PDA

View Full Version : Digital TCG "Foil" cards?

Qorsair
05-18-2013, 03:37 PM
I'd like to propose a reimagining of what a "Foil" card is, and could be in a dTCG.

In the traditional TCG, a foil card is something that you look at and say, "Wow, that looks cool."
In all the dTCGs I've seen foil cards in, it's something that I look at and say, "Wow, that's really distracting and annoying, where do I turn it off?" (Forgive me if Hex already has a different idea of foil, I haven't seen a Hex foil yet).

Basically, in other dTCGs I have had no interest in the foil graphics effect they apply to the card and I know many friends who feel the same.

Why not utilize the digital nature of the game to make the "foil" cards more than just a distracting rainbow?
You could easily give the foil cards animated artwork (only when zoomed in for the detail view, I wouldn't want every card to be moving when I'm looking at the board) and I think they would appeal to a larger segment of the player base.

They don't even need complex animations. For a human warrior, you could give him a breathing animation, and put in a random delay to shift to an animation where he's moving his head a little bit, and cycle back to breathing. Or if you've got a shifty goblin, have him crouched, peering at something hidden cupped in his hands, then occasionally toss a wary glance towards the camera. Heck, even foil resources with sparkling Sapphires, or dripping Blood.

Obviously, when I say this can be done easily, I mean the technical side should be easy. Clearly this would require significantly more work from the artists, and might only be suitable for one of the higher tier stretch goals or something down the road.

TheBlueMagician
05-18-2013, 03:40 PM
I think that idea of animated artwork is really cool, though I would also be happy if it just periodically had a shimmer on/around the card. I was kind of wondering how they planned on implementing that, since you can't exactly pick up the card and move it so the light hits it differently.

CoolGrayAJ
05-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Transformers Legends for iOS has a really unique way of showing off rare cards in that they give the artwork some depth when you view it at different angles.

Qorsair
05-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Transformers Legends for iOS has a really unique way of showing off rare cards in that they give the artwork some depth when you view it at different angles.

I like that idea a lot too, and it would require significantly less effort from the art team (and only slightly more work by the programmers implementing the feature). You could do it with just a few layers of art, shifting them based on angle of card and a depth value for each layer.

lordskwid
05-18-2013, 03:56 PM
I could get on board with a new revision of a 'digital foil' card.

Barov
05-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Personally even in real world TCG I have always preferred extended art cards over foil cards.

bladedragonfire
05-18-2013, 05:52 PM
I really like the animated art idea, kinda like the LoL client opening screen, they animate the characters splash art, looks fantastic.

My own two cents on the matter, perhaps have say the border of the card animate instead of a multicolory shimmery effect, you know a light flame effect for ruby, leaves or vines growing or something for wild, waves or lightning for sapphire, angelic aura for diamond, tendrils of blood and darkness for blood, artifacts... well ionno on them :P, something not overly distracting but is still a subtle effect that gives it a "pop" factor.

mauvebutterfly
05-18-2013, 06:11 PM
My current understanding is that foil cards get an expanded piece of artwork. Having followed artists who've done work on TCG's in the past, I've noticed that they often have a bigger picture made, and only a portion of that picture actually appears on the card. Unlocking the full art on a card lets you fully appreciate the artist's work, which I think is a cool bonus.

I'm in agreement that I don't want anything distracting on foil cards. If I'm playing against an opponent with a deck full of shiny animated cards, it's just going to annoy me after a while. I have no problem with there being an unobtrusive notification somewhere on the card though, and it would be cool if you could see the full art of cards that your opponent has unlocked. Gives people "bragging rights."

It's probably been mentioned elsewhere, but it would also be cool to have an art gallery, where you can look at all the full artwork that you've unlocked by leveling up your cards.

ShaolinRaven
05-18-2013, 06:48 PM
My current understanding is that foil cards get an expanded piece of artwork. Having followed artists who've done work on TCG's in the past, I've noticed that they often have a bigger picture made, and only a portion of that picture actually appears on the card. Unlocking the full art on a card lets you fully appreciate the artist's work, which I think is a cool bonus.

I'm in agreement that I don't want anything distracting on foil cards. If I'm playing against an opponent with a deck full of shiny animated cards, it's just going to annoy me after a while. I have no problem with there being an unobtrusive notification somewhere on the card though, and it would be cool if you could see the full art of cards that your opponent has unlocked. Gives people "bragging rights."

