PDA

View Full Version : Free Draft Per Week Question

Saltywaters
05-22-2013, 11:11 AM
So, how will the free drafts be refreshed? Will it be 7 days from the moment they are used, or will it always reset the cooldown on 12AM Monday PST.

I'm personally for the fixed cooldown. Using your draft, then having the draft reset an hour later would be pretty slick.

ShaolinRaven
05-22-2013, 11:17 AM
We don't know, but it will probably be the fixed cool down/reset time. I'd prefer it that way as well since it gives people more options for varying their play time. It also is easier when someone can get a draft in without having to keep track of when they played last and when their timer is up and having to schedule a stricter individual draft time/day.

KingBlackstone
05-22-2013, 11:19 AM
We don't know, but it will probably be the fixed cool down/reset time. I'd prefer it that way as well since it gives people more options for varying their play time. It also is easier when someone can get a draft in without having to keep track of when they played last and when their timer is up and having to schedule a stricter individual draft time/day.
I have thought about this extensively, and I agree that a fixed day of the week would be the best. :)

ForgedSol
05-22-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm not so sure it would be best. It might be, I'm just not sure.

Part of the reason why free drafts are a good idea, is that it create a steady draft community at the launch of the game. Having a timer reset for everyone at the exact same time will front load when those drafts are used because many people will want to use them that first day. If the timer is different for everyone, the free drafts get spread throughout the week more evenly.

I'm not sure which is better, giving everyone a ton of boosters in each tier will give everyone a taste of drafting in the early days so maybe that doesn't matter so much.

jai151
05-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I think I prefer a "Free Draft" button with a one week cooldown.

Qorsair
05-22-2013, 11:43 AM
There are a few benefits of a 7 day cooldown on the "Use Free Draft" button. It will stagger the free drafts throughout the week instead of everyone drafting at the same time (less load on the server, more consistency throughout the week). It will also cause the free drafts to get consumed at a slower pace, and most likely use less than 52 per year because of the inability of most users to draft at the exact same time every week.

Now, on the community side of the argument, having everyone's timer reset at the same time could do wonders. If it resets every Wednesday (for example), you'd have everyone logging in every Wednesday to draft. Some MMOs use a similar method with Raid resets, getting everyone online on the same day to start their raids right after reset. They could even stagger the Free Draft reset and the Raid resets. Have the PVP people log in on Thursdays with the Free Draft reset, and the PVE people log in on Tuesday for the Raid reset.

Daer
05-22-2013, 11:44 AM
A fixed reset day is best.

leahcimbulwark
05-22-2013, 11:46 AM
A timer based on when you used it is a horrible idea for something like this. Say normally I play my free draft on Sundays, but one week I am busy and can't do it until Wednesday. Now I either have to wait an extra half a week (in the end loosing out on an entire draft cycle) or switch to Wednesdays instead. A weekly reset is far better in the long run. The advantages of this style far outweigh the disadvantages.

Essentially, with a cycle based on when it is used, any time that it is not on cool down is loss of value.

--LB

Edited: Spelling is hard.

Boojum
05-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I'm assuming and hoping that it will be one per calendar week, not a 7-day cooldown. I'd rather know that I can use my draft whenever I have time over the course of the week. A cooldown system would mean that if you don't use it right away when it's available, you're "wasting" days.

ForgedSol
05-22-2013, 11:53 AM
You're probably right. It's not like a daily cooldown where it doesn't matter so much. With a weekly one you could, and likely will, lose several weeks a year because of missing a day here and there, and it wouldn't feel like you're getting one free draft a week, and rather are getting free drafts that are at least 7 days apart. I'm convinced now.

jai151
05-22-2013, 11:59 AM
My only worry with a specific day system is having a glut of drafts all on the same day. But then I realized that people with free drafts would be in the far minority anyway, so carry on.