PDA

View Full Version : Tablet Support

Bloodiron
05-22-2013, 01:16 PM
With the tablet support...would that include Kindle Fire HD? I know it was made as a "budget" tablet and it's primary function is as an eReader, but it does run Android (very sneakily).

Do you guys think the Kindle Fire HD will even have the stones to handle Hex?

ForgedSol
05-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Considering the Kindle Fire HD was constantly compared to the Nexus 7 as a close second as the Android tablet to get. I'd be surprised if it wasn't included. Amazon sells a lot of tablets even if they're splitting off their own direction in Android. (I'd be surprised, but it would also be understandable if they did it because of that OS splitting.)

Tathel
05-22-2013, 01:27 PM
I think spec wise it may work... I think the fire is somewhat comparable to some of the tegra 3 based tablets. But i don't really know the exact specs.

distribution wise I don't have a kindle but have heard they don't use the play store? So that might be an issue but since the game is free there is no reason they can't just also distribute the apk outside of the play store, or i'm sure you could find someone clever enough to hand the apk off to you.

Lidralyn
05-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Do we believe the Ipad Mini will work fine? I know spec wise it is basically an IPad 2....so far it runs most everything I've seen, but I have seen a few games no longer support Ipad 1...afraid that soon IPad 2 will get the boot...

havocattack
05-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Great news :) Just ordered a FREELANDER PD80-HD the other day (only cost me $87 US)

Operating System Android 4.1
CPU Type Quad Core
Processor Model Allwinner A31 Cortex A7 quad core
Processor Speed 1.4GHz (Max)
GPU SGX544MP2
Memory 2GB
Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
Capacity 16GB
Extend Card Type TF/Micro SD
Max Extend Card Capacity 32 GB
Other Functions Wi-Fi / Dual cameras / HDMI (1920x1080p) / OTG / G-sensor / Multi-touch screen
Screen Size 9.7 Inch
Resolution 2048 x 1536

Should run it fine :D

Gwaer
05-22-2013, 01:36 PM
where do I get one for $87?

Schweinebub
05-22-2013, 01:36 PM
distribution wise I don't have a kindle but have heard they don't use the play store? So that might be an issue but since the game is free there is no reason they can't just also distribute the apk outside of the play store, or i'm sure you could find someone clever enough to hand the apk off to you.
Yeah, that is really the issue for Hex with the Fire I believe. They will have to get the game in the Amazon app store, which I believe is not hard compared to itunes, but still an additional barrier to overcome

havocattack
05-22-2013, 01:40 PM
where do I get one for $87?

I had a coupon for $100 off :P (dealextreme stuffed up a 50% off sale recently and cancelled everyones orders because massively oversold stock, so as compensation they gave out 15% gift card codes based on your cancelled orders total price)

Gwaer
05-22-2013, 01:41 PM
I'll buy yours for 100 bucks =)

TheMuffMuff
05-22-2013, 02:05 PM
We'll see how the engine works on mobile devices. I worked on some andorid projects (informatic student) and i think they need to reduce mosts the effects. The current problem is android tablets are so different in hardware specs.

i'm so glad with the tablet support - thats the future! Crossgaming!!! :D

Shinjica
05-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Here where i live we only use wi fi connection for our tablet so, if HEX will work offline too in the tablet i'll use it.

Xenavire
05-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Kind of sad this doesn't include the stronger smartphones - I will likely continue to get smartphones, but I am sure I will never buy a tablet - I would rather use my PC. I mean if I can run the newest Android, it would be nice if they could attempt to add a scaleable interface someday so I can at least TRY to run it.

Not complaining though (primary PC user) but I kinda hope they add it later, even if not at launch - might be fun to try it on a handheld device.

Talreth
05-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Kind of sad this doesn't include the stronger smartphones - I will likely continue to get smartphones, but I am sure I will never buy a tablet - I would rather use my PC. I mean if I can run the newest Android, it would be nice if they could attempt to add a scaleable interface someday so I can at least TRY to run it.

Not complaining though (primary PC user) but I kinda hope they add it later, even if not at launch - might be fun to try it on a handheld device.

I know right? I currently don't even have a smartphone, but am due for an upgrade this summer. Guess I'll get a tablet so I can play in class (cause who needs a laptop).

Gwaer
05-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Ah, talreth my old friend.

