PDA

View Full Version : Sign of Significant Slow Down

MugenMusou
05-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Yesterday was actually the worst pledge total of all time for HEX, which still pulled out over $40k though at this pace we may be barely hitting $1.5M (assuming no further slow down).

http://houshasen.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/dailypledge523.png

I know people got mixed feeling about "Legendary Goal." But the number certainly seemed not reflecting what perhaps Cryptozoic intended i.e. flying off shelves other $250 Tiers.

Don't get me wrong, even today is the last day of Pledge, HEX did 4x of its original goal, which was already high for new digital TCG.

Is this because the bonus added to other $250 were not enough? (I doubt)
Is it because early backers are upset i.e. backing out and net result is not significant growth? (perhaps)
Is there a fix? Sure.

http://houshasen.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/%E3%80%90hex%E3%80%91-sign-of-slowing-down/

Daer
05-23-2013, 09:21 AM
We only need to average 18k a day to meet the last stretch goal. Even today we are on pace for 26k+. Mid-kickstarter slumps are common and Hex has been unusual that it hasn't had any until now. The last few days will pick up again.

RECHiD
05-23-2013, 09:22 AM
I think a lot of people were shuffling around orders (like trading GKs for 250 tiers). A lot of people impulsively jumped on GK in fear of losing out on drafts, but now they can cancel those and buy their favorite 250 and still get a year of drafts. It was also a Wednesday.

houjix
05-23-2013, 09:24 AM
The slow down was bound to happen as the attractive tiers were already taken. Many KS projects slow down within the first week and have a final push at the end. The project has been atypical with its second week spikes due to run on valuable tiers.

Yasi
The kickstarter has already reached the goal so meh.

Stok3d
The Dungeon Crawler will be the next Tier to sell out as it's very alluring with the Legendary stretch goal. Expect that Tier to gain momentum and easily propel us past the final Stretch.

DarkSeverance
05-23-2013, 09:25 AM
It is expected to slow down. The rest of the tiers are ok but most of the "perceived value" tiers have already been gone. The rest are going to be people waiting to see if they have the money to commit and some still on the fence of it.

MugenMusou
05-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Cool. Just needed reassurance. I want this to hit 1.5M. :)

Hieronymous
05-23-2013, 09:29 AM
The game seems to be attracting a narrow group of people willing to spend a lot now for long term bonuses, but hasn't found a midrange or low end market yet. The people not sure about dropping $50 or 20$ haven't been buying in, just the people willing to drop $100+.

Hex has had great success so far but now that all the high-end pledges have been consumed it has to broaden its appeal to continue to raise funding. I think the problem is that they've sold a group of core TCG players on the concept, but not that many MMO or casual TCG players.

arastor
05-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Cool. Just needed reassurance. I want this to hit 1.5M. :)

I don't.
I want it to hit 2M+!

Yasi
05-23-2013, 09:34 AM
The game seems to be attracting a narrow group of people willing to spend a lot now for long term bonuses, but hasn't found a midrange or low end market yet. The people not sure about dropping $50 or 20$ haven't been buying in, just the people willing to drop $100+.

Hex has had great success so far but now that all the high-end pledges have been consumed it has to broaden its appeal to continue to raise funding. I think the problem is that they've sold a group of core TCG players on the concept, but not that many MMO or casual TCG players.

Pretty much sums up the current state of Hex.

Jugan
05-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Should also be noted that the bulk of that $40k came from people buying up the last GK tiers before the announcement was made.

jai151
05-23-2013, 09:40 AM
What you don't see from that graph is number of backers.

While we only did 40k yesterday, we pulled in 327 backers. That is exactly 10 less than the 102k day.

The problem isn't that we're tapering off, it's that the big, flashy tiers (AKA Impulse buys) all sold. So now people are snapping up the lower ones.

ringlord
05-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Should also be noted that the bulk of that $40k came from people buying up the last GK tiers before the announcement was made.

Nope. GK was already gone by that point.

Jugan
05-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Nope. GK was already gone by that point.

GK was not gone before the tally for the previous day was active. I was watching it.

Genocidal
05-23-2013, 09:51 AM
The problem is that there's nowhere for the money to go. Hypothetical situation: Say I'm someone who has heard about this from a friend, website, whatever, and decided to check the Kickstarter out. I like it, and decide to pledge money. If I want to give $250 or less, great, I'm covered. If I want to give anywhere from $251-2499 though... there's no tier for me. So I either back a lower tier, or I don't back at all (no, this isn't rational, but neither are consumers).

Before someone jumps in and says "back multiple tiers!" there's no easy way to do this with Kickstarter, and no indications on the main project page that multiple donation tiers will stack. Anything that makes it harder for people to give money is a bad thing.

Someone suggested a GK-lite, which I've decided to call Noble King: Everything from the King tier. Every unique bonus from the $250 tiers for a year (these bonuses do not stack). $350-400 seems reasonable and would give another surge and a lower risk tier for those who like PvE and PvP but don't know about their longevity with the game.

nearlysober
05-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Is this because the bonus added to other $250 were not enough? Perhaps.

Is it because early backers are upset i.e. backing out and net result is not significant growth? No.

People are not backing out, infact yesterday was not the lowest day for net new adds.

Stop inventing controversy so you have something to blog about.

