PDA

View Full Version : Final Stretch Goal Disappointment

Taurentipper
05-23-2013, 03:07 AM
I was about to become a backer. Iíve been watching the kick-start since day one and been planning to back a Guild leader tier and 5x King for my 5 friends. Iíve been waiting until tonight as I get paid at midnight. Now i have seen this ĎLegendaryí stretch goal I think I might not bother. Tablet support I really couldnít care less if it never happened let alone being pushed forward by this stretch goal.

To me it seems like they just ran out of ideas and motivation so we will do something that will make all the kids want to pledge. Tablet omg I can play this while being at school. Itís not a legendary goal for me or my friends, if i want to play a £1 game ill play on the tablet otherwise itís a pointless goal for me personally.

I donít speak for everyone nor do I claim to but to me this is a massive disappointment after watching these goal become visible I feel really let down by this final goal. If it was something aimed a bit more towards PC game play / something i could have used or seen IE visual effects or something i would have backed tonight for me and my friends. I might not back now and just play the game on release .

Merir
05-23-2013, 03:10 AM
Keep in mind that the last stretch goal also added 364$ of pure value to the Guild Leader tier. It's absolutely massive value to back this game during the kickstarter, with all the free cards and perks you'll get.

Voices
05-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Have a look at tablet sales vs laptop vs desktop sales right now and what is projected for the future. That they were going to add Tablet support was a given anyway. That they bring it in early on is just good for all of us in a more general sense, that is, more potential players. Also, I suggest to the OP that you think about what Kickstarter is all about.

Yasi
05-23-2013, 03:26 AM
Boo hoo

Digital_Aether
05-23-2013, 03:32 AM
Also keep in mind that a LOT of people have been asking for tablet support. Not every goal is for every person, but this one was a big deal to a lot of folks. It's also going to mean a lot more people playing Hex when the game comes out. Personally I like the idea because that means I could play local games with my friends. I don't have extra computers that run windows laying about the place, but I could grab a tablet here or bring one with me. Since it's free to play, they can get an account and get playing with me for free. A lot of how I got started in TCG's was people pulling out a few decks and letting me play against them when I stopped by their house.

GhundiPI
05-23-2013, 03:34 AM
What I do not understand is in what way did the game as it was presented to you a day ago, differ from the game now? So you were prepared to pledge from what you had seen already, what has changed in the game that made you decide not to? Tablet support will not effect you in any way, except maybe that there will be more people to play against, which can only be a bonus for the entire community.

Fact is though that if you miss out on this Kickstarter, the bonuses and value offered will never come back again. Of course this is a pure personal decision, but with the high probability that Hex will become the biggest online TCG for years to come, that is quite a decision to make.

BohemianStalker
05-23-2013, 03:42 AM
Try to see the bigger picture..it will bring more players and maybe even you on day appreaciate tablet support while playing on pad or touchscreen! Its just comfy, its not that only kids would do that.

Yasi
05-23-2013, 03:49 AM
What I do not understand is in what way did the game as it was presented to you a day ago, differ from the game now? So you were prepared to pledge from what you had seen already, what has changed in the game that made you decide not to?

Exactly. I feel like people who are complaining are trolling at this point.

Khazrakh
05-23-2013, 03:49 AM
And even if it would be used mostly by kids (and I highly doubt that) - what's the harm? Tablet support equals more people playing the game and that's good for everyone. Some people really seem to miss what Kickstarter is all about.

Grissnap
05-23-2013, 03:56 AM
I think people just wanted a super huge promise that would blow their mind, rather than the realistic but somewhat challenging goal of what Cryptozoic put down.

Crypto for their part are more concerned with living up to their promises and delivering the content that they can in the timeframe they have, and later adding more and more content as things progress. I'll take their version of legendary any day of the week.

QuantumZeruul
05-23-2013, 04:18 AM
I think people just wanted a super huge promise that would blow their mind, rather than the realistic but somewhat challenging goal of what Cryptozoic put down.

Crypto for their part are more concerned with living up to their promises and delivering the content that they can in the timeframe they have, and later adding more and more content as things progress. I'll take their version of legendary any day of the week.

Agreed. Much better to have a realistic goal that they can actually reach with the money that we are donating to their project than something off in the distance that there is no hope of being able to accomplish soon or accomplish at all. I like to know that the money I'm donating is actually being approprately assigned and rationed rather than being wasted on a frivilous endeavor.

Personally I really like the idea of Tablet support being pushed as far forward on their timescale as this lets them do. That kind of talent is not cheap, and without the initial backing you would probably be looking at a year plus down the road for integration or outside investment from an angel investor or a company with much deeper pockets (read Hasborg or EA) at least. It's also better to get it in place early so that you have a much more limited base of interactions to deal with; it will make updates to the platform that much easier going forward.

This also gives me a reason to get a tablet. I've been on the fence post, but if this launches with tablet support, I'm sold. I like the idea of being able to play Hex from my living room while watching TV and doing other stuff. Or playing a game while on lunch at work.

Mike411
05-23-2013, 04:30 AM
So, to sum up what the thread creator is saying: "Before this stretch goal, I was planning on supporting the game. Then they announced some new rewards and features and now I don't want to." - Makes sense, hurrrr.

