PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: Name-stamping Cards

jai151
05-21-2013, 08:52 AM
I proposed this idea in the botting thread to an initially negative response, but since has seen a lot of support. Since it's about a lot more than combating botting, I figured I'd make it its own topic. So, without further ado...

The very simple idea is once a card is foil-unlocked, the (now filled) experience bar on the double-back is replaced with a line that says, "Unlocked by [Player]" This could also apply to the achievements, either stamping the name of the player unlocking them below the achievement symbol or on hover over.

From what I see, the benefits and drawbacks are outlined below:

BENEFITS:

Helps give a sense of identity to the card. If you take the time to unlock all your cards yourself, you're playing with a deck bearing YOUR name.

Opens up a new business for famous players. Get yourself a good reputation and you can make a bit of gold/plat by selling the equivalent of autographed cards.

Helps unleveled cards retain value

Detracts from the value of bot-leveled cards (Unlocked by Dsdvs? No thanks)

DRAWBACKS:

Limits the ability of a foil leveling business, which could be a source of very legitimate income

If not implemented right, could cause a bot logic of "level card to 99%, then sell" (My suggestion would be to have it name-stamped to whoever completed most of the experience)

Has the possibility of detracting from the potential resale value of most foils (Just as someone doesn't want to play with Dsdvs's foils, they may not want to play with Jai's foils either).

So let's open the floor up to discussion. What do you guys think?

BossHoss
05-21-2013, 09:01 AM
I have liked the idea since the botting thread but never decided to yell through the window I was creeping from...

I personally would love to see something like a name and small foiled guild stamp or something on the double back. So when a guild registers they can also register a guild logo for this purpose to allow more customization maybe

Xenavire
05-21-2013, 09:13 AM
I propose making it optional - some players may want to stay anonymous.

I would do it on a case by case basis. With my own cards if course.

ringlord
05-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Another good example of the kind of features that are possible with the digital-only TCG.

I like this idea.

Fireblast
05-21-2013, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't want cards stamped by other players.

So either :
- We can reset cards so I can level it myself
- No stamps

~

Tyrfang
05-21-2013, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't mind a history of the card similar to what they have in Urban Rivals (if anyone has played that...)

Basically, it gives you a time stamp log of the trades for the card.
e.g. :
12:16 5/12/2013 - Opened from Booster Pack by PlayerA
12:17 5/12/2013 - Drafted by PlayerB
16:25 5/13/2013 - Traded to PlayerC

Better to make it mandatory. A feature like this only works if it is mandatory for all cards.

It's possible to add an "Converted to Foil Version by PlayerD" in this quite easily.

Sci3nce
05-21-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm kinda torn on this. If my name is on a card I foiled then I going to be less likely to want to sell the card. And if I do sell it, the name can either add value or take from the value. It'll definitely make me think twice about what name I choose when creating an account.

Tyrfang
05-21-2013, 09:22 AM
I'm kinda torn on this. If my name is on a card I foiled then I going to be less likely to want to sell the card. And if I do sell it, the can either add value or take from the value. It'll definitely make me think twice about what name I choose when creating an account.

Unlocked by VirginSacrifice?

Realistically, few people mind after a while except as an interesting "oh that's cool, this card has been traded 12 times..."

BossHoss
05-21-2013, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't mind a history of the card similar to what they have in Urban Rivals (if anyone has played that...)

Basically, it gives you a time stamp log of the trades for the card.
e.g. :
12:16 5/12/2013 - Opened from Booster Pack by PlayerA
12:17 5/12/2013 - Drafted by PlayerB
16:25 5/13/2013 - Traded to PlayerC

Better to make it mandatory. A feature like this only works if it is mandatory for all cards.

It's possible to add an "Converted to Foil Version by PlayerD" in this quite easily.

This would work well with a simple history folder/button that is clickable on the double back...

Remains hidden for those that dont want to see it but still selectable for those that do

BossHoss
05-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Unlocked by VirginSacrifice?

Bought by: Barry McHawknyu

ringlord
05-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Drafted by: Turd Furgeson

Yasi
05-21-2013, 09:31 AM
I don't see why not.

Daer
05-21-2013, 09:35 AM
I'd rather not have other peoples names on my cards.

A little history box on your collection page that shows the history of the card would be fine.

Tyrfang
05-21-2013, 09:37 AM
I guess you can just have
Opened
Drafted
Traded
Unlocked
without player names.

Stok3d
05-21-2013, 09:39 AM
I do not want to see other people's names on the cards I own.
I really dislike this suggestion.

