PDA

View Full Version : What features do you want in the mobile version

maniza
05-22-2013, 04:39 PM
I would like to start by saying im realy exited by this i think that it shud not suport play in phones but they could pull of a deckbuilding tool off the top of my head and ah browsing. Pad play suport but i want to hear any inovative ideas you guys might have that make use if the tablet or phone format

ramseytheory
05-22-2013, 05:05 PM
As far as I'm concerned, there are only three things they need to do for the tablet port beyond making it functional:

- Adapt it properly to the new interface. A tablet app doesn't work with a mouse-driven interface and vice versa (witness Windows 8, Unity and GNOME 3). In particular, the interface for deck construction needs to be sensibly done and the likelihood of input errors in play needs to be minimised.

- Make sure that if I'm playing a match on the train and I go through a tunnel then I can reconnect. IIRC they said the already have a pretty robust reconnection facility set up, so this shouldn't be an issue.

- Have a good tutorial (not just an afterthought) for people completely new to TCGs. One of the main benefits of coming to tablets is getting exposure on the App Store and its Android equivalents. Right now there's just no decent TCG on the platform, so the market is wide open. The more welcoming the app is to new players, the more of them we bring into the community.

Ebynfel
05-22-2013, 05:38 PM
All of them.

Seriously though, the mobile version should connect to the full game experience as if I was at my PC, just on a smaller screen, maybe slightly less for graphics. If I cant PVE or PVP or do something i otherwise could do when playing, then it seems to me that it would feel more like a support app rather than a full fledged mobile supported game. Not askign for anything over and above what we see i nthe PC version, but I do want to see the functionalities of the PC version present.

Bloodiron
05-22-2013, 05:49 PM
I think with this final stretch goal, they're only going to support PC and tablets. Further down the road, I can certainly see them adding a mobile app. And by then, they'll have more powerful tech to work with than they do now.

While it would be freakin' awesome to play Hex on a mobile phone, I really don't see it being that practical unless the graphics are seriously taken down to fit everything into view, almost like a card game on a GameBoy or DS (small thumbnails of the cards and then you touch them to get a zoomed in look).

Something else that should be considered as to why a Mobile app featuring full game play might be a bad move: battery life. Hex is looking to be huge, almost colossal. Running a game will absolutely DECIMATE your battery after any length of time playing it. Sure, handset battery tech has gotten better and will continue to improve, but I don't think they have the capabilities to handle a game like Hex on them.

Ebynfel
05-22-2013, 06:00 PM
I dont think that'll be too difficult of a problem for most people on tablets, Bloodiron. As it sits, most of the number crunching will be done server side. Yeah, games use battery due to the touch/graphics alone, but it should be no worse than any other decent game on the tablet of your choice.

As for the mobile phones, i specifically expect tablets in particular myself. As I have one ,i see no reason to play on the phone in any case, and am not sure I would really want to. Do I think it's possible? Yes. Will I personally see any reason to do it if I have my tablet handy? No.

Bloodiron
05-22-2013, 06:06 PM
I dont think that'll be too difficult of a problem for most people on tablets, Bloodiron. As it sits, most of the number crunching will be done server side. Yeah, games use battery due to the touch/graphics alone, but it should be no worse than any other decent game on the tablet of your choice.

As for the mobile phones, i specifically expect tablets in particular myself. As I have one ,i see no reason to play on the phone in any case, and am not sure I would really want to. Do I think it's possible? Yes. Will I personally see any reason to do it if I have my tablet handy? No.

As far as the tablets go, I completely agree with you. Tablets shouldn't have a problem. Just when I think of mobile I think of my phone, not my tablet/Kindle. I apologize for not clarifying that.

Ebynfel
05-22-2013, 06:08 PM
As far as the tablets go, I completely agree with you. Tablets shouldn't have a problem. Just when I think of mobile I think of my phone, not my tablet/Kindle. I apologize for not clarifying that.
It's not an issue, I normally do as well, but didnt here specifically because of the tablet support mentioned thus far.

Also, many others think the same way, and I was more clarifying my point of view as my suggestion was much more tablet centric than phone centric.

Beastmaster
05-22-2013, 09:13 PM
IRL Tournament Mode - Tablet (mainly) displays player hand (and battlefield where required) and Computer/TV/3rd tablet displays the battlefield for IRL spectators. (Browser based would be awesome :) )

*I want to put a tv under a glass table and have a massive game of Emperor EDH when they implement multiplayer*