PDA

View Full Version : Uses of in-game Gold?

EntropyBall
05-20-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm looking forward to more info about this. From what I've read, Platinum will be only obtainable by paying real money (and maybe being a Raid Boss), but Gold will be earned from the PVE campaign.

Have there been any mentions of what it is used for? Anyone have any guesses?

Without gold sinks (last step of "foiling" a card maybe?) it seems like its destined to be devalued like D2's gold. I guess it could be used in crafting, or there could be a store where you could spend it on PVE cards, gems, equipment, and packs.

Bloodiron
05-20-2013, 04:56 PM
No idea why, but spending gold on boosters with just PVE cards in them sort of sounds appealing...

Goldenmean
05-20-2013, 05:16 PM
No idea why, but spending gold on boosters with just PVE cards in them sort of sounds appealing...

I'm fine with gold giving you some subset of the cards from the PvE set, but I really hope that they all aren't available through PvE boosters. I'm hoping there are certain cards that require either defeating a certain boss or raid, or performing a specific crafting recipe, etc. Having everything tied directly to gold just means that people will find the most efficient grind spot and then chain that ad infinitum. Tying card rewards to specific bosses/factions/recipes/whatnot means there's more of an incentive to do everything out there.

jai151
05-20-2013, 05:19 PM
I would assume it's part of crafting too. IE pay a price to combine.

nearlysober
05-20-2013, 05:20 PM
I think they've already hinted that gold will be used for 'traditional' MMO type expenses:
Vendors
Faction rewards
Crafting (possibly recipes or extra mats, etc)

I imagine you'll be able to find a decent amount of PvP cards on the Gold AH as well either due to:
- Plat market being flooded with certain cards to the point where it's not worth it to sell
- People with excess of PvP cards looking for a way to jump start their PvE experience with some extra gold

ShaolinRaven
05-20-2013, 05:59 PM
There will also be a gold auction house, probably for PvE cards/equipment. Though some players may put some PvP cards on there as well.

KingBlackstone
05-20-2013, 07:35 PM
If this game does use RMT, there will be a Gold to Platinum exchange rate.

Liokae
05-20-2013, 07:41 PM
If this game does use RMT, there will be a Gold to Platinum exchange rate.

Gotta be real careful with that, though. Something akin to the Guild Wars 2 setup where the conversion rate is determined by market activity, so its essentially the people that buy platinum selling it for the gold, rather than just buying platinum from the game.

Cailin_Coilleach
05-21-2013, 01:52 AM
They've already gone of this quite a few times I believe.

* Dollars / Euros buy you platinum
* Platinum buys you gold
* Gold can be used to buy starters/boosters
* Gold can be used to trade in the auction house

I'm unsure whether platinum can also be used to buy starters/boosters.

Gold CANNOT be traded for platinum. Platinum CANNOT be sold for dollars/euros.

Grissnap
05-21-2013, 02:01 AM

* Platinum buys you gold

Citation please? Especially regarding the gold can buy packs.

Nine9nevamine
05-21-2013, 02:02 AM
I too am fine with gold packs. Just do not create a game like MTG where one needs to buy the latest pack to keep up with meta.

Karnegal
05-21-2013, 02:03 AM
Gold doesn't buy boosters. Platinum buys boosters.

katkillad
05-21-2013, 02:04 AM

* Platinum buys you gold

Uhhh...this doesn't make sense. If platinum is only used to buy gold why have it at all? Why not just make dollars buy gold and use gold on everything?

I think gold is earned in PVE, you might be able to buy gold with platinum and platinum will be used for entry fees and booster packs.

Grissnap
05-21-2013, 02:07 AM
I too am fine with gold packs. Just do not create a game like MTG where one needs to buy the latest pack to keep up with meta.

Then you will want to avoid PvP my friend.

katkillad
05-21-2013, 02:07 AM

It sounds like you might be in the wrong forums then friend.

