PDA

View Full Version : Twitch.tv Developer Gameplay (includes mirror-recording download)

Kami
05-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Twitch.tv Developer Gameplay (http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/b/404773267)

Mirror-Recording (File Dropper) (http://www.filedropper.com/2013-05-17175826265)

In case anyone missed it!

Hexmage
05-17-2013, 06:34 PM
After watching it afterwards, I noticed that it was to early for the human deck to be on stream. To many interactions that didn't work properly yet. They maybe should have waited a week or 2 for some more fine tuning on the game systems.

Kami
05-17-2013, 06:43 PM
I think they just wanted to show far they were along even in Pre-Alpha state and also as a publicity stunt.

Besides, it's nice to see that developers are at work. :P

RoyalNightGuard
05-17-2013, 07:00 PM
I think you should be more understanding. This is a game with what, 650 cards with probably hundreds of effects, all of which have to work in combination with each other. That's just a huge amount of stuff to test; it's what betas are for.

caffn8d
05-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Gained ~$130k today... double the average. I think the stream was pretty successful. ;) I'll be interested to see what happens after the next one since the biggest bump seemed to have come from people clamoring for the Pro Player tier, which is now gone.

Dragkin
05-17-2013, 10:27 PM
The stream was a success no matter how you look at it. For pre-alpha, the game seems to run smoothly. Sure it needs some spit and shine, but its running fairly well so far. Huge bump in sales, and the feed had something like 1,300 or so people watching at the time of streaming, so yeah - I think it did well.

So, we've seen gameplay with Diamond, Wild, Blood and Ruby so far. And we've seen Shin'hare, humans and orcs. What would people like to see next? I'd really like to see the Coyotle and the Elves, to be honest. Also, it'd be good to see some example of PvE - though it sounds like the PvE hasn't been fully put together yet.

Grissnap
05-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Dwarves vs. Coyotle would be sweet.

Fireblast
05-18-2013, 02:30 AM
There are not many Coyotle and Elves in this set, they'll be more widely covered in later sets :)

What we didn't see was Sapphire/Blood Dwarf deck, but that has to be controlish/synergistic so might not see it right now to not scare new comers.

~

Hexmage
05-18-2013, 05:20 AM
I think you should be more understanding. This is a game with what, 650 cards with probably hundreds of effects, all of which have to work in combination with each other. That's just a huge amount of stuff to test; it's what betas are for.

Yes but I think the stream would have been a bigger success if they had used decks that were fully functional like the ones they used in the gameplay video. Playing cards that don't function properly (like the one that should have allowed inspire from they 'yard) could have been avoided, seeing as the deck was running fine without it.

Fireblast
05-18-2013, 07:00 AM
Yes but I think the stream would have been a bigger success if they had used decks that were fully functional like the ones they used in the gameplay video. Playing cards that don't function properly (like the one that should have allowed inspire from they 'yard) could have been avoided, seeing as the deck was running fine without it.

You know that if they played a deck that's 100% tested people would have said it was just to show off that it was finished while it's not.

Here they come live with decks that show Controlish-Mid Range vs Aggro and unprecedented mechanics and they have one card whose loop is broken (checked the 1st card of the GY instead of all) and people will complain?

I'd rather have them show me LIVE that the game is good looking and with a couple bugs (which would explain the 3 months delay before Beta)

Sum up:
- If it's flawless then people complain it's rigged
- If it's honest then people complain it's not finished (which is something we knew already)
- Livestream was great

~

caffn8d
05-18-2013, 07:25 AM
I can see it both ways. The fact that they were ballsy enough to try and play with a card without fully regression testing it for the livestream was kinda cool. But seeing it fully armed and operational would have been great too.

Also, many thanks Kami for recording the stream!

OGwawa
05-18-2013, 07:42 AM
I thought that overall the stream was a success (Once the feedback and active screen issues were resolved). While the mechanic of the broken Blessing The Fallen changed the outcome of the game, it was nice to see the state of where the game currently is. The only other two errors I noticed was the text misprint on Ragefire (which still dealt the proper 2 damage) and at one point halfway through the Accept/Pass Priority button was stuck.

I think it would have been interesting to see a second stream from Dans perspective.

Hexmage
05-18-2013, 07:42 AM
I'm not saying that it would have to be perfect, but having cards in your deck that are not doing half the things they are supposed to be doing just seems like a bad decision

They could have properly run the same 2 decks against each other but swapped some cards out for other cards and it would have been a better experience.

Deadpool319
05-18-2013, 08:16 AM
I'm not saying that it would have to be perfect, but having cards in your deck that are not doing half the things they are supposed to be doing just seems like a bad decision

They could have properly run the same 2 decks against each other but swapped some cards out for other cards and it would have been a better experience.

The term pre-Alpha just isn't resonating, huh? They wanted to show off the Inspire mechanic and give people a taste of cards we haven't seen yet and interactions that are maybe under-polished. It worked, pledge numbers skyrocketed once people saw the potential and knew that the little bugs would be fixed.

If you want to be upset at something, be upset that Inspire apparently doesn't use the chain so poor Dan couldn't respond the Legionnaire's triggers... Humans are scary if Inspire is a state-based effect.

Hexmage
05-18-2013, 08:24 AM
I know its pre-alpha I know that not everything works, but they could have shown of mechanics with stuff they actually knew would work. Take out the graveyard effect thing and the Human deck and the deck looks a lot less broken and makes it less annoying for the player who expects his cards to actually function. If they wanted to show off the graveyard inspire trigger card they could have done it as a preview in one of the articles where they don't have to show it work ingame.