Taurentipper
05-23-2013, 04:39 AM
As I said tablets were going to be added anyway so why make that the final goal. I thought the last goal would have benefited the people who have already pledged ok 2 free boosters and the extra tournament. How dose adding tablet support help or benefit people who don’t have tablets and only PCs? This goal should have been like 2-3 goals ago and something that made the INGAME play better. Anyway I’ve had my rant and to be honest I’ve been waiting for a game like this for years and ill not let a kick starter goal disappoint me who know we might not even make it there.

GhundiPI
05-23-2013, 05:22 AM
As I said tablets were going to be added anyway so why make that the final goal. I thought the last goal would have benefited the people who have already pledged ok 2 free boosters and the extra tournament. How dose adding tablet support help or benefit people who don’t have tablets and only PCs? This goal should have been like 2-3 goals ago and something that made the INGAME play better. Anyway I’ve had my rant and to be honest I’ve been waiting for a game like this for years and ill not let a kick starter goal disappoint me who know we might not even make it there.

While something related ingame would have been great, there are no rules that dictates on how a company should set-up their stretch goals (especially since stretch goals are an added bonus and are not required at all). In fact, if you look at the computer game Kickstarters, you'll see that most of them have stretch goals (even final stretch goals) often relating to either multiple language or multi-platform support.

And as I said in another thread, for CZE tablet support from release is one heck of stretch goal for them to make. Yes it would have been done eventually, but would have taken months and extra resources which can be spend on the game itself when the goal is reached. So yes, everyone really does benefit. From more players active to more resources available for the game itself, what is not to like about it?

Still, I think you are doing the right thing in not letting this opportunity go by. The stretch goal may not be entirely to your liking, but the game most certainly will.

Yasi
05-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Just stopping by.

Taurentipper
05-23-2013, 05:47 AM
While something related ingame would have been great, there are no rules that dictates on how a company should set-up their stretch goals (especially since stretch goals are an added bonus and are not required at all). In fact, if you look at the computer game Kickstarters, you'll see that most of them have stretch goals (even final stretch goals) often relating to either multiple language or multi-platform support.

And as I said in another thread, for CZE tablet support from release is one heck of stretch goal for them to make. Yes it would have been done eventually, but would have taken months and extra resources which can be spend on the game itself when the goal is reached. So yes, everyone really does benefit. From more players active to more resources available for the game itself, what is not to like about it?

Still, I think you are doing the right thing in not letting this opportunity go by. The stretch goal may not be entirely to your liking, but the game most certainly will.

TBH i had in my mind maybe last goal would be bumping the beta sooner. Im bored and cant wait for this. Pledging at midnight not going to let myself get in my way if you know what i mean.

Yasi
05-23-2013, 05:51 AM
TBH i had in my mind maybe last goal would be bumping the beta sooner. Im bored and cant wait for this. Pledging at midnight not going to let myself get in my way if you know what i mean.

That's really what I thought it would be as well. With the money they're getting, you would think they'll hire more people. They have around 40 people working at Cryptozoic.

Mavian
05-23-2013, 05:55 AM
Money and resources doesn't mean faster development cycles, just better produced products (or that's the hope). Especially considering they don't get the funds til June. Beta in September. Hiring someone new to develop who has to come in, learn the code base, and start development, they likely wouldn't have any real impact on development til October.

GhundiPI
05-23-2013, 05:59 AM

I actually had the same hope of an earlier beta, and secretly wished for something alpha related. But ah well...

I have pledged on a few Kickstarters and followed a huge amount over the last year, and I'm still of the opinion that this is one of the better run Kickstarters out there. It is clear that CZE had a fixed plan in mind for this project, but even those preparations did not help them once it went beyond their expectations. I think in the circumstances they have done exceptionally well and there is the still the second half, and many updates, to go. Who knows what will happen...

D34thD34ler
05-23-2013, 06:04 AM
This whole thread, OP aside, looks like a show of support for Cryptozoic. Could we get more posts under a less negative thread title about this? I think this person had the right idea with their thread:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23931

DarkSeverance
05-23-2013, 06:12 AM
With the money they're getting, you would think they'll hire more people.They are hiring more people. They are actually hiring a team to handle the mobile side of things. I don't think people realize how big Tablet support is. For people that said well it was coming, coming soon(tm) usually means 2 years out honestly. Them actually being able to hire a team to handle the mobile side means they bring someone in who already programs with it. They can focus on everything else instead of splitting focus.

Also tablet support is HUGE! It makes tournaments easier. For game stores that want to run in-store tournaments (yes its a thing), it is so much easier with tablets than a LAN group. Tablets reaches a much LARGER market. A larger market means more players, more tournaments and potentially a much better return on everyone's investment. I don't really think people understand from a business perspective, from a player and longevity perspective how good this is.

This whole BS about it it was coming is just that BS. Honestly if it takes 2 years to bring tablet support, it will hurt the game and that is what it was looking like without the stretch goal. If it brings it to launch, even greater. Although I'm more realistic to think it'll probably come 6 months after launch given the experience I've had with CZE and the scope of the project.

All in all it means a better product because they don't shift resources.

Tinuvas
05-23-2013, 07:34 AM
...Im bored and cant wait for this. Pledging at midnight not going to let myself get in my way if you know what i mean.

I'm going nuts waiting myself. Haven't been this excited about a release in...well...never?