PDA

View Full Version : A plea to Cryto with regards to PvE

Garod
05-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Dear Crypto team,

We've seen quite a bit on the PvP side and hope that soon you can show us a little more on the PvE side.
I really hope you grab this opportunity to innovate the TCG as well as MMO space and show us something completely new.

Please don't rehash things which have already been done, or simply give us a map with locations with a card battle behind the locations or a clone of any of the F2P MMO's out there.

You have this opportunity and judging from the KS you will end up at 1-2mil so you have the budget. So please make something unique. Give us freedom in the world, give us options to express individuality through character design options, give us a world we can immerse ourselves into and allow for RP, give us people to talk to and places to visit. Give us stories and lore which can be built upon in the future.

Regards,
G.

Talreth
05-19-2013, 11:45 AM
I feel like this letter was necessary because there's a good chance the design team went into this game thinking "let's rehash a bunch of old stuff and clone a bunch of mmo's for the pve content, who even gives a fuck about the story because this game is just a money project til we come out with our next tabletop board game."

Fireblast
05-19-2013, 11:47 AM
They have a writer dedicated to the lore, how are they not taking that side seriously?
They designed 1800 equipments, 300 specific cards and quests/towns/dungeons/raids.

Read the information available to you on hextcg.com and kickstarter before complaining.

~

Lazybum
05-19-2013, 12:03 PM
just wish there was a video of some pve content

Fireblast
05-19-2013, 12:06 PM
just wish there was a video of some pve content

They don't have much PvE content, they said there will only be the Arena during Beta.

~

Garod
05-19-2013, 01:18 PM
They have a writer dedicated to the lore, how are they not taking that side seriously?
They designed 1800 equipments, 300 specific cards and quests/towns/dungeons/raids.

Read the information available to you on hextcg.com and kickstarter before complaining.

~
I don't think anyone said they aren't taking it seriously, also it was never the question that they don't have a fun idea with the world.

It's much more the question: "What are they going to do with it?"
This is a huge opportunity and the team realize this.
All we are saying is to please note create simple minded quests like fetch this or kill that but really create an interesting story within the PvE world and tie the quests into that story line.

It's really time to shake up TCG's since it's mostly always the same or a similar formula.
We are asking them to be innovative with the PvE MMO part and let their creativity run wild to bring us something we've never seen before.

Erebus
05-19-2013, 01:38 PM
It's really too late for them to change much, the game is gonna be in beta in less then 4 months and released in less then a year.

Whatever they've decided will have to do, and you'll have to decide if it's good enough.

Gregzilla
05-19-2013, 02:43 PM
They don't have much PvE content, they said there will only be the Arena during Beta.

~

WHAT?!? What aboot Kraken's Gold and all those other dungeon's they've mentioned? :(

Xenavire
05-19-2013, 02:45 PM
The arena is the only one they had said will be there when beta STARTS, as for the rest, we have no confirmation either way. They will be in the full release at least.

jai151
05-19-2013, 02:45 PM
WHAT?!? What aboot Kraken's Gold and all those other dungeon's they've mentioned? :(

When beta launches, they will only have the arena. When the game launches, they will have everything. Chances are, during beta some others will be released, but that's just my gut feeling on it.

Madican
05-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Beta is beta. You don't go into beta expecting everything to be perfect, you go into beta to help with finding bugs so the retail release is as good as it can get.

Gregzilla
05-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Touche. Right, right. Will we have to pay for retail version when Beta is over, though?

Clawdius
05-19-2013, 02:53 PM
The problem with releasing PVE video would have to be, they really don't have anything to show us at this point. The concept of the Arena dungeon is amazing, as is the Sphinx, and I have no doubt that all of their content will be entertaining. You'll just have to imagine using PVE only cards against AI opponents, because at the moment they're quite focused (no doubt) on getting the Alpha into place so they can squash as many bugs as possible before the Beta opens. Seeing the PVE doesn't really matter anyway, you know what you need to know. You have a champion, and can substitute a mercenary, who equips gear and gains levels. The gear affects cards in various ways, the levels unlock new abilities and charge powers. The rest of it you'll have to glean from the awesome updates where they discuss in depth the dynamics they're going for in PVE.