Nine9nevamine
05-21-2013, 02:10 AM
How so?

Grissnap
05-21-2013, 02:33 AM
Because PvP will be a game like mtg where you will need to buy the latest packs to keep up with the meta.

Digital_Aether
05-21-2013, 02:35 AM
Gold does not buy boosters. Platinum buys boosters and tournament entries, that sort of thing. Gold is generally spent in the PvE world, and boosters are for PvP cards. The AH can list items for gold or platinum, and platinum can be converted to gold.

Cailin_Coilleach
05-21-2013, 03:52 AM
Uhhh...this doesn't make sense. If platinum is only used to buy gold why have it at all? Why not just make dollars buy gold and use gold on everything?

Hey, I could be wrong :) My memory isn't that good, besides, I did write: "I'm unsure whether platinum can also be used to buy starters/boosters.".

It could also be that platinum is used to buy starters/boosters/entry fees and that gold can be used to buy starters/boosters in the auction house. As has been said by Cory: just about anything that is not account-bound can be traded. So I'm sure people will be selling their boosters in the auction house, for gold.

EDIT:
What Digital_Aether said.

ShaolinRaven
05-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Platinum is for starters and boosters and the Platinum AH will probably end up being the "pvp AH" where your competitive singles, unopened packs, etc will be sold.

Gold is for PvE only and there will be a separate Gold AH which will probably end up being "pve AH" for PvE cards and equipment, non-competitive singles or the extra commons/uncommons from booster packs that people want to unload.

I don't know if Platinum can buy Gold, but since you can get gold through PvE and its only used for PvE I don't know why people would spend Platinum for Gold instead of on boosters/singles in the Platinum AH or for tourney fees.

Digital_Aether
05-21-2013, 05:28 AM
CZE has said there will be an option to buy gold using platinum from them. I'm sure that will end up being the market floor though, as buying a booster with plat and selling it for gold would definitely net more for your dollar.

Cailin_Coilleach
05-21-2013, 06:46 AM
@ ShaolinRaven:
Do you have a source for the "two separate auction houses"? Because that's the first I've heard of it.

LexC
05-21-2013, 07:00 AM
Platinum is for starters and boosters and the Platinum AH will probably end up being the "pvp AH" where your competitive singles, unopened packs, etc will be sold.

Gold is for PvE only and there will be a separate Gold AH which will probably end up being "pve AH" for PvE cards and equipment, non-competitive singles or the extra commons/uncommons from booster packs that people want to unload.

I don't know if Platinum can buy Gold, but since you can get gold through PvE and its only used for PvE I don't know why people would spend Platinum for Gold instead of on boosters/singles in the Platinum AH or for tourney fees.

Don't think there will be 2 AH's. Also if Gold is PvE only and Platinum is the only thing than can be bough with $ and we can assume that not everyone will want to play PvP and there fore sometimes will want to spend $ on Gold for PvE, instead of grinding it in the dungeons. So it only makes sense that Platinum can be converted to Gold considering that $ will only buy you Platinum...

Did that make sense to anyone apart from me?? lol

caffn8d
05-21-2013, 07:07 AM
I think I get what you're saying, LexC. That some folks aren't going to care about PvP, but will still want to get stuff faster than they earn it in game. Hence converting their real life money into PvE stuff via Plat -> Gold conversion.

LexC
05-21-2013, 07:12 AM
I think I get what you're saying, LexC. That some folks aren't going to care about PvP, but will still want to get stuff faster than they earn it in game. Hence converting their real life money into PvE stuff via Plat -> Gold conversion.

Exactly.

ShaolinRaven
05-21-2013, 07:17 AM
@ ShaolinRaven:
Do you have a source for the "two separate auction houses"? Because that's the first I've heard of it.

I thought I saw something about it, but it may have been a case of "they have 2 currencies of course they'll have 2 acution houses".

