PDA

View Full Version : Can we sell on the market place for real money? Please clarify :)

havocattack
05-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Not sure if this has already been answered but I think its a question a lot of people would like to have answered.

Simply put, can we sell our boosters/cards for in-game for real money?

I think something like this is needed to support a healthy community, as if selling outside of the game there is always the potential for people being scammed and so on. If it is done in-game then there is the security and ease.

Personally I have done 3x pro tier and 1x grand king (most I've ever spent on a game :o) and am hoping to recoup a lot of my investment by selling off a majority of boosters and what not. Would have to have to use something like ebay and risk being scammed (paypal reversals etc)

Thanks for reading and everyone please post your thoughts on the matter :)

EDIT:: Another thing I have been wondering is, the beta in sept is for kickstarter backers only right? We get a few invites or something... so this makes me worry as the community will be relatively small because of this? Which means can't really sell much until the game goes live, which could be a long time?

Hopefully someone at cryptozoic reads this and can clarify these concerns ;)

MatWith1T
05-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Still TBD. All signs point to the market using platinum for currency, which can only be bought with real money. But it is still very vague what sort of redemption process there will be (if any) for converting platinum back to real money. There's lots of legal/gambling/exchange hurdles to clear that probably won't be solved in the very near future.

imacpc
05-21-2013, 03:39 PM
If we can't resell for money then I sorta feel sry for the ppl that drop 250+ on this game unless u like collecting pixels it will pretty much be guild wars with cards

Boojum
05-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Yeah, they've carefully avoided answering this question so far, so don't hold your breath. I expect it's something they'd like to be able to do, but aren't sure if they'll be able to clear the legal issues.

yovalord
05-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Though it doesnt look like we will get a legal way to "Cash out" I'm going to say i hope its a feature as well. Crypto has said they want to have real cash tournaments so, i hope that isnt something just exclusive to the huge tournaments. I would love to win like 3$ usd even for winning a draft (+ boosters and other rewards of coarse)

yovalord
05-21-2013, 03:43 PM
If we can't resell for money then I sorta feel sry for the ppl that drop 250+ on this game unless u like collecting pixels it will pretty much be guild wars with cards

Money is definitely something that varys from person to person. A 250$ drop can mean a lot, or very little to somebody. In my case it was a lot, but a friend bumped me up from 90 to 250 :D

Hadin
05-21-2013, 03:45 PM

Keep in mind many of these people dropping $250 are expecting to play it for a long time, and intend to spend money on it during that time. By spending the $250 now it will actually cost them less money in the long run.

havocattack
05-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Yeh, the money I have backed ($1250) is A LOT to me, I don't even have a job! I'm using my savings as I have confidence in the direction of the game and from everything I have seen I believe it will be very popular. While I still think I should make most of my investment back even if there is no way to sell in-game, it still will be risky, as there are dodgy people out there >_<

Hadin
05-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Yeh, the money I have backed ($1250) is A LOT to me, I don't even have a job! I'm using my savings as I have confidence in the direction of the game and from everything I have seen I believe it will be very popular. While I still think I should make most of my investment back even if there is no way to sell in-game, it still will be risky, as there are dodgy people out there >_<

As my sig illustrates, I'll be into this game for a grand myself. I've never thrown this much money into an online game, but given how much I've put into magic over the years (and how much I know I'll spend given my experience with being impulsive with MTGO), this seems like a very good decision on my part.

Jaydawg6958
05-21-2013, 04:07 PM
I think many of the people on upper tiers are banking on the real cash tourneys, and I think it will come to fruition. $250 doesn't seem like much when if you play a great deal of real life cards between gas to travel to stores or even going out of town for a bigger event can be spent on your plane ticket and hotel. If you play computer games like WoW expansions are like $50 each plus a $12 monthly fee that can add up fast, or console games which range from $40-$60. What it comes down to is how much will you get out of that money even if the game doesn't last very long?

