View Full Version : PvE Competition....

dogmod
05-22-2013, 11:30 AM
So they have already released a few ideas on how to implement PvE competition:

PvE Tournaments, guild and otherwise
Keep Defense
Playing as a raid boss/against PC raid boss
The Arena survival/highscore modes
(I would include collecting cards/equipment because it is sort of a form of competition)
And maybe more I have missed...

But lets be honest... while they haven't necessarily revealed all of their ideas/content for PvE the need for cooperative/competitive gameplay modes to keep this game interesting and vibrant for PvE as well as PVP... My one concern being that the dungeons/gameworld may not provide the general social interaction that other types of MMOs provide through these mechanisms...

So suggestions for PvE competitive/cooperative gameplay modes we would like to see implemented:

Dungeon Time Trial(Raid etc), high score as well as face off

High scores on dungeons (Least health lost, most damage done, highest momentum obtained, etc)

Guild competitions... guild tournaments, guild raid offs, similar to the PVP tournaments where you have a tournament where you can do as many matches over the course of 12 hours as you want but you have to weigh risk vs reward you could have guilds run raids using the same dynamic... A very hard raid tournament where guilds have to decide if they should run more raids because other guilds are being more successful or stop because of the risk of not completing the raid?

Foil only competitions

"Dungeon" tournaments... make it a tournament but where each person starts off at the beginning of a "dungeon" but each match is played against a real life opponent either using asymmetrical decks or identical decks... Lots of avenues to provide players preconstructed decks and put them into headsup competition

Have people both simultaneously playing against compute opponents with rotating point contingents... so you start off both against a NPC and the first point contingent would be: "You get 1 point for each damage you do", next pioint contingent would be "You get 1 point for each round you don't attack", "you get one point for each spell you cast", "you get 1 point for each point of damage you take", "you get 1 point for each amount of health you regenerate", "you get 1 point for each creature you play"... etc etc and so now you are playing not to lose against an NPC opponent while having an asynchronous competition versus a real life player using objectives outside of the normal 1v1 dynamic... Really fun stuff! And how do you design a deck for this type of competition? And are the rules that you each get the same number of rounds so if I die while in the lead that would end the game? Should I try and kill myself? This could be done not at the same time as well if it were implemented into the Arena setting as an alternate mode... Who can get the highest score using a predetermined rule order etc...

2 match asymmetrical competition... I start off as boss, then we switch and you play boss and the winner is the person who lasted longer or achieved more objectives.. or won faster etc

This is just an opening salvo... the possibilities are endless...

KingBlackstone
05-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Cool ideas! Yeah, there's definitely a lot of possibilities for this. I'm kind of excited to see how PvP using the PvE equipment and exclusive cards might work (as long as it's casual and not for money).

Gwaer
05-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Great ideas!

Yasi
05-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Socialization in any competitive environment is usually a really terrible idea.

On the other hand, it seems like HexTCG will be geared more towards the 30-50s age group.

dogmod
05-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Socialization in any competitive environment is usually a really terrible idea.

On the other hand, it seems like HexTCG will be geared more towards the 30-50s age group.

If you want to socialize without competition games are not always the best option, but that being said quite a few of these ideas are not directly competitive (high score boards, asynchronous competitions against NPC opponents, etc) and I would love also more cooperative only ideas. The idea of raid decks was huge... but there are more out there waiting to be thought up!

YouMustChoose
05-22-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm pretty sure the reason they haven't released any of that stuff is because they haven't tested a lot of it yet. They don't want to throw out an idea, find out in development that it totally sucks and then disappoint fans who put money into the KS thinking that would be a feature. I'm sure once the KS is done and the beta is out we'll see a lot more development ideas because they won't seem like promises anymore.

dogmod
05-22-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm pretty sure the reason they haven't released any of that stuff is because they haven't tested a lot of it yet. They don't want to throw out an idea, find out in development that it totally sucks and then disappoint fans who put money into the KS thinking that would be a feature. I'm sure once the KS is done and the beta is out we'll see a lot more development ideas because they won't seem like promises anymore.

Or because they haven't though it up yet! I am asking if any of you have any other sweet ideas? For an MMO like this it seems to me that the more games within the game, the more focal points there are for communities to form up around, the more community there will be over all and the better the game will hold up over time and attract a larger audience...

It's like the game of craps: At its simplest form you are trying to roll the same number twice before you roll a 7... But have you ever looked at a craps table? Those are the side bets, those are more focal points, those are the possibilities that keep a craps player at that table for 12 hours on end...

Hex the game is a pair of dice and what fun is it to think up all the myriad of side bets that you can possibly play with those set of dice.

caffn8d
05-22-2013, 11:47 AM
When I think multiplayer PvE, I think co-op. The more options for that we have then the happier I will be. Leaderboards and such would be ok too. They've never held any interest for me, but it seems others like them.

dogmod
05-22-2013, 11:48 AM
When I think multiplayer PvE, I think co-op. The more options for that we have then the happier I will be. Leaderboards and such would be ok too. They've never held any interest for me, but it seems others like them.

