PDA

View Full Version : Nonbasic Resource Spotted!

brynsul
05-23-2013, 04:03 AM
Sorry if this was already posted but I just noticed what appears to be a non basic resource in the Auction House image on the Kickstarter!
http://i.imgur.com/D9oCJ6r.jpg

notice the card in the upper left... looks like a special diamond sapphire rare resource!

anyone have either a better img of this guy or any other non basic rescource?

Merir
05-23-2013, 04:11 AM
Damn! Well spotted! It says:

If you have [diamond threshold] or [sapphire threshold], .......
[sapphire threshold], charge your ......

Hibbert
05-23-2013, 04:12 AM
Quick, someone call a fictional forensics team from a television crime procedural. Enhance! Enhance! Enhance!

Fireblast
05-23-2013, 04:13 AM
One have been spoiled on the forums too.

Produces 1 Threshold of your choice
Doesn't produce Mana the turn it enters play
Charge your hero

~

Patrigan
05-23-2013, 05:08 AM
One have been spoiled on the forums too.

Produces 1 Threshold of your choice
Doesn't produce Mana the turn it enters play
Charge your hero

~

Where was this spoiled? Link?

Yasi
05-23-2013, 05:22 AM
I also remember seeing it somewhere. I can't tell you where though.

Fireblast
05-23-2013, 05:23 AM
Where was this spoiled? Link?

Post from Tim Rivera somewhere on those boards

~

jai151
05-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Post from Tim Rivera somewhere on those boards

~

It was in the thread about rare/legendary resources

infam0usne0
07-01-2013, 08:01 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this says. If you have a [Diamond] or [Sapphire] Gain either [Diamond] or [Sapphire], charge your champion.
Basically a resource that only generates a threshold if it's not the first resource played, but you get the option to choose.

Jbizzi
07-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Holy Necro Batman!

Punk
07-01-2013, 08:23 AM
I suspect this will not be from the first set though. In a video, they did mention there would only be 1 (maybe 2) non-basic resources in the first set but that it was going to be seen in future sets.

Good eye though!

Avaian
07-01-2013, 08:46 AM
I suspect this will not be from the first set though. In a video, they did mention there would only be 1 (maybe 2) non-basic resources in the first set but that it was going to be seen in future sets.

Good eye though!

It is set 1, you can see the set 1 mark.

Shadowelf
07-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Nice catch :) And to think it was in front of our eyes the whole time for almost 2 months :p

ZeroCool
07-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Good find sir!

Punk
07-01-2013, 01:23 PM
It is set 1, you can see the set 1 mark.

They did state that they had moved a few cards from Set 1 to Set 2 in the same video that they said that the first set was only going to have 1 (possibly a second) non-basic resource.

Either the assumptions you can gather from my previous statement is true, or they are were mistaken in their answer from the Twitch Q&A.

If this is in Set 1, then they will at least have 4 more in this set for color balancing purposes.

Shadowelf
07-01-2013, 02:20 PM
If this is in Set 1, then they will at least have 4 more in this set for color balancing purposes.

If they follow mtg's pattern they will definately do it; btw is the name of the card 'ascendant brilliance' ?

Bossett
07-01-2013, 05:37 PM

Not necessarily - other colours may get different options, like creatures that give you a permanent bump in threshold when the come out; not every colour needs to have every play style available to it.

Patrigan
07-01-2013, 10:53 PM

Not really, sets are designed in blocks. So the color balancing can be regarded over the whole block.

Shadowelf
07-02-2013, 12:34 AM
Not really, sets are designed in blocks. So the color balancing can be regarded over the whole block.

Hmm possible but given the fact that the next set is almost a year away, getting all resource fixers now is also a possibility

Punk
07-02-2013, 08:38 AM

Correct. Sets are designed in blocks and are balanced individually and as a whole. I would highly question the logic of any R&D team if they released a Sapphire/Diamond resource in set one while waiting until set two for any other ones. This is not balanced and is also why we have never seen MTG ever do this in any block. Ever.

