PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Guild collection security

Temig
05-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Whether through hacking or social engineering by unscrupulous players, many guild banks throughout the history of MMOs have been wiped out in the past. It's a terrible feeling when you find that those items are gone and you can only hope that the GMs can go through their records and get things restored to you; and I can only imagine it's not all that much fun for the GMs to invest their time into such things.

I would love to see a feature that allowed cards put into a guild collection to be optionally tagged as belonging to the guild.
With this system, I would like to see the following:

Guild tagged cards cannot be traded to non-members of the guild, put on the AH, or otherwise disposed of
If a player leaves a guild, all tagged cards are immediately returned to the guild collection
The guild leader/anyone with proper permission may recall a tagged card to the guild collection at any time that it is not actively being played

I believe that such a system would allow guilds to function much more like local player groups function with the trading of cards as it would allow guilds to not have to worry about the effects of internet anonymity which allow people to feel like they can steal items because 'it's just online' and nobody really knows who they are so there's no accountability. It also removes a large portion of the risk of a guild collection being cleared out if a member's account is hacked, narrowing that risk to only the guild leader and any member who they have given permissions to 'untag' the cards. To reduce that risk even further, requiring any account with such permissions to have an authenticator or SMS authentication attached and re-verifying the authentication if the account attempts to untag cards would virtually remove the risk altogether.

I have no idea what, if any, plans are on the books for HEX with regards to security outside of authenticator support, but with TCGs historically having a fair amount of value attached to them I hope systems such as the one I am suggesting are explored.

Yasi
05-22-2013, 11:37 AM
?Isn't the guild bank feature going to be really simple where anyone can use the cards in it? Like more than one person can use a card in the bank even though there's only 1x of it?

Turtlewing
05-22-2013, 11:38 AM
I think the way they described the Guild bank was that you "checked out" cards or decks. In which case they don't get removed from the guild bank when you use them just get locked so no one else can use them until you check them back in (or get booted from the guild).

jai151
05-22-2013, 11:38 AM
The guild bank is going to be a check-out system. Ownership of the card never changes.

Digital_Aether
05-22-2013, 11:39 AM
The guild collection isn't actually a 'shared bank' like most games. You still are the sole owner of your cards, even if someone else is using them. That's why those decks can't be used in tournaments or anything like that. The collection is just a means to show / share / test decks different people have. Considering the value a TCG's cards can have, I'm sure that your concerns are why they wanted it this way.

Daer
05-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Since the only thing going in a Guild Bank is basically proxy decks this is irrelevant.

Temig
05-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Ah, I must have missed that info! Interesting to know... I'd still like to see something similar to this to allow actual card pooling for tournaments etc. then at some point since sharing cards as a community would really add more depth to being in a guild, I feel.

Obviously you could just trade cards to guildmates, but again, the inherent risk of doing so, especially online, may be a barrier to some of that interaction.

BossHoss
05-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Obviously you could just trade cards to guildmates, but again, the inherent risk of doing so, especially online, may be a barrier to some of that interaction.

Thats why they should implement public guild executions!

houjix
05-22-2013, 11:50 AM
The could insitute a lending feature that allows your friend to borrow a card but have not control over it other than putting it in a deck and playing with it. Put a set lending period on it and you don't even have to bug your friend about returning it.

BossHoss
05-22-2013, 12:14 PM
The could insitute a lending feature that allows your friend to borrow a card but have not control over it other than putting it in a deck and playing with it. Put a set lending period on it and you don't even have to bug your friend about returning it.

As long as it cannot be in the AH

I sell you a Lotus Garden and you didnt notice that it has a 24hr loan on it and yoink