PDA

View Full Version : Ruby Major

Estar1
05-20-2013, 08:52 AM
one of the Ruby Majors is When this troop deals damage to a Champion, that champion loses a resource point.

Resource destruction is one of the most annyoing and unfun effects in a TCG game as it makes the opponent unable to fight back. we have already seen a 3 cost major socketable, who also has a nifty effect assoicated with him.

Just saying this major seems way out of line with the other major powers that can be gained.

Verdant
05-20-2013, 09:01 AM
You don't wanna go down a rabbit hole of disabling "unfun" mechanics based on personal preferences. It's fine that you don't like losing resources, very few people do. I for one am not particularly fond of being drained turn after turn, so let's disable it also? Someone else doesn't want to be stampeded, another one hates discards... you get the point.

BLyons
05-20-2013, 09:03 AM
one of the Ruby Majors is When this troop deals damage to a Champion, that champion loses a resource point.

Resource destruction is one of the most annyoing and unfun effects in a TCG game as it makes the opponent unable to fight back. we have already seen a 3 cost major socketable, who also has a nifty effect assoicated with him.

Just saying this major seems way out of line with the other major powers that can be gained.

I don't think it's actually resource destruction. It sounds like you would have one less resource point available on your opponent's turn, so it's more like tapping an untapped land than destroying one.

Madican
05-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Also it wouldn't affect threshold, which would be a really nasty effect that I'm sure they're saving for Set 2 or something.

Estar1
05-20-2013, 09:08 AM
I don't think it's actually resource destruction. It sounds like you would have one less resource point available on your opponent's turn, so it's more like tapping an untapped land than destroying one.

Hmm this would make sense and seem more in line with power of the other majors. I'm sure their doing testing either way.

Grissnap
05-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Kind of a lame effect if that's true, they would either use their resource points before they are dealt damage, or if they don't have a play it does absolutely nothing to hinder the opponent. I'm pretty sure it means resource destruction. It does turn that troop into something that needs to be responded to. I was thinking it might be decent to add to a socketable troop that can use an ability to deal damage directly.

Tyrfang
05-20-2013, 09:27 AM
It would work well with creatures that have an ability that deal damage, just use it after the upkeep phase.

dogmod
05-20-2013, 11:48 AM
I am under the impression that majors are for PvE only... You wouldn't be playing against that, just with it.

ShaolinRaven
05-20-2013, 02:09 PM
I am under the impression that majors are for PvE only... You wouldn't be playing against that, just with it.

Crypto has said that gems will be available for pvp and did not make a distinction that only minor gems will be available, which means that you will be playing against major gems as well.

SacrificialToast
05-20-2013, 03:35 PM
It is possible that Major Sockets only appear on PvE cards though. Is there actually any mark on cards to indicate if they're PvE or PvP?

IndigoShade
05-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Yes, if they have what looks like a little skull with horns icon at the bottom it's a PvE card.

cheese
05-20-2013, 03:38 PM
It is possible that Major Sockets only appear on PvE cards though. Is there actually any mark on cards to indicate if they're PvE or PvP?

Little golden symbol at the bottom of the card. http://puu.sh/2XH0c.jpg

traeki
05-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Little golden symbol at the bottom of the card. http://puu.sh/2XH0c.jpg

And to be clear, it's the leftmost of the three symbols in that image. Looks kind of like a Masquerade mask to me.

SacrificialToast
05-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Well, in that case, here's your man (at 7 resources).
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/MasterTheory_Gear_Web.png

Jugan
05-20-2013, 04:25 PM
All mechanics and cards subject to change until the release date. And then they will be subject to change and errata.

funktion
05-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Alright. So for 7 resources you can play a guy that potentially is resource denial...
-What's unclear is if they permanently lose that resource or whether it is just until their next "upkeep". In short is it -1/0 resources or -0/1 resources?

One more time... it costs 7... and is a dude, meaning you'd have to not have any blockers. If I'm playing a creature for 7 it better either have a dramatic effect when it hits the table (i guess we should stop saying table and start saying screen) or put me WAY far ahead from one swing.

To the mastertheorycrafter's credit... the red major says "when it deals damage to a champion" and not just "when it deals combat damage" so he's got that going for him.

Finally, I fully support what verdant said. Furthermore, resource denial is only even marginally decent when it's appropriately costed, and even then your chances to draw the right hand are less likely than many other competitive decks. It's like playing a combo deck and hoping to always have the right pieces in your opening hand.

Talreth
05-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Don't really see the difference between playing vs a resource denial deck than a control deck, except the control deck will generally be more rounded and stop you from doing things more consistently.

funktion
05-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Don't really see the difference between playing vs a resource denial deck than a control deck, except the control deck will generally be more rounded and stop you from doing things more consistently.

When you're playing the quickest and simplest agro deck and you're paired up against...
-Control, you keep attacking in hopes that your 2/2 guy you played on turn one doesn't meet a blocker soon and come to a quick demise. Maybe if you topdeck that burn spell and hit them for 2 to the face you'll be able to win before the control player gets the innevetability...
-Land Disruption / Resource Denial whathaveyou, you attack for another turn with your 2/2 only to find out on the opponents turn that they blew up one of your resources. On the following turn you attack again with your 2/2 and topdeck your burn spell, you hit yourself in the face with it because you know there's no way you're gonna lose.

RECHiD
05-20-2013, 08:58 PM
The socket effects are just a rough "give you an idea of what we want sockets to do." Nearly all the effects posted on the socket page deal with troops; I doubt they'd just leave non-troop cards out to dry with such an interesting mechanic. Also, the game is in pre-alpha, so card/socket balance isn't even near the top of their to-do list.

I do hate me some resource denial though, whether it be Ruby Gems on a Beast Rider, or !%@#!@ lings in my mineral line.