Though if they don't separate them I don't see why anyone would ever sell anything in the AH for gold when you can use platinum for everything, including buying gold. Which means all pve gear, pve only cards, and everything else will only be selling for platinum.

LexC
05-21-2013, 07:35 AM
I thought I saw something about it, but it may have been a case of "they have 2 currencies of course they'll have 2 acution houses".

Though if they don't separate them I don't see why anyone would ever sell anything in the AH for gold when you can use platinum for everything, including buying gold. Which means all pve gear, pve only cards, and everything else will only be selling for platinum.

It will all depend on the inflation rate of the Platinum, sinse it's going to be the prefered method of payment for the PvP cards, (or $ ofcausre)

Turtlewing
05-21-2013, 08:16 AM
As I recall

Platinum can buy:
Boosters and Starters
Tournament entry fees
Gold
Cards/packs/gear/crafting mats via the exchange

Gold can buy:
Cards/ gear/etc. from in game venders.
Cards/packs/gear/crafting materials from the gold exchange

Cailin_Coilleach
05-21-2013, 08:17 AM
It will all depend on the inflation rate of the Platinum, sinse it's going to be the prefered method of payment for the PvP cards, (or $ ofcausre)

IINM, "for the PVP cards in boosters". PVP cards will be sold individually in the auction house as well, right? So you should be able to get them with gold as well, especially since PVP cards will also be used in PVE.

GhundiPI
05-21-2013, 08:57 AM

If platinum can be used to pay for tournament entry fees and booster packs, I expect it to have a fixed value depending on the amount of platinum needed for the entry fee and packs. Which should also trickle down to everything else including the platinum to gold ratio, creating a somewhat stable economy.

As for gold, I expect it to be used for quite a few things in PvE like crafting for example. Which will create a demand for gold, and makes selling items for gold interesting for everyone as well. Still it all depends on how the auction house is going to be set up, which we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Stok3d
05-21-2013, 09:57 AM

* Platinum buys you gold

I do not believe your statements regarding gold are correct. That would essentially destroy the business model for Cryptozoic.

As I recall

Platinum can buy:
Boosters and Starters
Tournament entry fees
Gold
Cards/packs/gear/crafting mats via the exchange

Gold can buy:
Cards/ gear/etc. from in game venders.
Cards/packs/gear/crafting materials from the gold exchange

This looks spot on.

Cailin_Coilleach
05-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Yes, I think my initial post was wrong and that I was remembering things wrong. Turtlewing's description sounds spot-on, except that I'm not sure that the auction house will accept platinum for trades.

Mmm... Time will tell!

Turtlewing
05-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Yes, I think my initial post was wrong and that I was remembering things wrong. Turtlewing's description sounds spot-on, except that I'm not sure that the auction house will accept platinum for trades.

Mmm... Time will tell!

That may be true. The community seems to think there will be a gold AH and a Platinum AH, but I don't know that I've seen an official statement one way or the other.

jai151
05-21-2013, 12:18 PM
That may be true. The community seems to think there will be a gold AH and a Platinum AH, but I don't know that I've seen an official statement one way or the other.

It's on the kickstarter page.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/456/890/75cf85c7d80b05982c3dc0687155c609_large.jpg?1363747 950

Cailin_Coilleach
05-21-2013, 12:22 PM
And so it is! Well I'll be damned... 'sbeen staring us in the face all that time.

Grayspark
05-22-2013, 05:28 AM
It's on the kickstarter page.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/456/890/75cf85c7d80b05982c3dc0687155c609_large.jpg?1363747 950

Please enlighten me, so this means they only have one auction house right?
Like: Cards can be obtained through Gold, Platinum, or Auction House?

Digital_Aether
05-22-2013, 06:17 AM
The auction house will allow people to post items, like cards, booster packs, etc. for a price in either gold or in platinum. What the market actually does with that (like how many PvP cards might list for gold), we won't know till the AH is running.