You might as well ask Camelot Unchained for a video showing off players building and then defending a fortress in RVR. This is an MMO, as well as a TCG. Just because many of the card mechanics are decided doesn't really mean that there is even placeholder art for some of the PVE encounters. As a TCG their focus needs to be on getting the game Alpha-ready to allow QA to battle AI endlessly to discover AI oddities, as well as battle one another with PVP cards to discover mechanics that aren't working as intended. The PVE "story" won't likely even be ready to have QA see it until the beta is out, they're looking at a release nearly 10 months after the beta begins, why on earth would they just be sitting on PVE content when so much revision is potentially going to take place before it is used?

Until then we must sate ourselves with the lore they've given us, and have faith that Hex will do right by the PVE. After all, it is what will be designed for F2P players to want to convert to VIP service and buy packs, or at least make them willing enough to give up significant amounts of time to appease the desires of those with more money than time to spend for equipment so F2Pers can purchase boosters and tournament entries.

Cornholio666
05-19-2013, 03:02 PM
@gregzilla Nope. You'll just get updates pushed to the same client you play Beta on. Anyway it's "free to play" so nobody will be charged for "retail" *.

*---I don't think they have plans for a physical disk edition, (which would be a couple bucks for manufacturing so would likely have a booster and decks to offset the cost, but you would be able to download the client for free online.).

Gregzilla
05-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Well, no worries then. They'll add stuff as we go along in Beta, too, aye?

Lazybum
05-19-2013, 03:09 PM
still they say this is a mmo/tcg so figure they would try to have least 1 video of pve done to put on kickstarter to help interest people. just my 2 cents, already a backer myself just would like to see some kind of pve video

Fireblast
05-19-2013, 03:16 PM
How do you code the PvE part when the TCG part is not finalized?

~

Xenavire
05-19-2013, 03:25 PM
How do you code the PvE part when the TCG part is not finalized?

~

Actually, this is something I overlooked but sums up my feelings perfectly.

IndigoShade
05-19-2013, 03:58 PM
My question for PvE is whether the layouts of the dungeons etc will be randomized each time or if they will be the same. I would think they would be more fun to replay if they weren't the same every time, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see! Either way, judging by the Dungeons & Raids (http://hextcg.com/game/dungeons-raids/) page there's more to the PvE half of the game than simply 1v1 dueling vs the AI, getting gear and leveling up your champion as you do so.

It will also be interesting to see if there's a platinum/gold currency exchange and how much of a demand for PvE cards there will be in order for PvE players to sell those cards to then get into PvP with.

ShaolinRaven
05-19-2013, 09:14 PM
I doubt the dungeons will be randomized, but they did say the choices you make would change things a bit. So there should be a least a few different stories/instances of each dungeon depending on how many faction or "side with this or that npc" choices there are.

Garod
05-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Honestly it wouldn't make sense not to include the PvE in the beta, the guys have been working for 2 years already on this game so they may already be well into creating at least one dungeon. Also they can create a concept for the video with the tools they have prepared. It could be just a small area for demonstration purposes only.
I also think it would be a real downer for all the folks with tiers which give the PvE rewards if only the PvP things went live in Beta and the Pro-tournaments already went live with that.

But ok let's wait and see what happenes.

Patrigan
05-20-2013, 01:29 AM
I don't get it, Haven't they announced that they WILL be showing more information on the PvE experience in the coming week? Can't remember where it was, but I'm sure I've seen it.

Mavian
05-20-2013, 02:18 AM
I don't get it, Haven't they announced that they WILL be showing more information on the PvE experience in the coming week? Can't remember where it was, but I'm sure I've seen it.

Yes they have. It's just currently PvE isn't at a place that they want to demo it yet. I imagine they're still tweaking AI and other issues to make sure it looks smooth. I imagine they'll try their best to get a short vid out before the end of the campaign, but there was no specific promise other than they would be showing PvE in the near future

Fireblast
05-20-2013, 05:23 AM
Showing/Talking more intensively is the plan from what I could gather/understand

~