PDA

View Full Version : What If Hex Failed?

Tyrfang
05-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Although it is unlikely at this point, I was wondering what the community would prefer Cryptozoic to do, should the game eventually die out.

I guess the ABSOLUTE worst case scenario is the Hex goes poof and you lose your entire collection and all your money, but I don't see that being likely.

I think that should there be a disastrous event that causes Cryptozoic to ax the game, they would either:

A) Release an app version of their game that has all the released cards with unlimited amounts and sealed/draft modes available as a paid app, given freely to supporters of the game, but stopping development of future content.
B) Sell the rights to another company so they can continue running Hex, as is
C) Release the server info so someone from the community can continue the project
D) Some combination of the above
E) Other?

nicosharp
05-23-2013, 09:25 AM
I wouldn't speculate much on that. They have kept the wowtcg trudging along with a pretty small following. Mechanically the game is designed in a way that many players and myself feel is far superior to MTG.

Before LOL launched, Riot was a team of 20 and only had about 20k ppl in early beta. Give this time and it will grow.

There are no sure bets ever. But they have a good track record, and its something that I think many of us see huge value gains by jumping on board now. It's easy to be skeptical about anything you invest in. That's why you owe it to yourself to make an informed rational decision with your money and to take a educated risk.

ursa23
05-23-2013, 09:29 AM
The way I see it, I'm paying for a game. I've paid much more for games in the past, so this really isn't an "investment" for me. Even if this thing doesn't last more than five years, I will have had a grand old time. Heck, even if it tanks after one year (which I consider unlikely) I will still feel like I have gotten my money out of the deal. Nothing lasts forever, and money is only paper. Live for the now! Or rather, live for September, which cannot get here soon enough.

ringlord
05-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Really not worth thinking about in the depth you're going into. Way too early. If the game fails to catch on then it's worthwhile to start thinking about the possible scenarios.

In the meantime, think positive. If anyone in concerned about their pledge, then just imagine the worst case scenario: the game implodes and disappears in two years' time. If you can't stand to "lose" however much you've pledged if that came to be, then maybe you should have second thoughts or scale back.

Stok3d
05-23-2013, 09:36 AM
F2P PVE holds the key. This in itself will make the difference between 10,000 trying out the game and 1,000,000.

I belive Cryptozoic knows this as Stretch goals now give us 10 dungeons, ability to get paid to make raid bosses (IE: Player made Raids), etc. This game is going to be HIGHLY successful. I'm just glad I found out about this while it was in beta!!!

Jugan
05-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Usually it's B that happens. I've seen it happen a lot of time with different games and other digital TCGs.

CoolGrayAJ
05-23-2013, 10:13 AM
In my visits to the CZE office, one thing permeated through the words of the staff -- they want to make this game as accessible as possible, but give it enough complexity to entice the veteran players.

I wrote in my blog last week (http://coolgraycorner.com/)that the first set falls in line with the accessibility of WoW TCG's March of the Legion, which I personally felt was one of the best introductory sets they've ever made. In my play group alone, that was the time we welcomed a bunch more people into the game.

As long as they keep it accessible, they'll keep attracting new players.

Deathfog
05-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Aside from massive server outage problems, huge economy breaking bugs, chinese farmer invasions, or mass developer firing/quitting; doesn't seem to be any risk of Hex going away in the next few years. A KS this successful pretty much guarantees a strong launch which is all you need to get traction.

Drake6k
05-23-2013, 10:33 AM
I honestly think the one thing that could make Hex fail is if the cards don't have value. The entire thrill of opening boosters (including drafts/sealed) is the chance of getting a valuable (good, powerful) card. Yeah it's nice knowing the card will help your deck, but that only drives me so much. Collecting also depends on card scarcity.

When I was a kid, I would sit my $5 angels and dragons on my desk just to look at them. I literally got satisfaction out of just having something "rare" and "powerful," my binder was my trophy case. If set one never goes out of print and the cards all reach a $0.01 value (eventually), I fear that attachment to certain cards will be diminished (not completely of course), since everyone has one and opening a booster outside drafts/sealed will be pointless.

Jacklau89
05-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Aside from massive server outage problems, huge economy breaking bugs, chinese farmer invasions, or mass developer firing/quitting; doesn't seem to be any risk of Hex going away in the next few years. A KS this successful pretty much guarantees a strong launch which is all you need to get traction.

You forgot the zombie outbreak!:p

But seriously, as long as Hex plays well I could forsee myself dumping some $200+ per month just to crack a full set of card. Should be hard for any good game to fail.

Twztyd
05-23-2013, 10:44 AM
What happens when they take other mmo's offline? All my characters in City of Heroes and Star Wars Galaxies no longer exist anywhere. You just remeber the good times and the friends you have made and move on.

Jacklau89
05-23-2013, 10:48 AM
@Drake6k

I feel the same about card devaluation if they are made available permanently. I suppose its one of the biggest issues we should worry after game launches and then the community shall discuss that when time is right.

nicosharp
05-23-2013, 11:00 AM
I honestly think the one thing that could make Hex fail is if the cards don't have value. The entire thrill of opening boosters (including drafts/sealed) is the chance of getting a valuable (good, powerful) card. Yeah it's nice knowing the card will help your deck, but that only drives me so much. Collecting also depends on card scarcity.

Set 1 is going to have heavy issues with value, given this kickstarter. The value will be heavily dependent upon how long set 1 is available for purchase, and how many players come into the game in the first 4 months. Tablet access, free-to-play, and PvE elements are the biggest 3 things to look at now that will be driving a huge wave / player-base to this game. Let's hope we hit that last stretch. Tablet gamers are going to make set1 valuable, despite the kickstarter card flooding.

JMFD
05-23-2013, 11:02 AM
The game is still four months away from launching and already the concern is whats going to happen when it closes? Shame shame shame.

LNQ
05-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Yeah, ask Angry Birds and Clash of Clans how well bringing people in with a completely F2P full game experience works as a business idea. I think HEX's PvE mode will bring in tons of paying customers making the game very successful. The game failing seems very unlikely.

The guys behind Angry Birds said their business model is to sell without trying to make the sale. That's exactly the idea behind PvE and that is paired with the competitive e-sport angle CZE is aiming at as well. Damn good combo if you ask me.

LordxMugen
05-23-2013, 11:16 AM
your kidding me right? Crypto know how to make card games and already have made over $1 million on their kickstarter as well as have actual experience making compelling PVE card content through their WoWTCG raid and dungeon lines. i see NOTHING to worry about as long as they keep the content challenging and fun.

Tyrfang
05-23-2013, 01:24 PM
your kidding me right? Crypto know how to make card games and already have made over $1 million on their kickstarter as well as have actual experience making compelling PVE card content through their WoWTCG raid and dungeon lines. i see NOTHING to worry about as long as they keep the content challenging and fun.

I don't think you understand what the "What if..." part of my statement meant.