PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you get foiled

IndigoShade
05-22-2013, 03:47 PM
So as you play your cards gain exp and turn into foil/ alt art cards, right? It's an interesting mechanic, but I was just thinking about it earlier and it got me to wondering if it would actually prevent me from enjoying playing with my foil cards.

What will you guys do once that happens? Play with your awesome new foil card and basked in teh prettiness or shove it to the side and start leveling up another non-foil version? ;)

Lochar
05-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Depends on the card. Common/Uncommon I'd probably swap out until I got a full playable set of four shinies.

Rare/Legendary I doubt I'll have enough to do that. :D

Digital_Aether
05-22-2013, 04:01 PM
I assume you can toggle the art / foil status. If that's so, I intend to keep a playset of 4 of each card as the only ones I use, that way I can see statistics for the life of the account. It'd be fun to see how much damage a 1 cost, 1/1 would do through the life of an account / set.

MrCwis
05-22-2013, 05:38 PM
for commons and uncommon i'd be swapping them every time I got them to foil, as for rares I doubt i'd have enough to do it with. then make a nice shiny contribution to the deck bank of my local guild.

Lochar
05-22-2013, 05:40 PM
You know, I realized something. What do I do when I get foiled?

Curses. Foiled again.

Ebynfel
05-22-2013, 05:42 PM
You know, I realized something. What do I do when I get foiled?

Curses. Foiled again.

+1

Seriously though, I like the idea of being able to turn them back. i like playing with matched cards, and if I am forced to play foil versions, then I could see myself having issues, unless I have each copy of that particular card in my deck foil.

ShaolinRaven
05-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Interesting question. I suppose if I have a deck that is really working I'll keep it together, especially for decks built for constructed tourneys and try and get the entire deck to its foil state.

I will be trying to get at least one of every card as a foil and alternate art simply for collection/achieve purposes.

RECHiD
05-22-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm really hoping they allow you to toggle off some of the upgrades. One of my deck building habits is to sometimes include 4 different versions of a card. In MTG, say I'm playing 4 Deathrite Shamans. I'll play one English Non-Foil, one English Foil, one Japanese, and one German. I fully realize that this is giving away free information, and that strategically, this is considered an inferior way to play.

I get a kick out of it though, and it actually does provide useful information to yourself if you're considering alternate builds. For example, I'm building and testing a new deck in HEX. The card Giant Corpse Fly has given me mixed results. I know I like having it in my deck, but I'm not sure if I feel comfortable playing 4 in the upcoming tournament. I am considering running a second Shadowgrove Witch in it's place. I only own 4 copies of the Corpse Fly, all foil. I toggle off one copy's foil attribute. Now, when I play the 3 foils and one non-foil, I can keep tabs on it's performance. Every time I draw the non-foil Corpse Fly, I can think to myself, "How would the Shadowgrove Witch have been instead, given the current game state?"

Something to consider, and I hope they allow toggling enhanced attributes off. :D

ShaolinRaven
05-22-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm really hoping they allow you to toggle off some of the upgrades. One of my deck building habits is to sometimes include 4 different versions of a card. In MTG, say I'm playing 4 Deathrite Shamans. I'll play one English Non-Foil, one English Foil, one Japanese, and one German. I fully realize that this is giving away free information, and that strategically, this is considered an inferior way to play.

I get a kick out of it though, and it actually does provide useful information to yourself if you're considering alternate builds. For example, I'm building and testing a new deck in HEX. The card Giant Corpse Fly has given me mixed results. I know I like having it in my deck, but I'm not sure if I feel comfortable playing 4 in the upcoming tournament. I am considering running a second Shadowgrove Witch in it's place. I only own 4 copies of the Corpse Fly, all foil. I toggle off one copy's foil attribute. Now, when I play the 3 foils and one non-foil, I can keep tabs on it's performance. Every time I draw the non-foil Corpse Fly, I can think to myself, "How would the Shadowgrove Witch have been instead, given the current game state?"

Something to consider, and I hope they allow toggling enhanced attributes off. :D

I do the same thing as regards to different cards, though for me I focus on different art or foil/non-foil vs language editions. I love having 4 of the same card and they all look different.

Ebynfel
05-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Well ,I have another use for using 1 off versions ,so it's not so bad. If I am testing a card as a replacement, like going from 3-4 of in a deck, I'll replace it with an off version so I know"I replaced X card with this, would I rather have this or X card here more times than not?"

It's a helpful tool in playtesting, IMO, but when I hit the tourney, I like matched sets. Playing your way, regardless of how you do it, is always the best way. I just personally like the unity of having same version cards in a deck, if I have enough of said version that is.

Pezzle
05-22-2013, 06:26 PM
You sell it.

ramseytheory
05-22-2013, 06:36 PM

That's a really nice idea!

Emitan
05-22-2013, 08:30 PM
In actual TCGs I prefer non foil cards to be honest. I will probably continue to use the same card just for the stat tracking.

Patrigan
05-23-2013, 12:35 AM
I will probably use the foil versions in the actual tournament deck and non foil versions in less important events/PvE/Friendly matches.

That way I can keep track of how my cards perform on the higher level, while still levelling lower levels for selling.