It's probably been mentioned elsewhere, but it would also be cool to have an art gallery, where you can look at all the full artwork that you've unlocked by leveling up your cards.

Foil and Alternate art achievements are actually separate. To get the foil version you just have to raise its xp bar on the double back by using it. To gain the Alternate art you have to complete the card achievements on the double back.

Perikles
05-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Great idea. Digital foils always have seemed silly to me too

CoolGrayAJ
05-18-2013, 07:51 PM
EAs >

Just saying.

Facilier
05-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Also think that full-card art would be sweet: Magic already does that, essentially relying on some cards being so very popular that everyone knows what it does without the text, but in a digital format we could have the rules appear next to the card when you examine it, or whatever, while on the battlefield itself it would have the full amazing art.

BossHoss
05-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Also think that full-card art would be sweet: Magic already does that, essentially relying on some cards being so very popular that everyone knows what it does without the text, but in a digital format we could have the rules appear next to the card when you examine it, or whatever, while on the battlefield itself it would have the full amazing art.

Each card features three achievements. Unlock these achievements and your card transforms into an “extended art” version, where the image fills the entire frame and may even reveal new areas of the artwork that further tells the story of that card.
Achievements range from dealing damage to a particular creature to executing difficult combos. The achievement system is fun way to inspire deck creation and allows you extra replay mileage out of the cards in your collection.

MrSeriousBsns
05-18-2013, 09:56 PM
If they don't want to do full animations, something like what Warframe did with their "mods" (which look like cards) could be a good halfway option. Here is an example - 12 seconds in on this video when he hovers over the "Sprint" mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HizTIH_NhDA

The camera on the cards just pans up or down a little (or left and right or diagonal, depending on the mod) which gives it almost a little 3D effect. I think it looks pretty slick and turns the presentation of a normal 2D card into something eye catching.

alpha5099
05-18-2013, 11:34 PM
My own two cents on the matter, perhaps have say the border of the card animate instead of a multicolory shimmery effect, you know a light flame effect for ruby, leaves or vines growing or something for wild, waves or lightning for sapphire, angelic aura for diamond, tendrils of blood and darkness for blood, artifacts... well ionno on them :P, something not overly distracting but is still a subtle effect that gives it a "pop" factor.

This is my favorite suggestion here. Obviously you don't want to go overboard with this, a Ruby card can't very well be engulfed in flame, but some nice, subtle particle effects around the edges of the card (along with the lovely extended art we can unlock through achievements) could really make it clear how special a card is.

Cailin_Coilleach
05-19-2013, 02:48 AM
My current understanding is that foil cards get an expanded piece of artwork. Having followed artists who've done work on TCG's in the past, I've noticed that they often have a bigger picture made, and only a portion of that picture actually appears on the card.

"Shadow Era" does this as well. Foil = edge-to-edge artwork, with a bit of a shimmer overlaid.

Example, with some annoying music in the background (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_1DwB88T8)

Qorsair
05-19-2013, 07:15 AM
"Shadow Era" does this as well. Foil = edge-to-edge artwork, with a bit of a shimmer overlaid.

Example, with some annoying music in the background (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_1DwB88T8)

That video shows the kind of rainbow effects that I find a bit distracting in digital form, and not as visually appealing as the original.
However, I do like the edge-to-edge artwork.

CoolGrayAJ
05-19-2013, 07:55 AM
WoW TCG has been doing Extended Art cards for a very long time now, and it's by far one of my favorite things about the game. CZE has done a great job carrying this over since taking over the game. Here are a few great examples:

https://www.ccgcastle.com/img/item/image/yserathedreamereaa.jpg

http://www.ccgcastle.com/img/item/image/garroshEA.jpg

http://www.ccgcastle.com/img/item/image/Bromor_Sketch.jpg

WWKnight
05-19-2013, 08:59 AM
For animated cards, you should check out Infinity Wars! Every card is animated!

Cornholio666
05-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Foil and Alternate art achievements are actually separate. To get the foil version you just have to raise its xp bar on the double back by using it. To gain the Alternate art you have to complete the card achievements on the double back.

I do not think extended art and alternate art mean the same thing in this game. Completing the achivements unlocks the extended art, alternate art cards have an entirely different picture altogether.

Qorsair
05-19-2013, 02:00 PM
I do not think extended art and alternate art mean the same thing in this game. Completing the achivements unlocks the extended art, alternate art cards have an entirely different picture altogether.

And then there's also the foil version, which is unlocked after you max out the experience bar for the card.
This is different from both the alternate art and extended art.