PDA

View Full Version : Someone help convince me not to double dip please

fido_one
05-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Right,

So I used to casually play MtG back in the day - loved it, but didn't have a lot of friends that played so abandoned it after it got too complex (4th or 5th set). I remember when I finally dislodged from MtG saying 'Thank God' as I could finally pay for things that weren't cards.

So it's with a mighty bit of trepidation that I'm dropping 250 bucks on the PP tier. I managed to avoid WoW at all costs as I was worried about getting sucked in, but Hex hits WAY too many buttons for me to ignore it. I got a PP that was dropped as it's a cost saving endeavor as far as I'm concerned.

Now my finger is lingering on hitting 'go' for an additional King or, during dark moments, Grand King. It's stupid on so many levels, beyond level 1 of not being able to afford it, or level 2 of my wife bludgeoning me to death upon finding out. Oh yeah, I also kind of suck at TCGs. So there is that.

...and I know this is like going to a crack den and asking all the addicts why not to start up again, but here goes: my current line of reasoning NOT to go with an additional King (or Grand King) is below and I need some backup as to not drop the cash.

- As much as I think I'd sell stuff to recover some of the cost, experience shows I will not. I will horde all of my cards while simultaneously going gaunt and declaring 'my precious...es.'
- I don't want to nor will I be in the 1 % of l33t PvP or PvE players [because:
-- I have very little time
-- I am, in general terms, and specific terms when speaking of strategy and tactics, quite stupid
-- I am ridiculously impatient, which seems to go against TCGs in general - for example, I wanted to stop writing this post by the second sentence and throw a tantrum. ]
- The PvE bonuses equate mostly to me as time savers and since I can not become a lead player and have very little time there is no ceiling which I will see or aspire to, so the loot drops and experience bonuses become somewhat moot.
- Remember when I said I didn't play MtG too much because I didn't have too many friends that played? True statement. True because I didn't have that many friends period. I'm kind of a loner and as a result don't like making connections. Replace 'loner' with 'asshole' to get the reasons why.

Yeah, so that's my current line of reasoning to not double dip into the King (or Grand King)*. Someone help me out, just don't use good enough logic to dislodge me from my PP as it is miiiiinnnnneeeee.

* Please note that Albert Goddamn Einstein could prove mathematically why this isn't a good idea, and that me double dipping would trigger the end of all matter in existence, ever, and I'll still probably wake up at 2 a.m. in the morning to purchase another tier.

Daer
05-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Those are all good points.

Now think of all the cool stuff you get with a Grand King or an additional King.

BlindMan
05-19-2013, 06:59 PM
You realize that you are basically asking a room full of junkies to talk you out of taking another hit, right?

IndigoShade
05-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Just one more man! What harm could it do?

JoonYoungK
05-19-2013, 07:02 PM
So I used to casually play MtG back in the day - loved it, but didn't have a lot of friends that played so abandoned it after it got too complex (4th or 5th set). I remember when I finally dislodged from MtG saying 'Thank God' as I could finally pay for things that weren't cards.
-- I have very little time
-- I am, in general terms, and specific terms when speaking of strategy and tactics, quite stupid
-- I am ridiculously impatient, which seems to go against TCGs in general - for example, I wanted to stop writing this post by the second sentence and throw a tantrum. ]
Oh yeah, I also kind of suck at TCGs. So there is that.

Play something else. Get Dominion or another deckbuilding game or an LCG (netrunner is awesome). It's in your best interest. Seriously man.

Talreth
Be responsible.

Mike411
You know deep down that you want to go for grand king. Mmm more loot, more cards, exclusive art pvp cards each year for life, other nice little bonuses... just think of other ways to save money and go for it. Invest less in other forms of entertainment instead. You know you'll feel good about it as these things will never be available after kickstarter is over.

;)

Ashenor
05-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Clearly we all have restraint here that you are asking :).

Just go primal!

Mugaaz
05-19-2013, 07:21 PM
People who can't afford it shouldn't be backing this, just stupid. If you have disposable income its fine, otherwise no.

CoolGrayAJ
05-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Guys, please be responsible with your money. :)

Ghii_Zhar
05-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Split the difference, drop your PP and get GK!

You won't spend as much as buying both, and you will have all the PP benefits & all the other $250 tiers.

Like you, I'm not all that proficient at TCG's - I have played mostly MMORPGs the past 15 years. I am also not the greatest strategist the world has ever known, BUT I know how to have fun, and Hex Grand King will fill the bill!

BlindMan
05-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Aww shucks, do I have to?

Gregzilla
05-19-2013, 08:00 PM
I have the resilience to get King Tier and nothing more. :) It's all I need, heh

Madican
05-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Keep in mind that drafts will take several hours. One per week will be more than enough for me. If I had the cash I'd grab GK without a second thought.

ringlord
05-19-2013, 08:18 PM
OP: if you really don't have the cash, then please don't pledge any higher. CZE has already made their goal, and you'll have fun with the game at whatever level you're able pledge at.

If you want some negativity, then keep in mind that this game, as great as it seems, is not a sure thing. A lot of digital TCGs have come before, and a lot have waned and failed. You shouldn't count on being able to sell out as an excuse to pledge more.

Imagine the worst case (balance of the game is off, new players don't come in, it's just a bunch of pro-players playing each other every week living off free boosters, game is shut down two years in) and make sure you can live with yourself if it came to be.

