PDA

View Full Version : "Renaming" cards [RP Purpose]

Krenos
05-22-2013, 05:27 AM
Since not every named card is unique, the RP aspect of running four of them in your deck could be quite disheartening. Even the mightiest or most resourceful of generals couldn't find two of the exact same person[Let alone four]

Example, you are Role-Playing with a friend and you play Princess Victoria, next turn she is still on the field and you want to play another one. Nothing in the game would stop you from this, but its highly unlikely that you would have two of the same person on the battlefield in a real battle.

Suggestions:

-Allow us to rename cards at will[block offensive names and names of other cards to avoid confusion]
display the real name underneath or to the side.

-If we are using 4 of a Named card, after we play the first one the second one is renamed to "Student of" or "XXXX's Acolyte"

-Either way have an option to disable it for those who don't care about RP

It may seem like a small frivolous trivial issue, but it's mine.

MasterN64
05-22-2013, 05:44 AM
I really cant see much role playing going on with a TCG even if it is a MMOTCG. This is also another piece of software to code test implement and roll out that will do essentially nothing. Not to mention that most cards will simply be a generic name like say Dwarven Tinkerer and most if not all of the specific named cards will be unique. So unless you want to get names like Student of Dwarven Tinkerer its just not gonna work. Not to mention the artwork wouldnt change.

To each his own but this issue is just too small to worry about since the vast majority of people will probably not care enough to put the time into it.

jai151
05-22-2013, 06:24 AM
While it's not the case for that particular card, most named cards will be tagged "unique," meaning only one can be in play at a time. Most non-unique cards will be named generically.

Victoria and the like will be the very rare exception, not the rule

Tinuvas
05-22-2013, 06:30 AM
There is value in creating a 'unique' tag in game as it allows for slightly higher card power on certain cards. The unique tag keeps multiples off the table, lowering overall power. It's a balance thing and an in-game mechanic that works well with other TCG's. And it keeps us players always yearning to play more of those awesome cards!

Gen91
05-22-2013, 06:34 AM
I'm not into RP but I also thought about the Pincess Victoria (even one her abilties encourages you to have two or more),

It would have been better to name her [Princess of the house "what ever"] so there could be more than one.

ShaolinRaven
05-22-2013, 07:20 AM
Since the cards aren't completely finished they might end up being tagged Unique. Some cards are missing the PvE only marker, some might be missing the Unique tag. I hope any card with an actual name will just get a unique tag, you can still have more in the deck with Victoria to help get the card in the opening hand since the Unique tag would only apply to playing the card.

jai151
05-22-2013, 07:26 AM
Since the cards aren't completely finished they might end up being tagged Unique. Some cards are missing the PvE only marker, some might be missing the Unique tag. I hope any card with an actual name will just get a unique tag, you can still have more in the deck with Victoria to help get the card in the opening hand since the Unique tag would only apply to playing the card.

And, if you look at Victoria's equipment, Beauty, it seems designed around Victoria being unique.

Avedecus
05-22-2013, 07:28 AM
You know, not every TCG makes its named personalities unique. L5R for instance.

Turtlewing
05-22-2013, 07:30 AM
Well, it could be that Princess Victoria's parents subscribed to the George Forman school of child naming.

ShaolinRaven
05-22-2013, 07:31 AM
You know, not every TCG makes its named personalities unique. L5R for instance.

True, but we have already seen that Crypto does. The only question is if all their personalities are going to be unique or just some of them. It would be less confusing for new players if it was all one way or the other, but maybe some of their personalities will be unique and others won't.

houjix
05-22-2013, 07:36 AM
True, but we have already seen that Crypto does. The only question is if all their personalities are going to be unique or just some of them. It would be less confusing for new players if it was all one way or the other, but maybe some of their personalities will be unique and others won't.

WoW TCG has tons of instances of "named" characters not being unique. Lore characters and NPCs tend to get the unique treatment, but if a card is representing someone's player character, they often can have multiple in play.

ShaolinRaven
05-22-2013, 07:42 AM
WoW TCG has tons of instances of "named" characters not being unique. Lore characters and NPCs tend to get the unique treatment, but if a card is representing someone's player character, they often can have multiple in play.

But the equivalent representation of our player character for Hex is going to be the champion we pick for that deck and the abilities they bring to the table. So we will in essence have our player character as unique and none of the cards will reflect the player character aspect like WoWTCG does.

KingBlackstone
05-22-2013, 08:13 AM
I don't see a reason for a renaming function, when you could just as easily:

1) Not play a duplicate named card until the first one leaves the field
2) Don't put duplicates in your RP deck.