Thrawn
05-21-2013, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't count on a RMAH at launch if we've heard nothing about it yet, but they have at least confirmed that they have no issue with people selling cards for $$ outside of game.

havocattack
05-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Yeh I am not counting on it, would be nice tho ;)

So, who wants to buy 400 boosters? and 12 starter decks? :D heh

imacpc
05-21-2013, 04:15 PM
im pretty sure they will have a rmah even though it wont be at launch or else they could of just made a $60 game with in game purchases if not there will always be a black-market once this game gets popular

HecatesLover
05-21-2013, 04:26 PM
I predict, based on what I have seen before we will be buying their currency and that currency will be used to buy packs and use the auction house. There will probably be minimal cross over between currency earned during the PvE campaign and this over currency. There will also likely be a way to sell a card to the game and get some of the currency that way removing the card from circulation (I expect us kickstarters to have lots of spare commons to do this with).

Hadin
05-21-2013, 04:32 PM
I predict, based on what I have seen before we will be buying their currency and that currency will be used to buy packs and use the auction house. There will probably be minimal cross over between currency earned during the PvE campaign and this over currency. There will also likely be a way to sell a card to the game and get some of the currency that way removing the card from circulation (I expect us kickstarters to have lots of spare commons to do this with).

I'm guessing we will be able to craft unused PvP into crafting materials as well.

Talreth
05-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Pls make more threads that have already been made

Sci3nce
05-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Yeh I am not counting on it, would be nice tho ;)

So, who wants to buy 400 boosters? and 12 starter decks? :D heh

I'll give you $200

dolan103081
05-21-2013, 05:19 PM
maybe the last stretch goal will be rmah lol

KingBlackstone
05-21-2013, 05:27 PM
maybe the last stretch goal will be rmah lol
Here's hoping. Nothing else could ensure the complete long-term success of this game.

havocattack
05-21-2013, 05:28 PM
I think if the last strech goal was steam support (could even use steams market selling feature) that would ensure long-term success easily :P

KingBlackstone
05-21-2013, 05:30 PM
That's definitely true. But I can't help but think of how many people flock to EVE online because of the RMT nature of the game. It would bring in a lot of players!

Kagim
05-21-2013, 05:38 PM
That's definitely true. But I can't help but think of how many people flock to EVE online because of the RMT nature of the game. It would bring in a lot of players!

Well, like people have said, CZE seems okay with people side selling cash/cards in a secondary marketplace. It solves most of the legal problems as it makes it no longer gambling. However it then turns it into a mild risk. I would like a cash out in case one day I want to sell a good card, but honestly with what I spend on video games its not really top priority for me.

I would rather the game not get classified as a gambling program and cut out half the playerbase.

Mugaaz
05-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Why are people still asking about this. THeyve said you buy platinum for real money, and then you trade in gold or platinum. Selling a card for platinum is selling it for real money. The only question is can you cash out platinum into real money? I REALLY doubt it.

Talreth
05-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Why are people still asking about this. THeyve said you buy platinum for real money, and then you trade in gold or platinum. Selling a card for platinum is selling it for real money. The only question is can you cash out platinum into real money? I REALLY doubt it.

Just so people could read it a second time.

Mike411
05-21-2013, 06:16 PM
"HEX will feature tournaments and events around the clock available worldwide. With real cash prizes, HEX is poised to be the definitive professional online TCG." per http://hextcg.com/game/overview/ - They sound confident they'll make this work.

swigmonkey
05-21-2013, 06:16 PM
I think some are also looking at it as an investment, if I play the game for 10 years (if it last that long) by purchasing two Pro Players, and the monthly VIP I have invested $1000.00 roughly, I say that is damn good investment for entertainment.

fido_one
05-21-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm just keeping it in the scope of my own finances. I figure if Hex lives up to half of the hype, as much as I hate to admit it, but I'd drop at least 500 in a year in moments of weakness (a.k.a. being drunk) if the game release comes around and I didn't invest in starters and boosters.

Put in now for the PP tier (or grand king) and generating platinum from other swaps (set 1 boosters I didn't use, maybe the lotuses) helps me get boosters I'd spend real money on down the road - with the kickstarter donation I can feel better about putting a 'no more than 100 dollars a year on hex', a.k.a. VIP program and 4 or 5 bucks a month beyond that. Given the base of the kickstarter rewards, I could come up with a relatively low spending number per year and stick with it (though I can't determine that number until the game settles).

yovalord
05-21-2013, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't count on a RMAH at launch if we've heard nothing about it yet, but they have at least confirmed that they have no issue with people selling cards for $$ outside of game.