Bloodiron
05-19-2013, 08:29 PM
imagine the worst case (balance of the game is off, new players don't come in, it's just a bunch of pro-players playing each other every week living off free boosters, game is shut down two years in) and make sure you can live with yourself if it came to be.

blasphemy!!

Sci3nce
05-19-2013, 08:33 PM
You picked up a PP today?

ShaolinRaven
05-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Sorry I can't help convince you not to. In fact if you do double dip you'll be helping the stretch goals along and I know you want to find out what that legendary goal at the end is :).

Moltenronrick
05-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Play something else. Get Dominion or another deckbuilding game or an LCG (netrunner is awesome). It's in your best interest. Seriously man.

Dominion is seriously an awesome game. I agree with JoonYoungK. What were we talking about again?

ringlord
05-19-2013, 08:47 PM
blasphemy!!

I know! Sorry for that, but obviously I don't believe it myself since I'm at Pro considering GK. But I have $900 cash in an envelope sitting in my dresser waiting for a rainy day.

djlowballer
05-19-2013, 08:50 PM
You openly admit to spending money on stuff you don't need and cannot afford but expect people to be able to talk you down from throwing more money down the sink? Self-Control man, learn it.

yovalord
05-19-2013, 09:35 PM
If you cannot afford it you cannot afford it, but let me give you some solid reasons on why dropping the extra money that you cant really spare in the first place would be a bad idea to somebody who doesn't have a decent amount of money to throw around!

1. You said you didnt have much time, the general consensus says the free draft is by far the only reason to get a 250$ tier. The website says drafts will be about 3 consecutive hours long if you are playing all the way through. Playing one a week is probably easy to make time for, but add another and that could be 6 hours >.<

2. The 150 boosters + 4 starter decks + stretch goal rewards actually give you probably everything you will need for set 1. Especially if you don't have infinite hours to play. And even more true if you aren't going to be a hardcore min/max strategist.

3. Keep in mind "selling" cards to make back some of your investment right now COULD be a bannable offense as no word of actual real money trading has been announced. Selling on a third party could be bannable~

4. And all in all, set one is going to be insanely flooded, boosters will likely be insanely cheap in the auction house, single cards will be very cheap, mostly because tens of thousands of booster for SET ONE were given out through the kickstarter. I wouldnt expect to be able to turn a profit for anything in the game until around set 3 or 4 in the event anything is even legally tradeable.

Karnegal
05-19-2013, 09:41 PM
I imagine that series 1 cards are going to be relatively cheap due to the massive amount of cards that many people will be starting with. Buying packs as investments seems like a bad plan. Buy them because you want to draft them of (yuck) crack them. Odds are that hard to get equipment and PvE cards will actually be more valuable out of the gate due to supply and demand.

fido_one
05-20-2013, 05:31 AM
Thanks all,

I was being somewhat tongue in cheek but people have made some really good points here that I enjoyed reading. I'm getting quite excited about the community that seems to be swirling around the game if I must say so. As far as those pointing out that you shouldn't get it if you can't pay for it, that advice is sound and appreciated - it's really about putting money into the game for me vs. putting money into a zillion other non-fun things that have been piling up [and will never really go away regardless of how much money I throw at them].

Jacklau89
05-20-2013, 05:49 AM
Whether you should get another King or even Grand King should depends on if you will regret NOT getting it afterwards. For me, when facing a tough decision I would always ask myself about that. Hence, make a choice that you won't moan later.

WWKnight
05-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Those are all good points.

Now think of all the cool stuff you get with a Grand King or an additional King.

JEEEEZZZ! That got me good. :D +1

madar
05-20-2013, 06:48 AM
I dont know about you Fido, but this is about a game what will release after a year. I am goin to spending like 50 or 65 USD to this, what usually a computer game cost, but who know what happen in the next year? Maybe you get a beautiful twins (i mean kids, not instead your wife duh) and you will have no free time at all. If you don't have infinite amount of money and\or you are not a TCG-geek, you should not overspend. It's a very nice thing to help for Cryptozoic to finish the game, but if you spend too much money and will regret later, you will hate the entire thing.
The game will be good, and you will able to enjoy it without this plus things too, i am sure. On this forum there is many guys who spend tons of money for this project, but believe me, they are not casual players ^^

caffn8d
05-20-2013, 06:56 AM
My advice? Only spend as much as you can afford and still say "oh, I guess I just threw all that money away" without feeling sick to your stomach. That's my advice with any game, but doubly so for one that isn't even finished. I went Grand King knowing full well that I might be buying a bunch of lifetime perks to a game that is terrible. Do I think it's likely? No, or I wouldn't have jumped in. But for me it was about supporting the vision. I also did so knowing that I'll have that money to spend on something else cool/ridiculous again next month if I want to since it was disposable/fun money. YMMV.

tl;dr- stay in school, and get off my lawn! ;)

fido_one
05-20-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm sticking with the PP tier only. I ran it by my significant other who couldn't be bothered about such things [unfortunately], but is supporting me dropping the 250. I want to upgrade to Grand King or add a King but I think that's pushing it - best to be on the up and keep my testicles than to keep a secret from her.

Joolz
05-20-2013, 04:44 PM
You should obviously sell your house/car and buy out the rest of the producer tiers. At that point you could probably legitimately put it on your resume and jump start a new career!

Ha, in all honestly like someone else said any of the $250 tiers is likely to get you enough cards to last a very long time so don't overdo it if you can't afford it.