A lot of people use tablets instead of laptops for school, just get a bluetooth keyboard and you're set. It'll be great. =)

Bloodiron
05-22-2013, 02:17 PM
While I'm looking forward to playing on my Kindle (if it works that is), I'm almost mostly looking forward to being at work, getting an idea for a deck and then being able to just load it up on there and have it be ready for when I get home (another thing to do during those pesky business meetings!). This works too when I'm at my girlfriend or buddy's house.

Xenavire
05-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Well, I will be more than satisfied if I can deck build from my phone - I don't need the tablet side to go over to phones if it is going to cause problems for them (UI scale for example) but if they try and succeed, it would make a LOT of people happy!

I imagine only 1 in 10 people who have a smartphone actually own a tablet. Or some other low number like that.

Talreth
05-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Ah, talreth my old friend.

A lot of people use tablets instead of laptops for school, just get a bluetooth keyboard and you're set. It'll be great. =)

Lol, at my school it's literally all macbooks. I called IT and said I was on a desktop and they thought it was a school computer. That's how many people have laptops :(. But yeah I'd rather have the tablet anyways, if I can get an okay one for cheap (maybe if my mom upgrades).

KingBlackstone
05-22-2013, 02:23 PM
I've got a laptop, but no tablet. Hmmm.. might be time to change that! :) Or, at least, around Christmas time. lol

TheMuffMuff
05-22-2013, 02:36 PM

The prob. is the inch of a smartphone. I own a Galaxy Note 2 and im thinking its also too small for hex. But u can run tablet apps on smartphones too (with little tricks)

Tyrfang
05-22-2013, 02:39 PM
I believe it's up to Amazon to allow the product onto their marketplace, rather than the other way around. If it runs Android, it shouldn't be an issue.

Erebus
05-22-2013, 02:45 PM
It's bad, I'm honestly thinking of purchasing a tablet just to play this game more often.... I think I need to seek professional help for my TCG addiction.

Cornholio666
05-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Here where i live we only use wi fi connection for our tablet so, if HEX will work offline too in the tablet i'll use it.

Other than deckbuilding or a solitaire mode I don't know how it would run offline? They will need a server connection to run client & their AI, initiate matches and dungeons.

Willzyx

There's just about zero chance Hex will support offline. Wouldn't really make a lot of sense.

Lochar
Hello Devs, I would like to see the tablet app ported over to Google Glass, please. :)

Xenavire
05-22-2013, 02:49 PM
The prob. is the inch of a smartphone. I own a Galaxy Note 2 and im thinking its also too small for hex. But u can run tablet apps on smartphones too (with little tricks)

I have Sony Xperia T, I think I could run it fine, but as for seeing it (based on what we have seen so far) might be an issue if they don't scale the UI. If they do, I imagine it could run natively no problem (and I would rather running it natively than using tricks to run it, out of preference).

But like I said, if phones get an app to build decks etc, it is more than enough.

Digital_Aether
05-22-2013, 02:53 PM
It's bad, I'm honestly thinking of purchasing a tablet just to play this game more often.... I think I need to seek professional help for my TCG addiction.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I've wanted an excuse to get an iPad because my Android phone can't play nearly as many games. I think this might well be enough to push me over the edge.

Marsden
05-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Just thought - the tablet support likely means that even if I'm away from home I should be able to login to get my Garden's producing their Lotuses for the day even if I don't have time to play :)

Chance
05-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Soooooo even phones like the S4/HTC one with 1080p 5inch screens?? :( sad fucking day

Xenavire
05-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Soooooo even phones like the S4/HTC one with 1080p 5inch screens?? :( sad fucking day

Unless they say so, it sounds like you might need to find 'other' ways to play it on your phone.

jai151
05-22-2013, 03:03 PM

I have a Note 2 and I couldn't imagine the pain of trying to play it on that small a screen.

Bloodiron
05-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Besides deckbuilding and maybe solitaire, I wouldn't want to use a smartphone for Hex. I already have an addiction for MtG, and now all my MtG buddies are getting sick of me talk about Hex. I can't imagine what they would do if between games with them I just whip out my tablet/phone and start playing Hex.

While I'm thinking about it though, the does anyone know the minimum requirements to play Hex? I haven't seen anything anywhere about it, I just want to see if my laptop is powerful enough to play it or if I have to move my computer build time frame up a few months.

BigAl
05-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Would like to see this come to Windows RT. My Surface wants some love too.

Jarad
05-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they were using Unity as the engine for Hex (judging by the gameplay footage at least). And these are the platforms Unity exports too. http://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform/

As you can see iOS and Android are already supported out of the box (as is Linux). In the coming months Unity will also add support for Blackberry 10 and Windows Phone 8 deployment, so this could be an option in the future.

