PDA

View Full Version : Witch Species

Omegahugger
05-20-2013, 07:40 AM
So I was looking at the cards we've seen so far when I came upon something interesting.

The Glimmerglen and Shadowgrove Witches both have their types listed as "Witch". Nothing more and nothing less. Since every single class we've seen so far has been proceeded with a species, this must mean that in Enrath Witches are type of creature along the lines Voidtouched and Dinosaur.

That, or that Cryptozoic forgot to write species name onto two of their cards.

But what are witches? While Witch as a race is no new idea, what it entails can differ a lot between different verses. Are they members of "normal" races that have had their bodies altered as a result of a powerful ritual? Are they a race of powerful magic users that have chosen not to take a stand in the war? Both witches we've seen have belonged to either Wild or Blood, the "pure" and "natural" (well, more natural in the case of Blood) types of magic. Combined with the fact that Glimmerglen and Shadowgrove sounds like locations, does this mean that witches are actually Genius Loci!?

Probably not, but I doubt that a little discussion would hurt anyone. So, what do you think? What is the case of these neutral beings that have more cards revealed than several members of the official creature list?

MasterN64
05-20-2013, 10:45 AM
None of the artwork is final as of yet so i would probably say its just an overlooked error.

Omegahugger
05-20-2013, 11:24 AM
While that answer is as likely as it is boring (sorry), as far as I know, this is the first time we've seen a class that doesn't match the player classes. Besides, if witch was just a class, wouldn't Mage or Warlock be a better fit?

Thanisse
05-20-2013, 11:39 AM
While that answer is as likely as it is boring (sorry), as far as I know, this is the first time we've seen a class that doesn't match the player classes. Besides, if witch was just a class, wouldn't Mage or Warlock be a better fit?

witches are kinda female warlocks in some cultures .
also , witch , from my point of view is something like a hexing debuffing class :P
so more like a shaman than a warlock xD

Omegahugger
05-20-2013, 11:59 AM
But shaman isn't a class we've seen either...

Erebus
05-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Well if you read about the Warlock class, they cover a wide range of classes based on racial and cultural definitions of the class.

ShaolinRaven
05-20-2013, 01:13 PM
They are probably Necrotics. Notice the card "Scourge Knight" also doesn't have a race, it doesn't say "Necrotic Scourge Knight", just "Scourge Knight". So I figure the witches are along the same line, either outright Necrotics or just sentient undead types.

Omegahugger
05-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Wild Undead? That could actually be nice.

mauvebutterfly
05-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Wild Undead? That could actually be nice.

I agree. It's always bothered me that undead are always linked in with "evil" in a lot of the lore of various worlds.

While the thought of a reanimated corpse might be upsetting to humans, I don't see it as any more inherently evil than animating a machine of some sort, or an elemental. It's just matter that's been animated.

Sentient undead are another issue, but like humans, it depends on what they do with that sentience.

Loregoyle
05-21-2013, 01:36 PM
In HEX, witches are their own race. They are female spellcasters who all have their own agenda, some are blatantly evil (such as the Shadowgrove Witch) while others have motivations that are more mysterious (like the Glimmerglen Witch).

They use all manner of magic for their purposes, including Hexing Gems. Witches like to use magic and gems in unusual ways, often perverting the typical ways they are used by the more "mainstream" races.

Thanisse
05-22-2013, 05:54 AM
so witches are their own race ... cute
now ... will we get a backstory for them xD ?