PDA

View Full Version : PVE and PVP what would be more fun

purple-one
05-23-2013, 07:40 AM
I was wondering what would be more fun to play.

PVP against PVE

PVP nice meeting new people by tournaments and draft. Can be difficult but after a time in a non-draft tournament most of the players have the same deck because it works it best. In stead van "rogue decks"where the player plays with is on idea of a deck.

PVE Would by difficult later on otherwise Cryptozoic not include gear for the player and pure pve cards. Sure with $400 on cards it would by easy at start and mid-game.

Personally i want go for PVE because your always want to create a better deck with your gear of cards you find. And you must change tactics by a new dungeon or raid.

I hope that PVE is hard to play for more fun always win getting boring sometime lose is fun because you can learn of it.

Yasi
05-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Try both and see what you like.

jai151
05-23-2013, 07:42 AM
I think both will have their merits, and I plan to spend time on both aspects of the game. Neither will be "more" fun on its own, that's all up to the individual.

Yasi
05-23-2013, 07:43 AM
I think both will have their merits, and I plan to spend time on both aspects of the game. Neither will be "more" fun on its own, that's all up to the individual.

PvP will be garbage for awhile though because people like to take 5 minutes on their turn. And there wont be a ranking system to weed out the doobie people.

purple-one
05-23-2013, 07:46 AM

I agree i will also play a lot of both. Just want to known what everybody says and why.

houjix
05-23-2013, 07:46 AM
PvP will be garbage for awhile though because people like to take 5 minutes on their turn. And there wont be a ranking system to weed out the doobie people.

Then you will win a lot of games due to the clock running out. Unless I'm testing with friends (or even then) I'm playing with the game clock on. People will learn to play faster pretty quick.

Yasi
05-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Then you will win a lot of games due to the clock running out. Unless I'm testing with friends (or even then) I'm playing with the game clock on. People will learn to play faster pretty quick.

There are like 6 different actions per turn per player and then there are reactions to each others actions. You can pretty much stall for a very long time. People like to win more than learning something.

jai151
05-23-2013, 07:48 AM

There will be a ranking system, and we've already seen there are timers. Regardless, I'm not sure where you have problems with people taking time for a turn or why that would be a problem just "for a while."

And what's a doobie person? I mean, I know what a doobie is, and I know what a person is, and I know what you get when you put the two together, but unless they're taking 5 minutes to take care of the munchies, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at...

Parallax
05-23-2013, 07:50 AM
PvP with gimmicky PvE decks. Build a control deck with Glorfenbort and cause a stink.

Grissnap
05-23-2013, 07:52 AM

And what's a doobie person? I mean, I know what a doobie is, and I know what a person is, and I know what you get when you put the two together, but unless they're taking 5 minutes to take care of the munchies, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at...

He's talking about these people:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTCyO9MpGUM

jai151
05-23-2013, 07:54 AM
He's talking about these people:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTCyO9MpGUM

If the Doobies are joining the game, I'm in!

Not that I wasn't already...

Turtlewing
05-23-2013, 07:54 AM
I'd bet that PvE is more interesting as every dungeon and raid has it's own meta-game. That will encourage redesigning decks and improvising tactics in a way that PvP with it's slower changing meta-game will not.

However PvP will have more replay value as it doesn't rely on being a "puzzle" that looses it's challenge once you figure it out.

So long term it will depend on how quickly new dungeons/raids are introduced and how much variety theres is in the PvE design space. for which will be more fun on average.

Yasi
05-23-2013, 07:55 AM

There will be a ranking system, and we've already seen there are timers. Regardless, I'm not sure where you have problems with people taking time for a turn or why that would be a problem just "for a while."

I can't wait to play against you in Hex. I'm going to have a field day with your butthole. *slrup*slrup*

houjix
05-23-2013, 07:56 AM
There are like 6 different actions per turn per player and then there are reactions to each others actions. You can pretty much stall for a very long time. People like to win more than learning something.

Are you familiar with a Chess clock system, because that is what they are going to use. You have 30 minutes for all your actions. period. So does your opponent. When your 30 minutes are up, you lose. You can't stall in a game like this.

Yasi
05-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Are you familiar with a Chess clock system, because that is what they are going to use. You have 30 minutes for all your actions. period. So does your opponent. When your 30 minutes are up, you lose. You can't stall in a game like this.

Oh. I didn't know that. That's pretty awesome. Most games I've played, it has been 1-2 minutes per action. Thanks for the info houjix.

Would it be a viable strategy when your opponent is about to win the game for you to take the rest of your 30 minutes in hope that the other player d/c or lose patience? Like, there is 25 minutes left in the game and you're about to lose. Instead of reacting to their action, you go afk for the next 25 minutes in hope that the other player leave.

Tyrfang
05-23-2013, 07:59 AM
Don't you get a few seconds per turn once you run out of time? (In Chess.)

Viable Strat: In tournaments they have to wait for others anyway.
Good way to piss someone off and get reported for poor sportsmanship, though.

Yasi
05-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Don't you get a few seconds per turn once you run out of time?

This changes everything.

Malicus
05-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Don't you get a few seconds per turn once you run out of time? (In Chess.)

Viable Strat: In tournaments they have to wait for others anyway.
Good way to piss someone off and get reported for poor sportsmanship, though.

I believe you do in chess but this will hopefully be short enough that they cant really drag things out any longer. It might be interesting though if you did just lose when time ran out. Could be interesting - a fast playing delay deck? Would drive me mental though.

It will be curious how the clock interacts with things like responding to attacks - is that a fixed time or part of the defenders game clock.

Malicus
05-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Interesting - it seems to quote more than you actually wrote? Did you delete that part before posting or am I going insane.

Nope its all there now - must be insanity.

ramseytheory
05-23-2013, 08:06 AM

That's what the chess clock system is for. I'm sure you'll be able to find matches with a shorter time on it.

houjix
05-23-2013, 08:06 AM
In MTGO, you lose when your clock runs out.

Any time you have priority, your clock runs, so you'd better be paying attention during your game.

houjix
05-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Oh. I didn't know that. That's pretty awesome. Most games I've played, it has been 1-2 minutes per action. Thanks for the info houjix.

Would it be a viable strategy when your opponent is about to win the game for you to take the rest of your 30 minutes in hope that the other player d/c or lose patience? Like, there is 25 minutes left in the game and you're about to lose. Instead of reacting to their action, you go afk for the next 25 minutes in hope that the other player leave.

I believe they are instituting a 5 min inactivity clock. If you do nothing for 5 mins, you auto-lose.

Liokae
05-23-2013, 08:12 AM

PVP matches have a match timer- you get 30 minutes of time, total, for "thinking it over" type turns. They haven't specified what happens when that runs out; either you straight up lose, or more likely you just get a very small amount of time at any given turn, and it auto passes if you don't move in that period.

Ashenor
05-23-2013, 08:59 AM
I think it goes without saying that UC has no affiliation with Yasi, or the 2 other guilds in his signature i am assuming.

arastor
05-23-2013, 09:02 AM
I think it goes without saying that UC has no affiliation with Yasi, or the 2 other guilds in his signature i am assuming.

Yeah, it's a little more obvious now that he added the other two banners, but I think that's a recent addition, so the initial confusion was understandable.