If they do indeed use Unity, I am kinda wondering what that "veteran mobile team to put HEX on tablets" is going to do exactly. :)

maniza
05-22-2013, 04:42 PM
I dont want a port i want a mobile version optimized for the format and that takes advantage of the features tablets and phones offer on the go

Bloodiron
05-22-2013, 04:42 PM
If they do indeed use Unity, I am kinda wondering what that "veteran mobile team to put HEX on tablets" is going to do exactly. :)

Make little unlockable alternate art cards, all featuring Cory in his wig and full make-up. Think about it. You score a lot of damage with Pack Raptor's, boom it's now Pack Cory's.

KingBlackstone
05-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Is an iPad mini too small of a screen to enjoy this on, I wonder? There's a BUNCH of knockoff tablets with the same size screen as the Mini for like $60.

Tinuvas
05-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Is an iPad mini too small of a screen to enjoy this on, I wonder? There's a BUNCH of knockoff tablets with the same size screen as the Mini for like $60.

I've got one (cheap knockoff Android tablet), and up until this announcement, it worked great. But 7" for ME just doesn't cut it for something as rich and visually deep as Hex promises to be. I will have to upgrade. *sigh*

Note that I think Hex would work fine on a 7" tablet, but I really want to enjoy the art that Crypto has put so much effort into getting out there for us.

Ebynfel
05-22-2013, 05:30 PM
I've got one (cheap knockoff Android tablet), and up until this announcement, it worked great. But 7" for ME just doesn't cut it for something as rich and visually deep as Hex promises to be. I will have to upgrade. *sigh*

Note that I think Hex would work fine on a 7" tablet, but I really want to enjoy the art that Crypto has put so much effort into getting out there for us.

Glad I bought my Note 10.1 for sketching and doodles. Has new purpose:)

Willzyx
05-22-2013, 06:13 PM

This.

VVV

i want a mobile version optimized for the format

stephenhii
05-22-2013, 06:27 PM
I am the only one who is not sold on this idea? :s

How can one chat with guildies without a keyboard? For cards, stats, information viewing is fine... but that only requires an app, not a full-fletched game.

elsimer
05-22-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm hoping my Nook Color will work fine. If not, I also have an Asus Transformer that should be great.

Deathfog
05-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Best thing to get if you don't already have a tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, you can find refurbs on Newegg/Groupon at times for around $250 or less as the Note 10.1 is out and Tab 3 is coming soon. These have one of the prettiest screens you've ever seen.

Ebynfel
05-22-2013, 06:59 PM
I am the only one who is not sold on this idea? :s

How can one chat with guildies without a keyboard? For cards, stats, information viewing is fine... but that only requires an app, not a full-fletched game.
It's still possible to do, especially if you run, say a VOIP app like Skype or Ventrilo over the cell. Onscreen keyboard can help when out of game. all in all, it's possible. Or, if that stuff isn't for you, thne talk at home, and PVE on the tablet when you're away. Plus, not everyone enjoys these functions, they are still possible though,even without bluetooth keyboards(which they do make) for tablets.

stephenhii
05-22-2013, 07:22 PM
To each of his own I guess.. my non-3g iPad Mini is not connected all the time especially when I commute around the city.

The arts are a beauty, I would want at least 21'' to play the game :cool:

Miwa
05-22-2013, 08:12 PM
I really hope that they use the port for Windows 8 touch (Windows App Store apps). And then push the button to also release for RT. I have not much hope in this, though, as they'll probably just hire some iOS geeks. There are some better android tablets coming, but the ones are still not great.

There are a *crapload* of touchscreen notebooks coming out, and all of them would benefit from a proper touch-enabled app.

MugenMusou
05-22-2013, 08:13 PM
To the opener, just wait until actual HEX gets released. In a few weeks, new Nexus 7 will be released which will be more powerful than pretty much any other tablets for hardware spec wise but the price should be $199-$250. And since it is the most popular android tablet, it should be supported. And of course with the newer version release, you should be able to grab the older version even cheaper.

Do we know if tablet support is coming along with the official launch of desktop? or Later time?

elsimer
05-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Do we know if tablet support is coming along with the official launch of desktop? or Later time?