When / where was this confirmed?

djlowballer
05-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Selling for Platinum is not selling for real money, its selling for Platinum. Without a mechanism to go back and forth between real currency and platinum there is no real cash value to transactions in platinum.

Deathfog
05-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Selling for Platinum is not selling for real money, its selling for Platinum. Without a mechanism to go back and forth between real currency and platinum there is no real cash value to transactions in platinum.

Think of it as selling for real money gift cards, platinum is good as cash so long as you use it on Cryptozoic stuff like packs/drafts/tournament entries, or Itchy and Scratchy Bucks that will be honored for any Hex related stuff. Playing Hex to make money off of it isn't probably going to be viable, speculation of this nature created the early/mid 90s boom and bust of MTG clones and comic books.

Its Crypto's job making money off of this, ours is to enjoy the game. Do you really want this to turn into something like WoW in the first few years invaded by screaming chinese gold sellers and farmers cluttering up chat, crowding spawns, and demeaning the game?

MasterPlan
05-22-2013, 12:04 AM
1.6 mil plat for 19.99 www.you pay gold.com safe and fun... I see that becoming popular in any global channels except with more engrish.

Also I am curious how Blizzard with D3's RMAH got around gambling laws.
As I type this I do not think the Auction house selling for real cash is the problem it would be the cash entry tournaments with a cash prize. I am not a lawyer though.

Cailin_Coilleach
05-22-2013, 01:20 AM
I do believe they (CZE) said they would not object to eBay auctions/selling of in-game assets. So if you want real money for your boosters, you can always sell them on eBay and then transfer them in-game between accounts.

Or does eBay itself not allow the sale of intangibles?

TexArcane
05-22-2013, 02:14 AM
I'd rather they'd not have a real money AH as that is going to attract cheating. Look what happened to D3.

havocattack
05-22-2013, 02:24 AM
apples and oranges my friend. for one items in d3 dropped like crazy and for free... stuff worth selling for real money in a tcg costs money oh and if their security has flaws and there are ways to cheat as you say, it will happen regardless if there is a rmah... is always secondary markets.

katkillad
05-22-2013, 03:44 AM
This is going to happen one way or another, honestly i'd prefer it if CZE gave us a secure way of selling/trading for real money and charge a small fee rather than using 3rd party sites where you are more likely to get scammed.

Thrawn
05-22-2013, 07:08 AM
I do believe they (CZE) said they would not object to eBay auctions/selling of in-game assets. So if you want real money for your boosters, you can always sell them on eBay and then transfer them in-game between accounts.

Or does eBay itself not allow the sale of intangibles?

It's an eBay thing because it's almost impossible to provide proof of delivery/receipt to them. So it's really easy for anyone that buys a digital object to just say they never got it and get a PayPal refund.

Examples of digitally delivered goods that can't be advertised on eBay:
MP3 music copied from a CD you own or recorded at a concert
eBooks you don't own the copyright to and aren't authorized to resell by the owner, the owner's authorized agent, or the law
Songs you bought from iTunes
Movies you copied from DVDs you own
Video games you copied from the original CDs
PDF files of product manuals or user guides that you don't own the copyright of or you aren't authorized to resell by the owner, the owner's authorized agent, or the law
Online gaming accounts or artifacts such as characters, currency, or other items in any format

Digital_Aether
05-22-2013, 07:26 AM
CZE has to be careful about legal codes in countries and states all over the world. I think they're working on finding a good balance, but just throwing it in as a feature would quickly get the game shut down or banned in a lot of places. Them providing any safe means of transferring money based on the game items would do that, even just officially acknowledging side channels even (no, it wasn't ever officially stated). I would love to see the AH have real money, as I think it would really bolster the game's economy and population. I'm perfectly content just spending money to play the game though, as I think it's great.

Maybe the legendary goal will be legendary, and be them throwing in platinum withdrawing into currency.