Daer
05-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Making new kickstarter accounts is pretty easy.

houjix
05-23-2013, 09:55 AM
I can give $1000 and still only take a $250 tier. KS is about donating money to a project. The reward tier you select can only not exceed your donation amount. Unfortunately, people have turned it into maximizing their dollar and not about funding the project.

Jugan
05-23-2013, 09:57 AM
I can give $1000 and still only take a $250 tier. KS is about donating money to a project. The reward tier you select can only not exceed your donation amount. Unfortunately, people have turned it into maximizing their dollar and not about funding the project.

That's what usually happens when you set higher monetary turns for higher investments; I doubt hex would be even at 50% of what it's raised now if there weren't increasingly substantial monetary returns the more you invested.

MatWith1T
05-23-2013, 09:59 AM
What you don't see from that graph is number of backers.

While we only did 40k yesterday, we pulled in 327 backers. That is exactly 10 less than the 102k day.

The problem isn't that we're tapering off, it's that the big, flashy tiers (AKA Impulse buys) all sold. So now people are snapping up the lower ones.

I don't really see that as a problem. At this point, the people who read MMO, TCG and gaming sites on a regular basis are aware of HEX, and the people (like us) who immediately bought into the concept have raised a ton of money buy snatching up what we perceive to be the best value (free cards, lifetime drafts, exclusives). I think the number of people willing to drop $500 on the game, but don't yet know it exists, is close to zero.

The remaining player base is either people who are aware of Hex but skeptical, or casual gamers who are not yet aware of a game that has only existed to the public for about 16 days now. They are more concerned about spending money on a game they won't like or won't play very long than they are about the $500 reward is adequately better than a $250 reward.

That said, I think backers per day is a better metric than money raised per day. The long term health of this game will depend on an active player community who are actually buying content (as opposed to weekly free drafts and exclusive cards for life). As much as I would love more free stuff, CZE shouldn't really be concerned about enticing me; they have $750 from me already, they already have me as a customer. And I think we'll all have a better playing experience playing against tens of thousands of opponents three years from now than if we are all just dueling the same 60 people that have been posting on these forums for the last week.

So I don't think the money drop is a problem; I think the hardcore players are just sufficiently tapped out. Now its time to lure those people still sitting on the fence.

LexC
05-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Before someone jumps in and says "back multiple tiers!" there's no easy way to do this with Kickstarter, and no indications on the main project page that multiple donation tiers will stack. Anything that makes it harder for people to give money is a bad thing.

Someone suggested a GK-lite, which I've decided to call Noble King: Everything from the King tier. Every unique bonus from the $250 tiers for a year (these bonuses do not stack). $350-400 seems reasonable and would give another surge and a lower risk tier for those who like PvE and PvP but don't know about their longevity with the game.

It has been oficially confirmed that up to 4 pledges will be merged in to a single account, they even gave us a breakdown of what will and will not stack.

houjix
05-23-2013, 10:01 AM
That's what usually happens when you set higher monetary turns for higher investments; I doubt hex would be even at 50% of what it's raised now if there weren't increasingly substantial monetary returns the more you invested.

I understand that, but obviously people are donating some weird dollar amounts otherwise there wouldn't be anything in the 1's column other than 5 or 0. People maybe donating a buck or two, to say they backed something. Others might be doing $251 for some unknown reason as well.

Genocidal
05-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Making new kickstarter accounts is pretty easy.
Again, anything that makes it harder for people to give money is bad, regardless of how trivial it may be to some people.

Sure, they can, but that's not how people are wired. They want something in return for their investment and if they can get the same thing for either $250 or $1000, the very large majority will go for the $250 option.

It has been oficially confirmed that up to 4 pledges will be merged in to a single account, they even gave us a breakdown of what will and will not stack.
You and I know this, because we're closely following the project. A potential new backer only looking at the main project page has no confirmation that this is the case.

houjix
05-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Again, anything that makes it harder for people to give money is bad, regardless of how trivial it may be to some people.

Sure, they can, but that's not how people are wired. They want something in return for their investment and if they can get the same thing for either $250 or $1000, the very large majority will go for the $250 option.

Agreed, but part of the point of donating is making sure they make the best game possible. So it all comes down to do you see yourself as an investor with an expected rate of return, or as a donor getting a thank you gift for donating?

nearlysober
05-23-2013, 10:28 AM

I don't think the disparity is really all that bad... taking a look at Kickstarter:
(Counting the people we know pledge via PayPal due to limit decreases)

If you draw a line at $100, then:
3,327 (45%) people have pledged more than $100
3,986 (55%) people have pledged less than $100

Now, factor in that even a casual TCG player knows that boosters are a significant cost of playing TCGs, and looking at the insane value that King Tier provides, and I would say King should be lumped in with the "normal" people making the cutoff $120.

Justification? I casually play WoWTCG, I've never played Magic... I looked at this Kickstarter and I knew King was my "starting point".

Making King Tier the cutoff:
2,331 (32%) people have pledged higher than King
4,988 (68%) people have pledged King or lower

But I agree with you that I would rather see thousands more pledges coming in at low levels, even if it means we don't hit the final stretch goal. It will mean a larger player base at launch, which will help spread the word. Although ideally we get a few thousand more backers AND hit the stretch goal, because being free in app stores at launch will also help spread the word.

It looks like we'll probably hit about 10,000 backers by the end of the KickStarter. If there's no other way into BETA, that will be our BETA group, and it will be up to those 10,000 people to really start sharing their vision of the game to get people ready to buy in at launch.