PDA

View Full Version : What's the true benefit of Grand King?

MugenMusou
05-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Obviously one has to be able to afford, and I am not sure if I include myself there.

Though as I was looking into it, it looks certainly a great package but not sure if it is truly worth the value (compared to combination of lower tier's, the actual value itself is great).

Let me explain my thought process.

If I want to have playset of exclusive cards then because of 660k strech goal now we would get 2 copies of PvE exclusive cards, so technically having Pro + King Tiers would get us the playset.

As far as the booster packs, you get 150+150 = 300 packs plus strech goals packs.
Grand King would give 150 + 90 (guild master bonus) + 50 (set.2) = 290 packs.

So at this point the price difference is 370 vs. 500 i.e. $130.

Obviously there are bonuses including 6 alternate art each year, raid and dungeon boosts. But Grand King alone won't give us full playset of PvE exclusive. Set.2 booster packs are great but one additional prime pack is at least worth 15 regular booster pack in value.

Am I missing something here? Or is it a preference of people trying to get raid, dungeon boosts?

Turtlewing
05-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Grand King is what you pledge if 3 or more of the $250 level perks are of interest to you, and you don't want to/can't afford a higher pledge.

[edit]
Of if you want a free draft per week, don;t want to gable on sniping a pro player, and can pull the trigger before GKs sell out.

houjix
05-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Pledge stacking decreased the value of GK. Now it's the only way to get the free draft a week "cheaply".

Showsni
05-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Grand King is more about one time only exclusives and less about more cards for less money. If you're just trying to maximise the number of boosters you can get for a set amount of cash it's not the best option, but if you want account flags and items that will never be available again it's the way to go.

Clawdius
05-21-2013, 01:09 PM
The collectors tier included in the GK also gives you a second set of all exclusive cards from the King level, including the Spectral Lotus Garden, and that 660k stretch goal gives you a third of all but the Lotus Garden. A lot of people overlook that.

Chance
05-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Say this game lasts 5+ years, PvP and PvE both are thriving. You have an account with lifelong untradeable perks that are never released again. That shit would be priceless, on the other hand if this game tanks or lives a modest life it'll be worth next to nothing. Such is investing and speculation.

In my eyes as an investor I get to use and play a great game with all of the best perks, if at the end it has value then that is icing on the cake!

Digital_Aether
05-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Grand king has a lot more bonuses focusing on the gameplay experience, not the dollars and cents. GM, DC, and RL all help you in PvE content when hunting down PvE cards or equipment or leveling up mercenaries and foiling cards. Collector is just that, people who want unique collectible art. If any of that stuff has value to you, you have to account for that. Personally, that stuff does have value to me as I intend to play a lot of PvE. I look forward to exploring the world of Entrath, and part timing the constructed / draft play.

MugenMusou
05-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys,

It makes sense. Everything eventually pays back and more if we play this game long enough and the game becomes big enough, which all of us here believes.

Turtlewing
05-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Grand king has a lot more bonuses focusing on the gameplay experience, not the dollars and cents.

I wouldn't say that. Long term having 1 draft/week and double boss loot will be more dollar value than the extra boosters. And the bonus XP, +1 card draw, and raid leader's blessing, are all "priceless" in the sense that by the time anyone can actually play the game it's impossible to get those bonuses without buying out a GK+ account. The Collector AA cards are going to be exceedingly rare (value may or may not follow).

[edit] also now GK's can point and laugh at anyone who's trying to snipe one since they're sold out

Digital_Aether
05-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Double boss loot isn't anything we can quantify into dollars and cents currently. It will definitely help the experience, but no one knows what kind of exchange rate there will be from PvE content to platinum. As I said, trying to compare worth is "If any of that stuff has value to you,", and for some it doesn't. If you're talking about selling the account, it may well then get back a monetary value, but I wasn't including that as an option, since he wanted a deal, never mentioned trying to make a profit on an investment.

Turtlewing
05-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Double boss loot isn't anything we can quantify into dollars and cents currently. It will definitely help the experience, but no one knows what kind of exchange rate there will be from PvE content to platinum. As I said, trying to compare worth is "If any of that stuff has value to you,", and for some it doesn't. If you're talking about selling the account, it may well then get back a monetary value, but I wasn't including that as an option, since he wanted a deal, never mentioned trying to make a profit on an investment.

We can't say: double loot is worth exactly $x/hour played no.

We can however extrapolate that since PvP cards are being handed out like candy in the KS while PvE cards are not, that PvE cards will likely be rarer (and you get twice as many of those every drop if you go Dungeon Crawler+). Not to mention gear, and gold.

Hadin
05-21-2013, 02:07 PM

Well as far as boss loot goes, I would like to point out that CZE felt that giving 2 legendary pieces of equipment was a substantial stretch goal perk, so they could be pretty difficult to obtain.

Digital_Aether
05-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Rare is not the same thing as valuable. A PvP'er won't ever be dropping plat on a PvE card, gear, or gold. That's just how that works, and they're likely a large portion of the plat market. Now of the base of PvE'ers, there's an amount that are willing to drop plat on PvE cards, and I bet it's going to be a bigger amount that most people expect, sure. If a dungeon takes 6 hours to run, and a perfect run has a 1 in 4 chance of dropping a piece of equipment, that time will be worth money to some. Those same people will be buying boosters to get cards for their decks too. After set 2 comes out, that PvE rarity may not be as big of a market influence as in set 1. There's not a good way to speculate the market value to others, in terms of long term monetary value. It's far easier to understand the value today to a person who wants to use the bonus, rather than market dynamics. I will entirely agree however, that the gap in monetary value between the DC and PP could be competitive or go either way. Odds are the optimum exchange in early game / set 1 would be to trade loot for boosters from KS backers (because of the excess), and then sell the boosters for plat to non-backers later. I don't think I disagree with you at all Turtlewing, except to say that we can't extrapolate out because we don't have our first data point or two.

Hadin
05-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Don't forget that a lot of players will be playing both PvP and PvE. On top of that, many players may have more money than time, and it is worth them to drop money into plat, and trade it for that PvE gear they want.

IndigoShade
05-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Don't forget that a lot of players will be playing both PvP and PvE. On top of that, many players may have more money than time, and it is worth them to drop money into plat, and trade it for that PvE gear they want.

Plus I'm still hoping there will be enough interest in PvP matches using both PvP and PvE cards to make it a viable tournament format.

Turtlewing
05-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Plus I'm still hoping there will be enough interest in PvP matches using both PvP and PvE cards to make it a viable tournament format.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. PvE stuff is looking like it's going to be full of the sort of shenanigans that makes the Type 1 "any card not on this surprisingly tiny banned list" format so unpopular for sanctioned Magic games.

But I guess you never know.

nearlysober
05-21-2013, 02:57 PM
What benefit? It's good to be the (grand) king (http://www.aidthoughts.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/history.jpg). What else do you need?

Hadin
05-21-2013, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. PvE stuff is looking like it's going to be full of the sort of shenanigans that makes the Type 1 "any card not on this surprisingly tiny banned list" format so unpopular for sanctioned Magic games.

I feel like PvP is leaning more towards standard in its game speed, but PvP + PvE seems like it would be more comparable to legacy, which a lot of players DO play.

Showsni
05-21-2013, 03:02 PM

Vintage is great fun; the problems making it so unpopular are because it's so expensive. I mean, have you seen what the Power 9 go for? (Of course, you can proxy your deck; but then it's probably not a sanctioned event.)