My understanding is that the stretch goal is for tablet support to be included as close to release as possible, which is why it specifically says they'll "bring on a veteran mobile team to put HEX on tablets." I read that to mean contract it out to a veteran mobile team instead of doing it slower in-house, or they'll hire a team specifically dedicated to mobile instead of having it on the wish list but I could be mistaken in my assumption.

MugenMusou
05-22-2013, 09:49 PM
My understanding is that the stretch goal is for tablet support to be included as close to release as possible, which is why it specifically says they'll "bring on a veteran mobile team to put HEX on tablets." I read that to mean contract it out to a veteran mobile team instead of doing it slower in-house, or they'll hire a team specifically dedicated to mobile instead of having it on the wish list but I could be mistaken in my assumption.

That make sense. Now this part is even more important. Do we know if we can play Hex offline? I think tablet support is phenomenal, but offline with mobile really makes me happy. Because I want to play PvE story mode on offline when there is no internet connection, then back home play PvP.

Gwaer
05-22-2013, 09:50 PM
They have said there will be no offline play. The server handles all the stuff of running the game. It's actually a very very complicated AI to keep all the cards straight. Offline play is also a huge security issue for hacking and duping. So everything is authenticated at the server.

MugenMusou
05-22-2013, 10:00 PM
They have said there will be no offline play. The server handles all the stuff of running the game. It's actually a very very complicated AI to keep all the cards straight. Offline play is also a huge security issue for hacking and duping. So everything is authenticated at the server.

Oh.. I was afraid of that. I hope they would come up with some solution. I know by no means its a compatible game but Shadow Era has offline play.

What they do is, during off line mode, no matter how much you win against AI you do not get in game currency. Its just a play.

For HEX, may be they could at least do deck building/viewing/AIDA offline. Then someday, download a dungeon to play offline.

WSzaboPeter
05-23-2013, 12:11 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they were using Unity as the engine for Hex (judging by the gameplay footage at least). And these are the platforms Unity exports too. http://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform/

Actually deploying on a specific platform is way more complicated than simply pressing a button in Unity. The user experience needs to be adapted to touch screen devices, you need to conform the guidelines, etc. Not to mention testing and bugfixing, especially in case of android…

Jarad
05-23-2013, 02:55 AM
Actually deploying on a specific platform is way more complicated than simply pressing a button in Unity. The user experience needs to be adapted to touch screen devices, you need to conform the guidelines, etc. Not to mention testing and bugfixing, especially in case of android…

Sure, it isn't as easy as pushing a button. Ehmm... Well, from experience I can tell you, the actual deployment in Unity is as easy as pushing a button. :) Yeah, you need to take care of stuff (smaller textures, less draw calls, less fillrate, optimized shaders etc) because of the limitation of the hardware, but Unity does a great job at eliminating most of the nasty technical stuff you usually would have to go through. Most of the times "it just works", but after this you have to spend time optimizing your game. And optimizing your game is also pretty straightforward to do. Take the lowest system you want to run it on and start optimizing and getting those frames per second up. ;) And the bonus you get from this could also mean your game will use less resources on desktop systems, so it can also run smoothly on that crappy old laptop.

I agree with the adaption to the smaller screen with touch. Great tablet games aren't just 1:1 ports from the original, but specifically tailored to use on a tablet. Some things work on a tablet and some things don't. And it takes time and experimentation to get it right if you want to make something which feels great. Optimizing the UI is where a lot of this work will be in.

What I was specifically talking about is "veteran mobile team to put HEX on tablets". And the point I was making is that you don't need a veteran mobile team (which I guess is some kind of The A-Team, for mobile) to export your game to iOS/Android if you are using Unity. And again, this is assuming Unity is used. Yes, it takes time to perfect, but the same people who build the game are the same people who can do this. You don't need tons of specific platform knowledge and years of experience. To do it faster (at beta or release) you will need more people working on it, true.

But to me it kinda sounded like some extra flavor was added to the "legendary" stretch goal to make it sound more epic. :) And although it's awesome we will get Hex on tablets, I didn't think this would have been the legendary tier. Blizzard's upcoming TCG Hearthstone will also be available on PC, Mac and iOS, because they are also using Unity. And I'm fairly certain Android and Linux support will also eventually come to that game. Most of the times it's one of the reasons for using Unity in the first place. But you know, it's all marketing, and I'm not grumpy or anything. I'm really excited to play Hex, pledged more money than I ever pledged on a Kickstarter, and think this game will be awesome. I just couldn't resist to share this little piece of information. If only to figure out if they actually use Unity for production or only for the prototyping of the game. :)