PDA

View Full Version : Tablet Possibilities

zifster
05-23-2013, 07:54 AM
I know there has been a lot of talk about the legendary update not being exciting, but I just wanted to talk about why I am in fact excited about it. Also while this was always going to be a feature moving it earlier is a big boon and frees up subsequent time for even more features and improvements.

Tablets are a huge advertising possibility.
* Presence in app stores is great, we can get this trending in there and bring in new people who might never look at a PC based game
* It's portable which means we can take this into our local game shops (especially if they have wifi). This would be a great way to show off the game and get more people interested

Tablets increase available play time (not for all but for many!)
* I don't know about the rest of you but a lot of the time I'm watching TV or something like that and messing around on my phone at the same time. With tablet support I'll be able to run some dungeons etc while sitting on my couch. This is huge for me and should be a big boon.

Tablets are getting cheaper all the time
* While these used to be a huge luxury they are getting cheaper and better all the time. You probably won't need the latest and greatest to play hex so getting one second hand is an option too.

Offline mode deck management
* While not a feature yet, what a great possibility! Obviously online access is needed to play, but I don't see any reason why there couldn't be an offline mode which allowed you to play around with your decklists or view downloaded replays offline!

Game store synergies
* People could play in hobby shops etc using tablets they took with them
* Imagine a local tourney which you could also attend from home, perhaps it's invite only to keep that local flavor?
* Platinum cards/codes could be sold out of game shops to add money to hex accounts, this would be a great way to avoid cutting local hobby shops out of the business entirely, and would be great for cash customers.

Anyway this is just a few possibilities I feel have been opened up with this stretch goal, I'm really excited to see how it all turns out and can't wait to play!

MrCwis
05-23-2013, 08:23 AM
It would be awesome if you could go to a hobby shop and play this.

One thing i love about MtG is the atmosphere every friday night, and at big events. If I could bring my tablet or laptop somewhere and play in a mini tournament with others in a "live" enviroment instead of just a virtual one that would be amazing.

zifster
05-23-2013, 08:43 AM
It would be awesome if you could go to a hobby shop and play this.

One thing i love about MtG is the atmosphere every friday night, and at big events. If I could bring my tablet or laptop somewhere and play in a mini tournament with others in a "live" enviroment instead of just a virtual one that would be amazing.

Exactly! I'd love for this to be a game I could play locally with buddies or with more far flung friends. If live spectator viewing is an option you could even put some of the games up on the big screen. (obviously with hands hidden). Maybe tie in webcam views too if there was a mix of local and remote players. Anyway I don't expect all this to be in at the get go but I really do like the potential it has to keep this game exciting.

Tyrfang
05-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Double post

Tyrfang
05-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Should be possible if they add a "find nearby players" feature on their tablet. Not sure about the collusion issue that was discussed earlier though. Maybe as a special mode if you do all local players only.

KingBlackstone
05-23-2013, 09:02 AM
I feel like local Hex tournies would probably not fly with hobby store owners, because they are no longer selling a product related to the event. o:

Digital_Aether
05-23-2013, 09:08 AM
If the game had a casual draft with no fee and no prize, the hobby shop could still run the prize structure? It should also allow for people to join local players without having to worry about scamming the system.

zifster
05-23-2013, 09:27 AM
I feel like local Hex tournies would probably not fly with hobby store owners, because they are no longer selling a product related to the event. o:

Yeah that's why some additional features would be needed, maybe an ability to organize private tournaments and resell hex platinum. It could be similar to steam or the itunes store where they would get a cut of it. That said it certainly is a concern which may not be possible to get around. I think people would appreciate a local way to buy cards (I know many people don't like using credit cards etc for example)

DarkSeverance
05-23-2013, 09:29 AM
I feel like local Hex tournies would probably not fly with hobby store owners, because they are no longer selling a product related to the event. o:I've already had 2 Hobby Stores contact me about finding information and setting up in store events. People in the store playing games, means there are customers in the store buying food, games, etc even if they are in there for another game.

Now if the store doesn't have a lot of room, like some stores do, that is understandable. The stores I'm talking about though have multitude of open game and board game nights. They also realize that a gamer never just plays one and only one game.

KingBlackstone
05-23-2013, 09:40 AM
I've already had 2 Hobby Stores contact me about finding information and setting up in store events. People in the store playing games, means there are customers in the store buying food, games, etc even if they are in there for another game.

Now if the store doesn't have a lot of room, like some stores do, that is understandable. The stores I'm talking about though have multitude of open game and board game nights. They also realize that a gamer never just plays one and only one game.
I stand corrected! That sounds amazing.

LexC
05-23-2013, 09:54 AM
I will say this again, this whole time I needed a reason to get a tablet and now I finall DO!

CoolGrayAJ
05-23-2013, 10:16 AM
The one thing I want in the tablet version is local offline play. I've spent many a time standing in line at Disneyland (shoutouts to Annual Passholders) playing Ascension with my wife on our phones.

tenaciousmonkey
05-23-2013, 11:08 AM
The one thing I want in the tablet version is local offline play.

That is one thing I want too; I asked them about it, and got "Too soon to lock in these details. Our plan is to make sure you have a rewarding tablet experience." back from them. It makes sense, since that was originally a "future goals" type of thing, and we still haven't reached that stretch goal yet. Hopefully they include an option for both online and offline play in the tablet versions; not that it will change my excitement for the game, but it would definitely be a nice addition!

sonejidh
05-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Tablet play is great, especially if you are like me transmuting to work by train for an hour single trip each day! I could also take a laptop but a tablet is a lot easier to put in my bag.

Vibraxus
05-23-2013, 11:22 AM
I do now actually have an incentive to get a tablet.

CoolGrayAJ
05-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Oh, I also hope it supports 1st Gen iPads :(

Stok3d
05-23-2013, 11:28 AM
@Cory: Time to pitch the top 5x Tablet Manufacturers to get Hex default loaded into their games section:

Almost 50 million sold 1st quarter 2013
http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/screen-shot-2013-05-01-at-7-36-52-pm.png?w=615&h=429

Gartner expects that by 2015 unit sales for tablets will hit 337.8 million
(desktop and laptop sales combined will only be 292.2 million.)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10915_3-57577944-8/correction-tablet-pc-sales-projections/