yeah I couldn't help but think orc driders???? when I first read about the Vennen.

I don't think a species with an Emperor could be considered matriarchal. Their reproductive strategies aren't akin to humanity's, but it doesn't make them a matriarchy.

Thanisse
05-19-2013, 02:07 AM
I don't think a species with an Emperor could be considered matriarchal. Their reproductive strategies aren't akin to humanity's, but it doesn't make them a matriarchy.

yep . most likely they are just silly slave women :)
babby factories , so on :P

I really can't wait to see the emperor though xD ... it's so much like the keeping alive of the emperor in warhammer , only with more mutation and less psychic sacrifices :P

Omegahugger
05-19-2013, 02:58 AM
yep . most likely they are just silly slave women :)
babby factories , so on :P

Actually, Concubunny seems to be amongst the highest ranks a Shin'hare can obtain, beneath Emperor and General. It might also be beneath some nobles as well, given that the Shin'hare seem pretty feudal.
That reminds me, can we get Concubunny as a playable class? Beating dragons as a baby-making badass would be awesome.

Thanisse
05-19-2013, 03:29 AM
Actually, Concubunny seems to be amongst the highest ranks a Shin'hare can obtain, beneath Emperor and General. It might also be beneath some nobles as well, given that the Shin'hare seem pretty feudal.
That reminds me, can we get Concubunny as a playable class? Beating dragons as a baby-making badass would be awesome.

I think concubunny is more of a gender issue , not class :P
also , I am sure they aren't exactly allowed to go out on the battlefield (IE attack)
their role is to churn out babbies

also not exactly sure how much revered the women in the old japan were ... but I am sure that most had close to no real power , at least not military power. they are important for sure (nothing more important then a babby making machine if your strategy is to have 1 billion useless cannon fodder soldiers) but pretty sure they are not exactly asked if they want to make those babbies :P

Omegahugger
05-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Well, we've most definitely seen a Concubunny attack. Granted, it had 0 strength at the begnnng, but give her a sword and that part's fixed. Based on the outfit and flavour text, Ritualist of the Spring Litter might even be one, and that lady gets HUGE after a few turns (RofSL doesn't have the Concubunny class like actual Concubunny card, though)

And according to the descriptions, it seems that Concubunnies have a psychic link with each other and are given a harem of strong warriors. I doubt that is a privilige that can be afforded all the little bunnies. Actually, wouldn't the Shin'hare throw every single member at their enemies? If I remember correctly, the japanese expected their women to be proficient with a naginata, and schoolgirls were trained in spears during the WWII.

Concerning the choice in being a full-blown mass-production baby-boombox, well... No Shin'hare seem to get any choice in anything, really. I think even Ito is forced to stay in his role as Emperor by the Shin'hare masses (although I doubt he wanted to leave even if he could).

Thanisse
05-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Well, we've most definitely seen a Concubunny attack. Granted, it had 0 strength at the begnnng, but give her a sword and that part's fixed. Based on the outfit and flavour text, Ritualist of the Spring Litter might even be one, and that lady gets HUGE after a few turns (RofSL doesn't have the Concubunny class like actual Concubunny card, though)

And according to the descriptions, it seems that Concubunnies have a psychic link with each other and are given a harem of strong warriors. I doubt that is a privilige that can be afforded all the little bunnies. Actually, wouldn't the Shin'hare throw every single member at their enemies? If I remember correctly, the japanese expected their women to be proficient with a naginata, and schoolgirls were trained in spears during the WWII.

Concerning the choice in being a full-blown mass-production baby-boombox, well... No Shin'hare seem to get any choice in anything, really. I think even Ito is forced to stay in his role as Emperor by the Shin'hare masses (although I doubt he wanted to leave even if he could).

come to think of it ... 1000 years and horrible mutations + torturing warlock magics would make me want to "leave" as well ...
I guess you have the point of none having any real choice .

also lol at the schoolgirls ...

Shascarl
05-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Omagawd Gnolls!

Tarsen you bring up a good point, but perhaps this is 'all part of the plan'?

Maybe this so-called-king "Kazraga" and his three sons are just so far down the gnollish totem-pole, they don't even attract the attention of the leading females. Calling oneself a king certainly doesn't make it so!

Or maybe the ruling caste of females prefer to let the male gnolls think they have power to keep them occupied. Allowing the men to roll around in junkyards and play with discarded dwarven rubbish, while important decisions/matters of the clans are handled by the matriarchs.

OR even, perhaps the females are low enough in number where they have become subjugated? This could open up great mercenary card opportunities featuring freedom-fighting females (gnolliteration to the max)! Why assist any of the three pathetic princes in their struggle for the throne in 'Junkyard Dog' when you can help the rightful rulers set things straight?

Whatever Loregoyle and Cryptozoic decide for the future of this exciting game, it should probably include plenty more gnollywoles!

Thanisse
05-19-2013, 02:37 PM
there's another aspect of female gnools *cough * hienas that I forgot to mention :P
the females have false male genitalia ... sooo ... the king might as well be a drag queen for all we know !

Shascarl
05-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Hahah, I'm pretty sure I've heard that too! Those poor beasts... birthing through that must be a pain! @_@

As hilarious as it would be for King Kazraga to really be a queen, I'm hoping this fantasy setting is a tad more anatomically kind to our female hyenafolk. ;)

4acrossisemu
05-22-2013, 06:53 AM
Plus 1 for changing it :) or it will forever come up :P

and i don't think the Shin would give a crap about sex, just class. But we can take from Japanese history to make a couple guesses i suppose. I really like the idea of the emperor... Has someone been reading the 'rat trilogy' for inspiration? :D

Thanisse
05-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Plus 1 for changing it :) or it will forever come up :P

and i don't think the Shin would give a crap about sex, just class. But we can take from Japanese history to make a couple guesses i suppose. I really like the idea of the emperor... Has someone been reading the 'rat trilogy' for inspiration? :D

what is the rat trilogy ?

and how could a race revolving around making babbies not have sex as it's main priority
I would think that sending a concubunny in battle is a poor choice ... since she can make many more ... whereas the other wabbits are expendable.

4acrossisemu
05-23-2013, 01:39 AM
what is the rat trilogy ?

and how could a race revolving around making babbies not have sex as it's main priority
I would think that sending a concubunny in battle is a poor choice ... since she can make many more ... whereas the other wabbits are expendable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rats_(novel) The reference i was talking about doesn't pop up for a while but it's there. The last book is the best one and can be read alone. The others are slow burning stories but are good non the less.

Want i mean is they would not give a crap about if a rabbit was male or female. They would be given a class that is more important to the individual. those bunny hoppers are probably not all male for example. If their role is a bunny factory thats what they are end of story. I'd assume they could have an empress and it wouldn't be out of the norm.

Thanisse
05-25-2013, 07:07 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rats_(novel) The reference i was talking about doesn't pop up for a while but it's there. The last book is the best one and can be read alone. The others are slow burning stories but are good non the less.

Want i mean is they would not give a crap about if a rabbit was male or female. They would be given a class that is more important to the individual. those bunny hoppers are probably not all male for example. If their role is a bunny factory thats what they are end of story. I'd assume they could have an empress and it wouldn't be out of the norm.

I would presume the emperor has a harem of some sort :P
one empress is kinda lame ... then again , a huge fat mutated 1000 year old bunny isn't going to produce much quality soldiers I suspect x_X