PDA

View Full Version : Draft Costs

ShadowTycho
05-21-2013, 09:46 AM
So here is my worry:
the cost of the draft tournaments is 3 packs and a dollar, this dollar has to be paid with in game currency(platinum) and this currency has to be purchased from cryptozoic. this seems all well and good, cost of a draft is $7(3 $2 packs and a dollar) which is pretty cheap compared to paper drafts.
however, while the packs themselves can be traded and bought and sold among players for in game currency, i have seen no sign that the dollar entry fee can(maybe i didn't look hard enough)
this means that for a new player(who starts the world with a starter deck, a single booster pack and a dream) cannot participate in pvp without some sort of in game purchase.
Maybe this is how Cryptozoic wants to roll on this, but i would like to see players be able to participate in pvp without having to hand over money. That isn't to say that the dollar fee should be removed(maybe platinum will be tradable for in game gold) but i would like to be able to use my 300 packs gleaned from backing this thing to participate in 100 drafts without having to put another hundred dollars in.
Having pvp be more open and available make its more fun, more people involved(even at the bottom) makes competition stronger.

but i'm not super negative so here are some positive options to bat about:

1) remove the fee

hurts cryptozoics bottom line, makes pvp most accessible
2) increase the price of packs by 30 cents and remove the fee

packs more expensive but crypto does not take the hit, everything tradeable through the system they suggest is already in place
3) set up a system to allow platinum to be traded amongst players

more code to write and more work to do, adding features adds costs and time
4) have some sort of token that waives the fee that is obtainable in game(as a loot drop or tradeable item)

i don't know if this would be easier or harder to add to what the game has already smae problem as above

Anyway, me and my tinfoil hat are off to do other things.

-Shadowtycho

Tyrfang
05-21-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm pretty sure you can trade platinum.

Daer
05-21-2013, 09:51 AM
New players only get a free starter deck, no booster pack. And they can participate in PVP for free, just not in tournaments.

Yasi
05-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Too early to speculate.

Digital_Aether
05-21-2013, 09:53 AM
That fee is only for tournaments and is used to pay for the prizes (winners get boosters, possibly plat). There's a casual draft that has no prize, and no fee. Also, you can play constructed format matches without a fee as well. The fee is only on tournament modes that reward prizes. You can obtain platinum from other players through the auction house, but it may be difficult or expensive to find players willing to trade plat unless you're offering PvP cards.

Tyrfang
05-21-2013, 09:54 AM
The reason for the ticket is to self-fund the prize pool. If you roll that into the packs, you have a problem funding the prizes...

Kroan
05-21-2013, 09:56 AM
There's a casual draft that has no prize, and no fee. There is?

jtatta
05-21-2013, 09:59 AM
You can sell packs or cards on the AH for Platinum. I imagine many people will be attempting to sell their Primal pack for X amount of Platinum is fund their drafts.

Ash-Prime
05-21-2013, 09:59 AM
4) have some sort of token that waives the fee that is obtainable in game(as a loot drop or tradeable item)
i don't know if this would be easier or harder to add to what the game has already smae problem as above

Hmm... But what would they call this "token?" And what would it look like? Maybe, Platinum! And it can be shaped just like a card!

I say that, because I imagine the system will be very close to identical with MTGO and Tix. You will be able to collect and stock up Platinum just like any other cards or such. And it may exist in your inventory just as other cards. This makes it easy to trade and keep track of.

Digital_Aether
05-21-2013, 10:00 AM
I thought it was mentioned in a video, but it might have been a 'possible feature to come' or something. I haven't heard more about it since, but I can't imagine them not wanting people to draft with boosters in any form. In the end, fees are only on modes that have prizes, so maybe there isn't a fee-less draft, but I wouldn't know why.

Kroan
05-21-2013, 10:01 AM
I actually hope they implement platinum in a way that 100 platinum = 1$ and 1=1. That way you can sell cards in a better way than on MTGO where you basically have to use either bots or buy more than one card in one go :)

Pezzle
05-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Or just sell your stuff on a secondary market for cash which you can buy the platinum with. Either way works and Cryptozoic is ultimately fine with each result.

Kroan
05-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Is it confirmed that the AH trades in real money? I thought it would use either gold or platinum?

Pezzle
05-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Cryptozoic has said they are fine with you selling your cards in a system outside the game "cashing out". So in effect, yes.

Kroan
05-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Oh right, i would prefer the "secure" way of an in-game system though, so yeah :)

Pezzle
05-21-2013, 10:15 AM
We all would, but it may be unavailable for the foreseeable future due to legal tangles and such. Maybe that would be another stretch goal.

Kroan
05-21-2013, 10:17 AM
I don't see how trading cards for platinum would be any problem. I've seen that in a lot of games. Trading in-game for items for realy money is a whole different story though I agree :)