PDA

View Full Version : So I just did the math

YouMustChoose
05-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Right now the KS numbers sit at $790,906 and 5,671 backers. I thought that sounded a little crazy so I averaged it. The average KS backer is spending $139.46. This has got to be one of the craziest things I've ever seen in video game sales, ever.

Xenavire
05-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Considering the amount of boosters they get, I think it is just paying it now rather than later.

TCG's always cost the most.

Fireblast
05-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Other video games are pay $40 now or $60 later.

This is the same here, except they offer so much straters/boosters/exclusive/drafts/... that it's pay $250 now or $1K later :)

~

YouMustChoose
05-18-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm not saying its a bad deal or we should stop (I have a pro pack). I'm just saying that this is more than the equivalent of two brand new games. If 2k announce they were gonna price bioshock infinite at 120 bucks, I would cry, but I'd say hell no. And I love my bioshock. So for a free to play game these numbers are insane.

Qorsair
05-18-2013, 05:17 PM
For people who like numbers & statistics and don't want to waste the time figuring it out on their own, here's a handy site:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/#chart-daily

It has the amount pledged per day, amount per backer, trending amount, and other statistics.
For the past week I've had that page along with the Kickstarter and the Hex forums on a constant refresh.

BlindMan
05-18-2013, 05:21 PM
For the past week I've had that page along with the Kickstarter and the Hex forums on a constant refresh.

Me too. I think it's one of the symptoms.

IndigoShade
05-18-2013, 05:22 PM
I skipped right past symptoms. That's bad isn't it?

BlindMan
05-18-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm going to say no, but I am pledged pro tier, so I might be infected.

Nari
05-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Not particularly surprising. Kickstarter projects in general seem to warrant high spending because they almost always include something exclusive to the month of the fund raising. On top of that, the value is pretty great.

Storm_Fireblade
05-18-2013, 05:58 PM
If 2k announce they were gonna price bioshock infinite at 120 bucks, I would cry, but I'd say hell no. And I love my bioshock. So for a free to play game these numbers are insane.

Except, that for 120 bucks you get a lot more value than just the game from your kickstarter pledge, so don't forget that :)

DanTheMeek
05-18-2013, 06:00 PM
I find it more then a little crazy that despite currently being set up to donate 120, I'm currently donating less then the average donator for a kickstarter that has over 5k donators...

As for why the numbers are so high? I think in general card games use a dangerous pricing structure that encourages massive spending. For a lot of people they justify the absurd over spending on theoretical resale value of their cards (a very risky proposition considering to my knowledge we still have no official word on their stance on selling cards for real life money). Assuming you do eventually quit the game and sell your collection (and can sell it) if you get most of what you spent back, you can end up having having considerably smaller net losses, or if your really shrewd, even net gains.

For others, its they're financial situation. They either live with their parents and thus have little to no bills to pay and maybe don't' even have jobs so money isn't all that valuable to them, or they do work but are part of the small but still very real portion of society who are well off enough to have enough excess funds that money is of no consequence to them when it comes to their hobbies.

Overall though, I think the biggest thing is that most online card game players are also (or were) real life card game players, which are historically extremely expensive hobbies, so they are used to, even expecting, to spend upwards of 100 dollars just to be competitive and have the cards to play the game at a competitive level. The fact that these prices are absurd for a video game or a computer game doesn't factor in to their decision making.

Me personally, my financial sitaution is better then most, and I have played traditional card games before so I'm used to the high prices, but I started by backing for only 50, which was still more then I've ever backed for any kickstarter by a large margin. I donated that much, however, as this sounded like the sort of game I've been begging other companies to make for years unsuccessfully, so it was something I'd want to support even if I didn't get anything. I upped my support to 120 after I learned more because, in my mind, 650+ cards, a fully developed single player game, and fully developed online PvP competitive game, that all sounded to me like at least a 2 game value, and while I still would have preferred to only donate 90-100, my desire to see a game like this succeed allowed me to justify the extra 20-30 dollars as my true "donation", the rest being the cost of two games.

