PDA

View Full Version : Spell effects

MMO_Unforgiven
05-18-2013, 09:17 AM
After watching the last stream I noticed there were only a few spells or abilities that had cool visual effects. Now I know this is still pre-alpha and maybe this is something that will be added later, but just in case I want to make sure I voice my opinion on how important this is. I would love to see more visual effects put in. It makes the game feel more alive and exciting. There were many times in the stream where effects would have made understanding what was going on so much easier. I remember when Ben finally was able to play his Legionnaire of Gawaine and the opponents board was pretty much cleared, but there were zero effects. The chat log was immediately filled with people asking, "Woahh what just happened?!" Due to this game being developed for the novice as much as for the veterans I think it's important to make sure cool spell effects are added to give better understanding of what's going on. Well, and also they're just cool as hell anyways! :)

ShaolinRaven
05-18-2013, 09:28 AM
The more spell effects the more intensive the graphics and the longer the wait time is for the effects to play out. So as long as they kept it short and simple it would be fine, I just don't want them to go overboard trying to make it super visually intensive as far as standard play is concerned. I've always felt that is kind of the card art's job, Though for the Legionnaire of Gawaine I could see it adding an attack or target line to the opposing player and all the troops just so you know its hitting everything.

neonovas
05-18-2013, 09:29 AM
I would love to see some animations but with an option to disable them in PvE and either have them auto-disabled in PvP or make it so both players have to agree to see them.

ShaolinRaven
05-18-2013, 09:33 AM
The problem with adding a feature with opt in/opt out is that the more you start stacking the longer it takes to set up a game. Opt in for visual effects, wait for other player to choose, Opt out for VO, wait for other player to choose, Opt in for next optional thing, wait for other player to choose, choose deck, wait for other player to choose... It starts getting a bit crowded with all the features everyone wants, but wants to be optional.

Even if you can just default your choices that's a lot of choices to click through when making an account, or a lot of features to search through when you decide to change one or two of them and turn them on or off for pve/pvp.

MMO_Unforgiven
05-18-2013, 09:47 AM
I agree opting is a bad idea. Here's the thing though if the effects are unique and cool it would be fun to see them. Sure your overall game will be a minute or two longer, but it will also be that much more fun and interesting. Most people aren't trying to just speed through their matches. They want to enjoy them!

ShaolinRaven
05-18-2013, 09:53 AM
As long as the effects are quick and something simple that adds a visual flair that also helps track what is going on or what is being targeted I don't have a problem with them, just don't make them long and don't make them high graphics.

Xenavire
05-18-2013, 09:54 AM
As long as the effects are quick and something simple that adds a visual flair that also helps track what is going on or what is being targeted I don't have a problem with them, just don't make them long and don't make them high graphics.

This. Duels of planewalkers had some thigns perfect, some WAY over the top.

I did not enjoy the over the top things.

ShaolinRaven
05-18-2013, 09:59 AM
This. Duels of planewalkers had some thigns perfect, some WAY over the top.

I did not enjoy the over the top things.

Yeah that is why I get concerned with spell effect additions, it is that urge to go over the top and make it super flashy and pretty, and sometimes the designer just don't know when to pull back. For visual effects there are plenty of games out there in the digital scene both good and bad uses that Crypto can look at and learn from.

MMO_Unforgiven
05-18-2013, 11:48 AM
WOW!! They sure addressed this one fast!! Go Crypto! New stretch goal for 790K is to add more sounds and particle effects to more cards. WOOT!