PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Awaits

Shaqattaq
05-22-2013, 01:05 PM
by Drew Walker

Much like any good adventure, though, the thrill of discovery isnt the only motivating factor. The secret treasures of the world lie in the deepest and darkest dungeons, places long forgotten or guarded by powerful creatures that will do whatever it takes to keep those treasures as their own.

http://hextcg.com/adventure-awaits/

aoineko
05-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Very exciting! Can't wait to play through this!

MastrFett
05-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Me too. Dungeons are looking really good in this game.

Daer
05-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Great article, looking forward to learning more about the PVE side of the game.

ramseytheory
05-22-2013, 04:04 PM
The single most exciting sentence in the article for me was small and well-hidden: "(Note: these cards are for the AIs deck in this dungeon. They cannot be obtained by a player.)" If every dungeon has its own special cards to play with that human players can never obtain, that changes everything. The PVE game becomes legitimately different from "PVP against the AI with special conditions". You have a whole new design space to play with - you can have cards doing things that would be horrifically unbalanced in PVP, but that a well-specced hero with a carefully chosen deck and equipment can deal with.

To me it sounds like if Cryptozoic can get a demo stream of a single PVE encounter up and running by the end of the Kickstarter, and it fulfils its potential, they'll drown in money. Even moreso than now.

Korangar
05-22-2013, 04:13 PM
@ramseytheory - Every dungeon does contain cards that are specific to that dungeon and are not available as PvP cards. In order to make the thematics of each dungeon work correctly, and to provide cards that have the ability to offer different experiences with each playthrough it is almost required to have such a thing be true :)

kiisama
05-22-2013, 05:19 PM
That Tectonic Break card is terrifying.

WaylandX
05-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Great Article, cant wait to play the PvE dungeons!
With the A.I. having its own cards to use that makes a lot of cards for this game.
Both card previews were great.

DanTheMeek
05-22-2013, 06:45 PM
That Tectonic Break card is terrifying.

The main thing terrifying about it to me was the cost... 8!? I admit I've been out of cards for a few years now but back when I used to play games with similar resource systems, unless you were both playing reallllly casual, really defensive decks, or under some sort agreed on truce rule like no attacking before turn 10, you just didn't see things that expensive get played. We really dont' have much to go off for how long games will last in hex with so few videos of actual play, but the stream did illustrate pretty well how hard it can be just to get even 6 resources out unless your getting resource flooded at the exact same time that your opponent is getting resource screwed.

I guess I kind of feel under whelmed by the card. Its a wrath of god thats based on luck and thus could completely fizzle with bad luck, or worse, only blow up your own troops. Wrath has a converted mana cost of 4... so why is this Tecatonic Break converted cost 8 and seemingly inferior? The only thing I can surmise is that it was balanced around its effect if you have its legendary equipment as that effect is indeed terrifying. While it would be boring as sin to play, I could see some one playing a deck entirely with high toughness walls and resources and tectonic break with the goal of surviving till they can tec break, and then hoping their opponents deck gets milled into oblivion while their high defense walls get lucky and survive. Really slow, really boring, still relying on a lot of luck, but at least it would be a pretty unique strategy I guess...

Erebus
05-22-2013, 07:14 PM
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Chlorophyllia_Gear_Web.png

And assuming that's not the only wild card of that type, I assume they have a play style like Magic's Green, efficient beastly creatures and acceleration.

Grissnap
05-22-2013, 07:49 PM
I also wrote a bit about tectonic break in my blog... but I pretty much agree that the cost and randomness element make it unlikely to see tournament play. It might be one of the few mass troop destruction actions available to wild in this set, so if massive stacking of 1 cost or 2 cost troops is a common element in the meta, it might see some value (especially if you are making a deck based on large attack/health creatures). Still, even if you have a 9/9 theres still that 10% chance you lose him too.

Edit:

Also:

The single most exciting sentence in the article for me was small and well-hidden: "(Note: these cards are for the AIs deck in this dungeon. They cannot be obtained by a player.)" If every dungeon has its own special cards to play with that human players can never obtain, that changes everything. The PVE game becomes legitimately different from "PVP against the AI with special conditions". You have a whole new design space to play with - you can have cards doing things that would be horrifically unbalanced in PVP, but that a well-specced hero with a carefully chosen deck and equipment can deal with.

To me it sounds like if Cryptozoic can get a demo stream of a single PVE encounter up and running by the end of the Kickstarter, and it fulfils its potential, they'll drown in money. Even moreso than now.

THIS.

alpha5099
05-22-2013, 11:20 PM
I hope we see more PvE previews in the coming weeks. Because, to be perfectly honest, that's what sealed the deal for me when it came to backing Hex. If this game were just a digital TCG, I'm not sure I would've given it much thought. It was the MMO half of the game's pitch, the PvE side of the equation, that got me excited, that got me to put money on the table.

I'll leave the debates about the PvP half of the game (which I fully intend to enjoy, mind you) to others, I'm far more concerned about what I'll be doing when I finally get to roll Dwarf and Coyotle champion and start adventuring. I want to know more about the dungeons we'll be facing, the locations we'll be exploring. Give us more on the PvE interface, on character creation, on lore.

Jaysei
06-01-2013, 05:46 PM
I guess I kind of feel under whelmed by the card. Its a wrath of god thats based on luck and thus could completely fizzle with bad luck, or worse, only blow up your own troops. Wrath has a converted mana cost of 4... so why is this Tecatonic Break converted cost 8 and seemingly inferior? The only thing I can surmise is that it was balanced around its effect if you have its legendary equipment as that effect is indeed terrifying.
It's worth noting that Wrath has single-handedly defined creature decks in Magic for the entire history of magic. Every synergistic effect, every tribal deck, every single deck based around building up armies of creatures has to ask themselves "what happens if my opponent casts wrath?"

If you look at the cards that they've had to print to allow tribal decks to power through Wrath, from Bitterblossom to Rofellos magic is defined by the insane efficiency of Wrath. 4 mana destroys every creature, be it 1, 5, or 10 (note: It's efficient even if it destroys 1 4 mana creature). Every fatty has been measured against its ability to function past wrath.

With two entire races (Machines and Rabbits) being built around assembling armies by bits and pieces, there is NO WAY they can print something as absurdly powerful as Wrath. It will completely invalidate those decks in every way.

Note: Wrath is one of the defining cards of M:tG (Along with Counterspell, Grizzley Bears and Lightning Bolt). How those cards and how creatures as a whole have changed over the years defines the power level of Magic. And of those cards, Wrath is the one where, transported into other games, becomes the most absurd effect (there are games where Ancestral Recall would be fairly balanced but Wrath would break the game in half).

Estar1
06-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Except they did print a slightly weaker wrath in blood - Extinction (5 cost instead of 4)

TheWrathofShane
06-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Except they did print a slightly weaker wrath in blood - Extinction (5 cost instead of 4)
5 is a good spot for wrath in hex. Gives swarm decks an extra turn to try to "Race against the wrath". And I like how hex puts the wrath into blood instead of diamond, way more flavorful. Now blood will truly be the king of creature removal, with murder and extinction.

Fingers massively cross that diamond does not get void with a "drawback" for 1 mana at quick action speed. If you want to make diamond the poster for void, thats awesome. But lets price it correctly please.

Personally I think basic action "void target troop" for 3 mana and 2 diamond threshold would be good. Or perhaps 4 mana cost...

Fireblast
06-09-2013, 07:02 AM
I hope there'll be a swords to plowshares/Path to Exile like card :D

~