Sweet what do you want to see?

dogmod
05-22-2013, 11:55 AM
owever, it would be cool if they had multiplayer dungeons where instead of all players being in the same big duel with the boss, each had their own tasks to complete in parallel (such as one makes his way to the gatehouse to open the drawbridge, one fights off hordes of reinforcements, and another sneaks through traps to the treasure vault.) The success of each one could help the others, so they players are communicating and cooperating, but not bogging down the way a full four-way duel can.

From boojum on different thread... sounds sweet... you maybe can't deal damage to your monster until he finishes off there fight and you have to stall..

maniza
05-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Guild vs guild pvp or just masive pvp where instead of a dungeon we use a pvp arena as template where you fight in teams of x vs x and may have objectives. Ex capturing the flag or holding a position

jai151
05-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Guild vs guild pvp or just masive pvp where instead of a dungeon we use a pvp arena as template where you fight in teams of x vs x and may have objectives. Ex capturing the flag or holding a position

How in the heck would you do this with a TCG?

Gwaer
05-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Or they have this sieging mechanic built in already that could be used.

dogmod
05-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Or they have this sieging mechanic built in already that could be used.

They had candles before lightbulbs ;o

KingBlackstone
05-22-2013, 12:36 PM
How in the heck would you do this with a TCG?

I get what he's saying. Like the wins/losses of either side have an effect on some goal/event that takes place between the matches, I think?

jai151
05-22-2013, 12:40 PM
I get what he's saying. Like the wins/losses of either side have an effect on some goal/event that takes place between the matches, I think?

I just have this image in my head of a guy running with a flag and someone chasing him, wildly waving a deck of cards in the air and shouting, "DUEL MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

KingBlackstone
05-22-2013, 12:42 PM
I just have this image in my head of a guy running with a flag and someone chasing him, wildly waving a deck of cards in the air and shouting, "DUEL MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"
Hahaha. If only! :P

maniza
05-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Yes for example each team is asigned a 2 position holders that are matched against two position invaders and so forth after the round its over the postions you have ad points and carry over to the next round. I dont want to write all the details but it can be done you get the idea

Lochar
05-22-2013, 12:50 PM

I'm sorry, is this the Yugioh TV series?

dogmod
05-22-2013, 12:53 PM
An interesting card dynamic that would be hard to keep track of in a paper TCG but very easy in digital:

Name: I can count!

Enchantment

Even cost cards may only be played on even numbered turns, and odd cost cards may only be played on odd turns.

A second ability could if you wanted be: 4: Player(s) may flip even and odd in above text at any time
Or
Player(s) may pay 5(6?7? whatever) life to destroy this enchanment

Or you could have equipment add that modifier... Or instead of even/odd cost you say creatures/enchantments on odd turns, actions/resources on even yadda yadda.. If you are playing against an aggro deck either one of these could severely limit a player... oh your cost curve doesn't go much higher than 3? Every other turn you are losing out on 2/3 of playable cards... oh you are aggro creatures... every other turn you are losing out on playing new creatures... But you can pay 5 life! or a different one of those mechanism... FUN

ShaolinRaven
05-22-2013, 12:57 PM
I don't think you need competition in the PvE, just systems and ways to socialize while your out in the dungeons or what not. In a lot of MMOs PvE is more based around co-operative instead of competitive play. They can design more multiplayer dungeons down the road for maybe groups of 2 and increase their raid size in later expansions. They can have places in the world for PvE chat and socializing, etc. Of course emergent competitive play happens with things like guilds forming rivalries to beat a raid first and what not.

CoolGrayAJ
05-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Dungeon Time Trial(Raid etc), high score as well as face off

This is probably the only thing I disagree with as heavily favors rush decks over control decks in these Time Trials. I like having plenty of options.

dogmod
05-22-2013, 01:04 PM
I don't think you need competition in the PvE, just systems and ways to socialize while your out in the dungeons or what not. In a lot of MMOs PvE is more based around co-operative instead of competitive play. They can design more multiplayer dungeons down the road for maybe groups of 2 and increase their raid size in later expansions. They can have places in the world for PvE chat and socializing, etc. Of course emergent competitive play happens with things like guilds forming rivalries to beat a raid first and what not.

Need is all relative.. I personally find that after I complete most PvE campaigns the thing that keeps me enticed are the PvEP aspects of the game. And you can only reasonably create so much content, so reuitlizing that content in multiple ways is very important; this is the underlying reason mmos love achievements etc..

Another digital card mechanic:

Name: Unstable Crystal
Cost: 4?5?

Artifact
At the end of your draw phase each turn this card has an equal chance to produce one of 4 effects:
1. Generate 1 charge point
2. Generate 1/0 Mana
3. Draw 1 card
4. Discard 1 card

Equipment:
Unc: Change discard 1 card to no effect
Legendary: Apply effects in reverse to opponent after their draw phase

dogmod
05-22-2013, 01:05 PM
This is probably the only thing I disagree with as heavily favors rush decks over control decks in these Time Trials. I like having plenty of options.

I understand but I feel like many of the dungeons are going to force us into deck decisions we wouldn't normally make to complete their challenges... and what if the dungeon has mechanics that defeat rush decks very easily? Would it be fast to do rush decks or some other type of deck?

And honestly if it does boil down to rush decks, it is just one more game play mode and possibly not your favorite if so :)