PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Pro Player

Madican
05-18-2013, 04:27 PM
And I feel like I'm holding up some sort of costume while hoping no one looks close enough to realize I'm actually a complete newbie to TCG's in general. I mean yeah I played Pokemon and YGO as a kid, but never beyond trading with some friends and playing with my brother. Maybe some of the video games too. But Friday Night tournaments at the game shop? Buying booster boxes? Minmaxing a deck on mechanics instead of the "I LIEK CHARZERD" mentality? Never done any of that. I'd like to though.

So, anyone else pledge to the Pro Player tier without actually being one?

neonovas
05-18-2013, 04:31 PM
You actually have more experience at TCG than I do (only pokemon vs my brother and the GBC game) and a bit of munchkins in college. Always been interested but i live in a small town so the online format makes it for me.

BlindMan
05-18-2013, 04:34 PM
I played a good amount of MTG over the years, but always casually. I played some MTGO, but I think I have done maybe a couple drafts ever. I actually went Pro tier as a way to get better at drafting.

Fireblast
05-18-2013, 04:35 PM
To me a Pro Player is a player that lives from his winnings.
There are a very few around the world, and none in HEX since we all just spent money.

Pro Player Tier = Smart Backer who went for lifelong draft fun.

Congrats

~

RECHiD
05-18-2013, 04:41 PM
I have plenty of experience playing Magic, but I'm certainly no Pro. The tier was created for those who think drafting will be fun, the name is just a name.

If it makes you feel better, I doubt many of the "King Tier" supporters are actual Kings ;D

Ashenor
05-18-2013, 04:43 PM
I actually am a Dragon.

Madican
05-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Heh, well I was mostly referring to the people who doubled or tripled up on PP tiers with Grand Kings. Basically the ones who intend to throw themselves seriously into the PvP part of this game and win tournaments.

I did just pick it for the fact that drafting interests me and I'd like if I didn't lose $7 a week doing so. I get better at the game without having to continuously pay for it.

Showsni
05-18-2013, 04:44 PM
I wish I could actually play any TCG professionally... I used to Draft and FNM weekly, but I've been kind of out of the loop on Magic for a few years now. I've been playing a fair bit of Pokémon TCGO, which is pretty fun; but again, not something I think I'd be able to do profesionally. I did go to the Pokémon Worlds in Hawaii last year, though; but that was for the computer game rather than the card game. (Still got the exclusive Worlds card, Tropical Beach, though, which was nice!)

Ashenor
05-18-2013, 05:07 PM
I like most probably did it, because we believe we will be playing this game for years. New sets every 4 months, and they said they have the first 2 blocks planned out already.

It's something that just pays us back more and more as time goes on.

Storm_Fireblade
05-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Heh, well I was mostly referring to the people who doubled or tripled up on PP tiers with Grand Kings. Basically the ones who intend to throw themselves seriously into the PvP part of this game and win tournaments.

I did just pick it for the fact that drafting interests me and I'd like if I didn't lose $7 a week doing so. I get better at the game without having to continuously pay for it.

I pledged for three Pro Player Tiers and I did so without any hesitation after analyzing the available tiers more closely. Why? Because I am planning to play this game for a long time. I love TCGs, especially Magic. But the lack of time travelling around, people to play as well as discuss with and money to keep up with blocked me from ever reaching anywhere near my hopefully potentially skill-level.

I played other games from other genres competitively, but with Hex and the digital nature I felt two of my main problems regarding TCGs (travel and lack of players) were gone and while MTGO provides that, Hex also lowers the amount a booster costs and provides, via Kickstarter, amazing start-off rewards. So jumping the train this early with 3 Pro Player Tiers now allows me to enjoy this game for a very long time with, card and money wise, an incredible solid foundation.

Sure, I will continue to support this amazing project financially (VIP subscription and additional boosters as set 2 and more come out), but those kickstarter rewards really gave me the boost I needed to feel like having a chance to enjoy a TCG like I was hoping for for years.

Now it is time to check out how much TCG Pro there is hidden inside myself. And if its going to stay at a mediocre level (I'll try everything to avoid that of course :) ) those free drafts still provide my collector genes and my love of drafts with so much to do, that I cannot regret getting these three tiers ever :)

Fireblast
05-18-2013, 05:24 PM
I actually am a Dragon.

I interpreted it as someone taming Dragons

~

Fireblast
05-18-2013, 05:25 PM
I pledged for three Pro Player Tiers

I'd go GK + 2 PP for 4 of each cards and PvE bonuses and as many drafts.
That's if you think you'll ever PvE and have the $250 :)

~

Ashenor
05-18-2013, 05:27 PM
I interpreted it as someone taming Dragons

~

I did too, but anyone can do that. Not everyone can actually be a Dragon :).

Parallax
05-18-2013, 05:55 PM
I did too, but anyone can do that.

Quentyn Martell. : (

ShaolinRaven
05-18-2013, 06:19 PM
I did too, but anyone can do that. Not everyone can actually be a Dragon :).

So if you're a dragon, and anyone can tame a dragon, does that mean your easily tamed?? Some dragon you are Ashenor :D

MugenMusou
05-18-2013, 07:55 PM
I have played several TCG on and off at casual pace since 6 years ago. Never even played a single draft yet I pledged for Pro Tier.

Ghii_Zhar
05-18-2013, 09:29 PM
I have only played a wee bit of MTG: DotP on Xbox, PC and iPad, yet I talked myself into Grand King.

Been playing MMORPGs since UO 15 years ago. Went from UO to SWG, then EQ, Wow, Warhammer, LOTRO, SWTOR.

Also played a bit of Wizard 101 with the grandkids for a while - it was actually quite fun. It is a turn based strategy game which actually led me to play MTG Planeswalker.

After so many MMOs, I'm ready for something different.

(note I also pledged "Knight" on the Shroud of the Avatar KS, so I haven't decided to quit MMO type games altogether. SotA isn't really an MMO, but it has some multiplayer elements)

Ludroth
05-18-2013, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't worry. It's one of those things which is really easy to learn, but has a high ceiling for improvement.