And that can't be ignored either, I can't be the only one who is probably spending more then they normally would just because this is the game they've been asking companies to make or evolve their games into for years and they just want to support the game, regardless of backer rewards, to not only be a part of this dream game, but see it succeed.

Jaydawg6958
05-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Alot of huge multiplayer games now a days like Gears of War, Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc cost $60 up front, then a season pass for $30-40 which offer maps which extend gameplay, so $120 isn't far off. I play console games alot, I buy 2-3 a month and value is a huge thing now a days. MMO's offer the biggest value - like WoW you maybe pay 12 cents an hour if you are hardcore, if you get $2 per hour of entertainment for a majority of $60 PS3/XBOX games you're lucky.

Kagim
05-18-2013, 06:12 PM
I'm just going King because its 2k bloody cards.

I have no interest in selling them, and I am married and living with my wife.

Honestly though, i would have gone pro tier if We hadn't recently got slammed with a few unexpected expenses.

I'm pledging king just because I love TCG games, but where I live i have no opportunities to play them. That and, honestly with the exception of the last two months, 120 is peanuts, not because I am rich (I work fast food) but because I have no babies, and pretzel legs(my cat) doesn't normally require a lot of money... Normally...

As well.. man... I buy every special edition game that I have interest in. 120 for a game isn't terribly abnormal for me. Besides, As long as I play it for more then twenty hours it will leave any average two games these days in the dust for play time...

jai151
05-18-2013, 06:13 PM
And that can't be ignored either, I can't be the only one who is probably spending more then they normally would just because this is the game they've been asking companies to make or evolve their games into for years and they just want to support the game, regardless of backer rewards, to not only be a part of this dream game, but see it succeed.

I think you hit on the driving force behind most of us here. We bought into the vision, now we want to make sure we see it happen.

ShaolinRaven
05-18-2013, 06:15 PM
I think a part of the higher end tiers being so heavily backed is that your pretty much getting your money back + in booster packs and then for anything with the pro tier you're getting a free draft. So if you know your going to buy boosters or draft some games anyway, why not get in a bit higher and buy some of that up front.

Farce
05-18-2013, 06:35 PM
I pledged a lot of money because I want to either not play the game at all or be able to play the game without continually paying more than maybe a dollar or two a week for the content that I enjoy. I haven't decided yet if I want to pay a substantial lump sum to pay the game (or if I want to unpledge), but I know that if I play without the pro benefit and continue to want to play the game, the stress of constantly wondering when I should stop and the stress of always having to pay $4-7 to draft or $9 on the ah for 4 sets of a new rare that's mandatory in a constructed deck I build would make me hate the game.

Cailin_Coilleach
05-19-2013, 02:51 AM
Right now the KS numbers sit at $790,906 and 5,671 backers. I thought that sounded a little crazy so I averaged it. The average KS backer is spending $139.46. This has got to be one of the craziest things I've ever seen in video game sales, ever.

Nah. It's on par with the OUYA Kickstarter, where ~64k people contributed an average of $135 to garner 8.6 MILLION dollars.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

It's also on par with the Pebble Kickstarter, where 69k people brought in 10.3 million dollars at $148 average.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android

Meaning that this particular Kickstart is not over-the-top crazy, but that it's certainly in good company of highly successful projects.

Thanisse
05-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Nah. It's on par with the OUYA Kickstarter, where ~64k people contributed an average of $135 to garner 8.6 MILLION dollars.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

It's also on par with the Pebble Kickstarter, where 69k people brought in 10.3 million dollars at $148 average.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android

Meaning that this particular Kickstart is not over-the-top crazy, but that it's certainly in good company of highly successful projects.

nice ... didn't know a watch would get so much support xD ... lol
10 million is huge xD .

hope this kickstarter makes it well into 1.5-2 milion honestly :)

Cailin_Coilleach
05-19-2013, 07:36 AM
To be honest though, the Pebble is much more than a mere watch. It's one of the first truly interesting 'smart watches'. There have been smart watches before, some with good features, but Pebble drew much attention being a Kickstarter project.

