PDA

View Full Version : Timed Priority?

Shrennan
05-18-2013, 10:20 AM
After watching the gameplay stream, I was thinking whether or not there should be a timed window of priority. It doesn't have to be super quick (it could be a 30 second timer, for instance) but that way it prevents people from just wasting away time (also, I did notice that there's a total 30 minutes for each player to mess around with, but that time is shared).

Also, I think the game should either detect if there are no possible moves left and just pass the turn to the opponent or the game should give the option to pass the turn (skipping all priority). I think the latter (option to pass turn) is better than the former (with the game detecting it) because I think it should be a conscious decision by the player to pass the turn.

Ashenor
05-18-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't like autopass, sometimes you use time as a tactic or bluff. Similar to when he held his resource in his hand so he was not empty handed.

You have to keep them guessing :).

Shrennan
05-18-2013, 10:24 AM
I don't like autopass, sometimes you use time as a tactic or bluff. Similar to when he held his resource in his hand so he was not empty handed.

You have to keep them guessing :).

I mean, nothing would stop you from doing that. I just think there should be features that allow it (and also give the option for mistakes to be made). You don't want the game so automated that mistakes are rare for either player to make either.

Also, timed priority wouldn't include the obvious like timed out connections. It should still give a player 5 or so minutes to reconnect to the game (without taking time away).

ShaolinRaven
Yeah I don't like auto pass cause there is that bluffing side of the game. But I wouldn't mind a pass timer if it was reasonable to account for lag and what not.

Fireblast
Also, I think the game should either detect if there are no possible moves left and just pass the turn to the opponent or the game should give the option to pass the turn (skipping all priority). I think the latter (option to pass turn) is better than the former (with the game detecting it) because I think it should be a conscious decision by the player to pass the turn.

I think on Online Poker the computer should auto-fold you when it knows you don't have the best hand (after the river), would be easier, right?

~

Deadpool319
05-18-2013, 10:30 AM
I think on Online Poker the computer should auto-fold you when it knows you don't have the best hand (after the river), would be easier, right?

~

Made me laugh out loud. thanks for that. :)

Xenavire
05-18-2013, 10:34 AM
I hated Duels of the planeswalkers for having a too short priority window - you look away from the screen for 2 seconds (and you will, it is so F-word slow) you miss an important card, and you feel the pain bigtime.

So if they make it timed, make it at least 10 secs. Not abusable, and let them choose to add time by pressing a button - a real life game you would assume after a few seconds that the opponent doesn't want to play something, but if they ask for time, you give it.

It should be as simple as that.

Fireblast
05-18-2013, 10:39 AM
If someone wanna spend their 30 minutes on the first priority window of the game it's its right

~

Clawdius
05-18-2013, 10:41 AM
the problem with timed in my experience from MTG: DOTPW is that the game glitches out rarely and completely screws you. It may not happen terribly often, but when it does it's insanely frustrating to know you should have been able to do something and the game decided that because your internet sucks you deserve to lose.

Xenavire
05-18-2013, 10:46 AM
30 mins would be an instant loss though, right? (Just trying to make sure I get your point Fireblast.)

Kagim
05-18-2013, 10:48 AM
I can see maybe like... a five-ten minute timer, just in case someone decides to be a baby and just walks away from the computer. At least then you'll be able to do something. So your not stuck staring at an unmoving screen for twenty minutes because you murdered his heavy hitter.

ShaolinRaven
05-18-2013, 10:48 AM
I think if you run your clock completely out it should be a loss even if you are winning on health, just to keep people from gaining a lead and sitting on the clock.

Kagim
05-18-2013, 10:50 AM
I think if you run your clock completely out it should be a loss even if you are winning on health, just to keep people from gaining a lead and sitting on the clock.

Hmm, I can see people just sitting on the clock till the last fifteen seconds before passing the turn over to the other player to kill them.

We might have to accept that a draw is the only real way to fairly end that.

Fireblast
05-18-2013, 10:51 AM
30 mins would be an instant loss though, right? (Just trying to make sure I get your point Fireblast.)

Yes :)

There will be an AFK timer that makes someone lose after X minutes.
There will be a disconnect timer that makes someone lose after Y minutes.

~

Xenavire
05-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Each player has a seperate clock - someone wasting their own time gains nothing. And I think it is persistant - 30minute time over the WHOLE game, not just the turn.

Fireblast
05-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Each player has a seperate clock - someone wasting their own time gains nothing. And I think it is persistant - 30minute time over the WHOLE game, not just the turn.

30 minutes per match, you're right.
That's why the guy can suicide if he wants to.
Like someone can rare draft if he wants to.

~

Xenavire
05-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Per match? I thought per single game. Per match is far more strict - I think there might be complaints from control players who tend to stall things out.

For drafts it fits fine though, those are usually 5/10 mins a piece.

ShaolinRaven
05-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Xenavire I believe per match was referring to a single game. Both can be used in reference for a single duel. For a best out of 3 match you should have 30 mins of clock time for each individual game.

Fireblast
05-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Xenavire I believe per match was referring to a single game. Both can be used in reference for a single duel. For a best out of 3 match you should have 30 mins of clock time for each individual game.

Tournament matches last about 1 hour, 30 minutes for each players + sideboarding time

~

Xenavire
05-18-2013, 11:59 AM
I can still see that being a little tough on certain control decks, but for the most part I guess it won't be an issue.
At least they have something set in stone already, I would hate to be left wondering.

ShaolinRaven
05-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Tournament matches last about 1 hour, 30 minutes for each players + sideboarding time
~

Oops forgot to account for sideboarding time, but I was mainly referring to the actual clock time being a single instance once the game started. Correcting the idea that you only had 30 mins max for a multi game/match tourney.

Xenavire
05-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Oops forgot to account for sideboarding time, but I was mainly referring to the actual clock time being a single instance once the game started. Correcting the idea that you only had 30 mins max for a multi game/match tourney.

I am getting a bit confused here. I just want to be super clear here, best of 3 game, does the clock reset after each game, giving 30 mins per individual game, or is it a shared clock?

That's the only thing I am confused about here.

ShaolinRaven
05-18-2013, 12:08 PM
It should be per individual game and it resets back to 30 mins for the next game.

Xenavire
05-18-2013, 12:11 PM
It should be per individual game and it resets back to 30 mins for the next game.

That is what I am hoping for.

Shrennan
05-18-2013, 01:25 PM

~

...That's why I said it would be better if it was an optional button that would have the potential to save time, and make mistakes easier to make because the player could lack the foresight to see a possible move. Just like a real card game.