Hibbert
07-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Not all color fixers need to be cycles of every possible combination. If it's design policy for certain color combinations to be more compatible or for one color to get access to color fixing when others don't, I don't think that's unprecedented.

Ravnica spread it's best color fixers over the entire block. There were some other color fixers in the first set(since it was a very multicolor heavy set), but not all the shock lands were released til the other sets. There are also cards like Birds of Paradise, which allow green to be better at color fixing than other colors.

Vorpal
07-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Yeah... I wouldn't expect every combination. We've seen pretty clearly that certain shards for certain races synergize well with other certain shards.

I might expect to see the following:

blood/ruby
blood/wild
diamond/sapphire
diamond/ruby

I wouldn't particularly expect to see, I dunno, wild/diamond

Punk
07-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Not all color fixers need to be cycles of every possible combination. If it's design policy for certain color combinations to be more compatible or for one color to get access to color fixing when others don't, I don't think that's unprecedented.

Ravnica spread it's best color fixers over the entire block. There were some other color fixers in the first set(since it was a very multicolor heavy set), but not all the shock lands were released til the other sets. There are also cards like Birds of Paradise, which allow green to be better at color fixing than other colors.

Yep, this is a great example. All 10 combinations were added over throughout the entire block. Five in the first set and the other five in a later set in the block. They released them this way to spread it out throughout the block and they did five at a time so each color has an equal amount of dual lands.

Yeah... I wouldn't expect every combination. We've seen pretty clearly that certain shards for certain races synergize well with other certain shards.

I might expect to see the following:

blood/ruby
blood/wild
diamond/sapphire
diamond/ruby

I wouldn't particularly expect to see, I dunno, wild/diamond

The only combination that you would be missing to make this assumption reasonable would be a Sapphire/Wild resource. This would balance it so each color has two.

Patrigan
07-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Updated the wiki page with a quick hack job for Ascendant Brilliance, take a look:
http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Ascendant_Brilliance

BlackRoger
07-03-2013, 01:25 AM
Am I the only one who is NOT excited about multi-color lands?

I'm not a tcg veteran, so I've been watching alot of MTGO matches lately to get a feel for it.
It seems that just about every deck there is made completely out of dual-lands, to the point where 3/4 color decks are the mainstream.
It also means that deckbuilders can just hand-pick the best cards from every color for their decks, and so every control deck has a thrugtask, restoration angel or a supreme verdict.

I think this feels really bland and losses the feel every color was meant to bring to the game.
I would understand wanting to have some mana fixing for your deck, but having an entire deck made of multi-colored lands doesn't feel right - why even make basic resources if you're gonna render them useless.

I vote for having multi-color lands not charge your champion, or some other restriction that will keep people from hoarding them and ignoring basic resources.

ustrucx
07-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Multi color lands are very important, theres always a sacrifice to make when using dual lands in mtg, it may be speed or life and the same will be true in HEX I supose, also when you destroy a dual land it hurts much more and might just win you the game if the oponent doesnt have the time or life left to make up for that color.

With only the first set of cards available using only 2 colors may be limiting in strategies until a new set come and add more cards to each color, the same reason wy the best dual lands in mtg are the ones from the first set. And lets not forget multi color cards =].

About the card itself, looks really powerful, if it really is "as long as you have X or Y gives whatever".

Aethnen
07-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Yeah, good eye on spotting this. These are absolutely necessary in Set 1 IMHO to make many decks viable. If they really pushed these out to Set 2, they're making a mistake.

Punk
07-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Yeah, good eye on spotting this. These are absolutely necessary in Set 1 IMHO to make many decks viable. If they really pushed these out to Set 2, they're making a mistake.

What? Why in the world would this be a necessity in Set 1?

I could see having a City of Brass type card in the first few sets.. but if they did not add dual lands in the first block, I would not be upset from a Personal or R&D perspective.