Xenavire
05-18-2013, 08:27 AM
From the sounds of it they did ASSUME it worked, and were unpleasantly surprised when it didn't.

It was one card of 60 in one deck, from a full 120, and 2 champs - most of everything worked just fine.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on ONE effect breaking randomly in a pre-alpha build.

theghost32
05-18-2013, 08:37 AM
for it being pre alpha i was suprised how smooth everything went my problem with watching it was how many play mistakes he made now granted I've played mtg for 15 years and wowtcg for 7 but there were many times i was yelling at the screen like no dont do that

Perikles
05-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Is there any chance someone has uploaded the video to YouTube? I would love to watch it but I'm out of town and it won't play on my ipad.

mase1771
05-18-2013, 08:48 AM
for it being pre alpha i was suprised how smooth everything went my problem with watching it was how many play mistakes he made now granted I've played mtg for 15 years and wowtcg for 7 but there were many times i was yelling at the screen like no dont do that

Haha I'm a noob when it comes to TCGs and I also was just shaking my head at how he played the games. Granted in the first game, he really couldn't do anything as the RNG was not his friend.

syphonhail
05-18-2013, 08:51 AM

Anything specific you recall? This could be a good thread to start talking about hex and tcg strategy (make it a new one if you have a list).

Xenavire
05-18-2013, 09:22 AM
I think he played badly at some points (especially with poor trades and forgetting vital things) but remember this is live on a pre-alpha buld and he was pretty distracted. I dont think I could have kept a clear head live streaming in that situation.

I give him an A for effort, and a lot lower score on actual planning, although not everything was his fault.

Fireblast
05-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Thing you missed is that if he had to play bad so inexperienced players could think : oh there's depth in that game since I could have done better plays.

The point of a livestream of pre-alpha is not to play perfectly, play weird cards etc... and lose the watchers :)

~

jtatta
05-18-2013, 09:44 AM
I thought it was pretty funny that every time Ben moused over the top of his deck either in passing or the mouse happened to stop there, the card was "revealed" by the coding in the bottom right. I don't remember the exact minute but it was right before the turn he "baited" Dan into blocking Lord Alexander with a Zombie (not much of a bait since it's an obvious trade). When he hovered over his deck, I noticed Lord Alexander's name in the bottom right of the screen and then he drew it. I thought it was coincidence but it happened a few other times.

Pre-Alpha, I get it. Not even complaining so much as pointing out something that wasn't that noticeable when I watched it the first time.

Xenavire
05-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Thing you missed is that if he had to play bad so inexperienced players could think : oh there's depth in that game since I could have done better plays.

The point of a livestream of pre-alpha is not to play perfectly, play weird cards etc... and lose the watchers :)

~
Actually a fair point. Although it wasn't simple enough for my friend who has no TCG experience at all. He didn't get it that quickly.

Fireblast
05-18-2013, 09:54 AM
I thought it was pretty funny that every time Ben moused over the top of his deck either in passing or the mouse happened to stop there, the card was "revealed" by the coding in the bottom right. I don't remember the exact minute but it was right before the turn he "baited" Dan into blocking Lord Alexander with a Zombie (not much of a bait since it's an obvious trade). When he hovered over his deck, I noticed Lord Alexander's name in the bottom right of the screen and then he drew it. I thought it was coincidence but it happened a few other times.

Pre-Alpha, I get it. Not even complaining so much as pointing out something that wasn't that noticeable when I watched it the first time.

The top and bottom right labels are for debugging, not shocked that it could show top decks.

~

tecnophi
05-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Enjoyed watching the live stream, but it felt a bit too amateurish to me. The gameplay portion didn't include enough content in my opinion.

I would like to offer some suggestions (hopefully it's constructive enough):

Missed opportunity to go over game interface, I'm sure it will change between now and beta and release. I felt like there wasn't enough of a introduction or walkthrough of the gameboard. There was a lot there, and me being completely new to the game I found myself spending time trying to figure out all the visual cues. For example, the symbols in the middle of the board showing the phase that the players are on. (I have a lot more criticism about the current shown interface, but I don't want to bore people)

Lacked explanation of the game's basic rules, the livestream went straight in to gameplay without any primer. To veteran TCG players, it can be figured out, but for newer players it might be tough. An overview of the basic rules like the turn phases, and how to read the symbol information on a card would be great. The little things like how to tell what the required amount of threshold type is needed and what cost can be paid by other threshold types.

Playing the game versus marketing the product (hopefully not in a dirty word way). I felt that Ben Stoll was a little too intend on winning as opposed to making the game accessible to the viewers. This really goes back to the other two points I bought up, but there's a lot more too it. So much of the stream's time was spent on focusing on the game, as opposed to talking about other aspects of the game. Perhaps instead of a solo-cast, but a dual-cast would be for better viewing. Allowing one person to play the game, and another to interact with chat or promote discussion point about Hex.

Anyways, that my 2 cents. Can't wait to see more.

ShaolinRaven
05-18-2013, 12:57 PM
They have a basic play through on their website and kickstarter which goes into the layout a bit more. So that is probably why they didn't do it for the Twitch one. Honestly I saw the Twitch play through as a way to show off some more cards and some of the game play elements without going to in depth. You want to get people to your website and to the kickstarter for the rest of the info on what is going on.

RoyalNightGuard
05-18-2013, 03:29 PM
I lack your experience, but is it possible that some decisions would make more sense if we knew the full game rules and contents of the opponent's deck like the player did?

WaylandX
05-18-2013, 04:16 PM
I thought the stream was great and hope that they have more!