by Matt Dunn

"Feed!" "Feed!" "Feed!"

http://hextcg.com/enter-the-arena/

clorox
05-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Oh... SO. MUCH. BLOOD.

february
05-16-2013, 03:53 PM
@Shaqattaq. Are there any plans to make these dungeons multi-player? From what I've seen, the closest to this would be the 3v1 raids, but I would love to have the chance to fight through the Orc Arena tag-team!

alpha5099
05-16-2013, 09:50 PM
How will dungeons work with our character levels? Are there level ranges for dungeons, or will the difficulty scale with our progress?

Loregoyle
05-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Dungeons have a minimum level to enter. We unlock a set of dungeons for each "tier" you reach (for example, when you hit level 20, we unlock a few dungeons, then when you reach level 25, a few more are unlocked, etc.) Once you meet the minimum level requirement, you can run it as many times as you want.

Even when you're at max level, you won't be able to ROFL-stomp a lower level dungeon like you could in a game like WoW. Because HEX is a card game, there is inherent variance to the cards you draw no matter what your level is. Hopefully that keeps the dungeon experience challenging and filled with tension even when you are max level.

At launch, we are using the phrases "dungeon" for a single-player experience and "raid" for a multi-player 3v1 experience. I love the idea of a multi-player version of the Orc Arena, this is something we should look at implementing post-launch.

Thanisse
05-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Dungeons have a minimum level to enter. We unlock a set of dungeons for each "tier" you reach (for example, when you hit level 20, we unlock a few dungeons, then when you reach level 25, a few more are unlocked, etc.) Once you meet the minimum level requirement, you can run it as many times as you want.

Even when you're at max level, you won't be able to ROFL-stomp a lower level dungeon like you could in a game like WoW. Because HEX is a card game, there is inherent variance to the cards you draw no matter what your level is. Hopefully that keeps the dungeon experience challenging and filled with tension even when you are max level.

At launch, we are using the phrases "dungeon" for a single-player experience and "raid" for a multi-player 3v1 experience. I love the idea of a multi-player version of the Orc Arena, this is something we should look at implementing post-launch.

specifically the orc arena would be nice to be do-alble with 3 people , each fighting separate bosses at the same time , then come together for a final battle against some big giant dragon :P or something like that

Boojum
05-17-2013, 01:23 PM

Thanks for clarifying this. How does that work with mercenaries? Every time you unlock a new one, do you have to start back over at the level 1 dungeons?

I'm a bit disappointed about gating dungeons by character level rather than per account. I was thinking about the inverse of your point about not being able to ROFL-stomp low-level dungeons. If I want to try out a new class, and start a brand-new character with a killer tuned deck, it should have a shot at taking on harder content.

Erebus
05-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Boojum, if you watch the update video on Mercenaries that was put out yesterday, Mercenary almost seem like something in addition to your normal Champion.

Corey and Chris implied that the Mercenary acted like a card you started in play with. So you had a choice of using his charge powers, or your own.

WaylandX
05-18-2013, 04:28 PM

I can't wait to try that "raid" 3 vs 1!

ShaolinRaven
05-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Boojum, if you watch the update video on Mercenaries that was put out yesterday, Mercenary almost seem like something in addition to your normal Champion.

Corey and Chris implied that the Mercenary acted like a card you started in play with. So you had a choice of using his charge powers, or your own.

Actually from the website http://hextcg.com/game/champion/ it says that Mercenaries replace your champion and level separately, just faster and more streamlined leveling. So you'd have to level mercs and champions separate from each other.

Thanisse
05-19-2013, 02:13 AM
Actually from the website http://hextcg.com/game/champion/ it says that Mercenaries replace your champion and level separately, just faster and more streamlined leveling. So you'd have to level mercs and champions separate from each other.

yeah , but the mercs seem to have predefined , and kinda OP powers and pasives :P
at least that fungus summoning shroom seems way OP when it happens , even if it's 2 % only chance

Patrigan
05-19-2013, 02:22 AM
I know I'll have a field day levelling my mercenaries ^^

Looking really forward to that!

AstaSyneri
08-20-2014, 01:31 AM
Okay, this is thread necromancy - but what about that arena? It's been fifteen months since this was posted. Is any of this still valid?

ossuary
08-20-2014, 08:47 AM
Yes... it's still called the arena. :)

Frost3
08-21-2014, 12:17 AM
Since this thread has already been necro'ed (Im not sure im saying that right. But meh) I would like to suggest that if a player wins one hundred matches in a row, in the arena, they get to battle a developer in a feast or famine match, winner is hired/gets a raise looser is fired/banned from game.....or mabye just a cool sleeve. >.>

Yoss
08-21-2014, 07:33 AM
100 in a row might not be that hard. We'll have to see how good AI 2.0 actually is.

Lafoote
08-22-2014, 07:26 AM
100 in a row might not be that hard. We'll have to see how good AI 2.0 actually is.

It can't be worse.

DocX
08-22-2014, 10:03 AM

Remember, you're not just fighting the AI, you're also fighting the resource system (which will be less of a battle once Set 2 is out, but not a trivial thing over the course of many iterations).

Aradon
08-22-2014, 03:15 PM
It's very true. Even the best decks'll get resource screwed in 100 matches, and if the Arena is very challenging, you'll lose as a result of at least some of those. It's going to take careful deck construction to go for consistency as well as power.