If there are botters and free accounts, then one guy may make 1000x accounts. This suggestion will solve absolutely nothing and will simply put your name on a card everytime you trade it.

The backend (Cryptozoic) should obviously have this feature for account security purposes, but that shouldn't be transparent to the end user.

Yasi
05-21-2013, 09:39 AM
I'd rather not have other peoples names on my cards.

How about an option to disable this for yourself, but others can still see the names?

Tyrfang
05-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Having options for this type of feature that is relatively minor is silly.

Frodus
05-21-2013, 09:40 AM
This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
First of all, do you really think there will be bots that take the time long enough just to foil out a card that anyone else in the game can just foil out themselves?
secondly, why are bots limited to names like dsdvs, if it keeps them selling cards, they'll just start making bots with real names.

this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Yasi
05-21-2013, 09:41 AM
I'd say 90% of the things people are suggesting are silly. Just because it deviates away the TCG aspect. But on the other hand, you can either go big or go home.

Yasi
05-21-2013, 09:43 AM
This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
First of all, do you really think there will be bots that take the time long enough just to foil out a card that anyone else in the game can just foil out themselves?
secondly, why are bots limited to names like dsdvs, if it keeps them selling cards, they'll just start making bots with real names.

this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Not to mention the bots can fake professional players name with the l and i and other things. If cheaters can make even 1 cent more, they'll do it.

BossHoss
05-21-2013, 09:52 AM
I can see it now...

L5V
Gabriel Na55if
Yuuya Whatyouwannabe?

Sci3nce
05-21-2013, 10:02 AM

You haven't played many MMO's have you? If it makes $$, the bots will be there.

Sci3nce
05-21-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm Riding both sides here. I would love to see my name on my cards, not so much seeing others names on my cards.

D34thD34ler
05-21-2013, 10:08 AM
I like the idea of being able to see who owned the card and learning a little about it's history. I think if I saw my friends name on this Pack Raptor I'd probably recall trading them for it and enjoy that, but a complete stranger's name would mean pretty little. I think I'd prefer to have only a select group of names of my choosing display and the rest be anonymous. The idea of resetting a foil so you can carve your name on it has its merits too and the idea that it could have a history etched into it over time is intriguing.

Basically people would need control over this feature for themselves because some will like it and many will hate it.

Tyrfang
05-21-2013, 10:11 AM
If you don't care, just don't use the feature.

I'm sure there's people who don't want to watch replays of their games. It doesn't mean it shouldn't be implemented.

By the way, this shouldn't really affect the value of the cards on the AH if it's made as a bid/ask sort of system.

Omegahugger
05-21-2013, 10:13 AM
I like the idea as long as it's something written on the Doubleback, and not on the main card. (probably an obvious detail, but worth mentioning anyways)

Also, I like the ability to reset cards. Even if I unlocked them myself, it could be fun to try them again~

Kroan
05-21-2013, 10:13 AM
I like my cards clean, thank you very much. It would be like getting a toy with someone else's name written on it when you were a kid. Once I buy a card, i'd like to be it mine aswell :) But I guess as long as I can "reset" cards, I would be fine with it.

ShaolinRaven
05-21-2013, 10:15 AM
I would rather not have card stamping just for filling out its exp bar or doing its achievs. I already have enough info on the card without adding what would basically be a signature for every player that came in contact with the card.

Hibbert
05-21-2013, 10:18 AM
A very similar idea is already confirmed to be in the game. The badges on a card that show its use in tournament wins also bear the name of the person that used it for that win. I think this was in one of the videos, but I can't remember for sure now.

I like this, if only to cut back on the inevitable SˇnGokű└rthaSŠpherothX's you see running around other games. Plus it might make opening packs outside of a draft/sealed more appealing if "fresh" cards go for a premium.

Tyrfang
05-21-2013, 10:20 AM
This is rather different from what is suggested. More of a Tournament Edition of a card. I wouldn't be surprised if Cryptozoic basically offered a championship "starter" deck at some point in the future.

The vast majority would rather just have the card at the best price, and not care whether or not it is clean or used. It doesn't seem to matter in Urbal Rivals at all, for example.

BossHoss
05-21-2013, 10:23 AM
A very similar idea is already confirmed to be in the game. The badges on a card that show its use in tournament wins also bear the name of the person that used it for that win. I think this was in one of the videos, but I can't remember for sure now.

I like this, if only to cut back on the inevitable SˇnGokű└rthaSŠpherothX's you see running around other games. Plus it might make opening packs outside of a draft/sealed more appealing if "fresh" cards go for a premium.