Xenavire
05-19-2013, 07:37 AM
To be fair, TCG is a niche market (a pretty freaking large niche, but a niche all the same). MMO is somewhat in the same boat, although much wider spread overall - the fact this kickstart is SO high already is simply astounding from what you could only call a niche game - while OUYA in particular is less likely to be a niche market (if designed properly and marketed properly).

Pebble has me confused, I can't imagine wanting a watch like that, I would think that would be a niche too, but it earned huge amounts. Colour me shocked, and it is the exception that proves the rule of niches I guess hahaha.

Just my take on it, I am very impressed with Hex right now. Especially the average, it just shows how rabid the players sitting in the niche are!

neonovas
05-19-2013, 08:00 AM
I think a big difference between pebble/ouya and HEX is if you backed those to "buy" the item then you were looking at spending $100 and up so the $135+ average is not a surprise. For HEX there are a lot more low cost options in the $20, $35, $50 range that are popular but the average is being raised by people at the $250+ tier. That is what made it so surprising to me. Take another popular video game off kickstarter like Project Eternity that had 74k backers (slightly more than those other two) but the average was only $54 because half the backers just bought the game ($20/$25) and none of the "extras" like people on HEX are doing. I guess thats because it is a TCG and the "extras" have an extra and known value, so its worth while to pay another $15-$35 for the next tier when you see you are getting 2-3x that amount back in cards thinking you'd spend it anyway.

Cailin_Coilleach
05-19-2013, 09:35 AM
You make a very good point!

Yeah, I agree with you that Hex's case is in fact different and indeed at least a tad more impressive :)

BlackRoger
05-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Personally I don't know about all this "much more value"
If they give you 150 boosters which cost them 0$ to make and tell you its a 300$ value, does that make them valuable?

Personally I'm sad there is no serious TCG in the DOTP format - pay once for every set and get a few cards per win or something like that.
It seems more fair then to charge money for virtual boosters.

Then again since I could not find such a thing I guess I will have to settle down for the pro life-time once a week draft.
If I wouldn't have had it not sure I would have invested in this game.

BlindMan
05-19-2013, 10:18 AM
For some people, the TCG model of paying for packs is a turn-off, because you end up paying money in on a regular basis. I would argue, however, that far more people actually enjoy the card pack format, because of the randomness and the excitement of opening cards.

When you start talking about paying per set and getting all the cards, I actually saw a discussion on these forums where people said they didn't want to pledge tiers that came with all of the cards, because it took the excitement out of collecting and winning new cards.

Here's the link if you are interested: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23554

Edit: Reading your post again, it's unclear if you meant "pay once per set and get all the cards" or just "pay once per set" with some other method of getting new cards. Hopefully my post is relevant either way.

Cato
05-19-2013, 12:16 PM
When you start talking about paying per set and getting all the cards, I actually saw a discussion on these forums where people said they didn't want to pledge tiers that came with all of the cards, because it took the excitement out of collecting and winning new cards.

One of the reasons I'm holding off the GK Tier... I'm not sure if having all those bonuses (extra EXP, more loot, 20 rare equips off the bat) will actually detract from the game experience by making it too easy.

Jaydawg6958
05-19-2013, 12:36 PM
One of the reasons I'm holding off the GK Tier... I'm not sure if having all those bonuses (extra EXP, more loot, 20 rare equips off the bat) will actually detract from the game experience by making it too easy.

If it's like any other MMO the real game doesn't even begin until max level, that's the way it is to me anyway. I had no problem tossing on every piece of legacy gear to give my alts +exp boost, I didn't not learn that class because I was leveling too fast or missing something.

BlindMan
05-19-2013, 12:39 PM
As much as I used heirloom gear in WoW, there was always something satisfying about making a character without it and actually NEEDING the items that dropped.

Jaydawg6958
05-19-2013, 12:42 PM

Fireblast
05-19-2013, 12:50 PM
As much as I used heirloom gear in WoW, there was always something satisfying about making a character without it and actually NEEDING the items that dropped.

Everyone finds interest in different places.

The bonuses can be toggled off so everyone's happy.

~