Maybe EXP becomes the new wear on a card replacing mint near mint etc. Unused Lotus El Negro worth more than foiled? Would have to wait and see the meta for the sandbox

jai151
05-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Okay, sorry for starting this and walking away, but work does happen =)

So, reading through the comments, I love the idea of "resetting" a card. 100%.

As for making it optional, it would be on the double-back. It's not like the face of the cards has a big signature on it, it's just a footnote that replaces the experience bar when full.

As for bots, let's mostly leave them out of the conversation. This may have started in that thread, but it's more a sidenote in the discussion.

Let's see, what else...

Oh! Account names! Yes, a HUGE bonus would be the push towards names that you're actually proud of rather than ones made for a cheap laugh or by banging your head against the keyboard and seeing what sticks.

Joolz
05-21-2013, 10:43 AM
I think it's kind of silly. It'd have to be unobtrusive enough not to annoy people (like me) who don't want names on there in the first place and if it's buried that deeply what's the point?

Tyrfang
05-21-2013, 10:47 AM
To clarify, this is something that is most likely tracked in the backend anyway, so making it visible would not be a huge burden.

jai151
05-21-2013, 10:51 AM
I think it's kind of silly. It'd have to be unobtrusive enough not to annoy people (like me) who don't want names on there in the first place and if it's buried that deeply what's the point?

It would replace the XP bar on the double-back. Is that too obtrusive?

Thanisse
05-21-2013, 11:05 AM
I so love love LOVE this idea !

+1

all will love my cards and despair ! muahahaha !

Stok3d
05-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Hey Guildie, can a borrow that card for my deck?
Only if you promise not to scribble your name all over it...

jai151
05-21-2013, 12:14 PM

Oh, dearie me. He seems to have unlocked the foil and put his name on there. Oh well.

*Clicks revert card*

All better.

Turtlewing
05-21-2013, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't want cards stamped by other players.

So either :
- We can reset cards so I can level it myself
- No stamps

~

Or you can pay a premium for "mint condition" cards that aren't leveled and turn the whole "foils == more value" thing on it's head.

Thanisse
05-21-2013, 12:25 PM

in before everyone doing this with their best friends BEST cards :P
I know I would xD !

Daer
05-21-2013, 12:29 PM

Tinuvas
05-21-2013, 12:54 PM
I want out and out sigs on cards (with options for NOT seeing the sig etc.), especially if it's a pro-used card or whatnot, but I think that would be a bit TOO controversial, so *shrug*. I would rather see strangers names on a pile of my cards than my own though, as cards with my name on it would be rather common in my collection. I'd trade the same exact card with a stranger just to see a cool history on a card.

That's an interesting possible market. Same card trades just to switch up card histories etc.

Maybe JUST pros (and maybe artists...or the vanity card folk...basically limit it to less than the common masses) could sign cards.

Thinking on it further, anything that shows the history of a card (with options to turn it off) would just ring my bell something fierce.

And I SUPPOSE I could see the option to reset the card, with the first entry on the history after that being "RESET by *** on date ***" So you could see the wipe. Worth less to me, but *shrug*.

All in all, I strongly feel that making cards more collectible through histories, sigs, etc. will bend the market away from bots and whatnot in a natural way, or maybe just create 2 separate markets, one for collectibles, one for hard core/don't care gamers. I'm not saying that's for the best, but it will happen I think.

EntropyBall
05-21-2013, 03:01 PM
I really like this idea. Don't care much about the whole history of the card, though I guess I would find it novel to be able to pull up that info. Once the card has completely leveled up, it seems like a great use for that old XP bar. It won't be staring everyone in the face all the time since its on the double back, and you won't have someone else's name on your card unless you buy/trade for a foil. Along those lines, I think the reset option is cool too.

Ebynfel
05-21-2013, 03:33 PM
The only way I would like for this to matter, is in the little trophy box, it said what tourney and who played it to it's position. I think a heavily traded card seeing trophies with multiple players would be pretty sweet. If I win a tourney with a card, I'd like for my info to be represented there. Plus, you then have the "Ebynfel won the 2014 HEX invitational with this card! OMG!" Though likely not true, would be super cool nonetheless :)

cheese
05-22-2013, 12:16 AM
I don't get it.

If you're going to reset the card anyways, why the fuck would you buy it foiled anyways?

Fireblast
05-22-2013, 12:19 AM
Cause it's cheapest/only one available in the AH?

~

MasterPlan
05-22-2013, 12:20 AM
I do not know if I want a signature on my card, but they already said each card would have a unique ID. Maybe there could be a lookup database to see the previous owners of any cards. That way the could just have the cards S/N listed somewhere unobtrusive.